Note to New Members ×

Coiler - 2008 Flame top sheet on metal

Pat Donnelly

when you're cutting the polycarb, use a jigsaw or circular saw.

don't use a dremel tool like me :smashfrea

PS if you want to paint them afterwards go to a hobby store and look for some Pacra spray paint. it's used for RC car bodies...it binds to the polycarb (so it wont scratch)

Love the look of those flames! That is a great improvement over the old flames. Had I seen those as an option, I would have been torn. But I still love my Ruskola Red. It had its first ride yesterday. Performed beautifully. It is a pleasure to ride something that rides as good as it looks!! :biggthump

It's a PR 178 with added rounded tail (to protect the metal) so it actually comes out to be a 181 but it's really a 178, 13.2 SCR and 19.5 waist. It's a duplicate of the board I rode last year to test and Pat got one and I have 3 more showing up at my door step tomorrow.... :1luvu::1luvu::1luvu:

I had been riding mostly a 186 and 196 and once in a while a 172 but sold them all and just riding this 178 now. Nearly does it all....although I do have another test board coming too :lol: for this season.

JoelP

Buggs,

Going with risers to protect the board. My 210 lbs. might stress the board a bit more than a 160 lb rider.

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=17737

http://www.catek.com/snowboard-binding-spacers.htm

BTW - uncle smooth is getting a copy of this board too.

BShaw - has your e-mail addy changed? and yes, PK this Saturday but this board may have to wait to be prepped as I am traveling.

Will you be at Pine Knob this weekend, I just got my Orange Titanal 170 EX yesterday. Maybe I can meet you out there.

you're gonna love the EX, my first Coiler was an EX but this board looks beyond bada$$. :cool::biggthump

Joel, sounds like a great reason for a week in colorado to demo coilers(r&d).

until then, waiting to demo bob's metal coiler.

Buggs, I emailed you yesterday , too. Got a new email ? send it to evil ?

joel, a full report would be appreciated :eplus2:

That board as actually 19 wide as was the previous model that everyone liked so much. Just to clarify.

Things are really going well other than the fact that I am behind schedule as usual as I am getting in a load of testing and really getting to know the ins and outs of the T construction boards. Have been working on what I will call "NSR" ( new school race ) and will today be testing the first NSF ( yep, new school freecarve) design. These utilize the design that Kessler has seen success with in their race models as the fundamentals of it really make sense. Now it is just a matter of detuning the design to levels to be enjoyed by different riders. It pretty much is the decambering of the tips and tails and the amount you do it to get a board that is long yet manageable. The T boards if built long and stiff are just a killer to ride. Someone had mentioned testing Bob Deas metal Coiler but that is not the design I am now working on and is somewhat of a challenging board to ride for reasons mentioned before, long and stiff! The new designs hold extremely well and are stiff enough to feel powerful while still not being difficult to slide. Also they have a more efficient carve which is not for everyone as the end of the turn is pretty fast due to taper and stiffness in the tail so you don't get the board turning under you as much as a regular design. This design is effective especially in the mid 180 sizes while below that you can still get away with full power from a fully cambered board. This of course depends on the riders weight and aggressiveness. I have already done some of this in a few lighter riders boards and the results have been extremely positive! These boards were pretty much standard designs that just had them depowered a bit for the lighter riders. So for now I see 2 distinct designs emerging. The standard shapes which are great for all around use done in the metal with slight depowering if necessary for lighter riders and then the new school stuff for 180 plus boards utilizing the newer sidecuts and thickness profiles which make for more of a speed thrill with very powerful carves. Different laminations with glass vs carbon will also allow for various flex characteristics for the different types of boards. Currently carve oriented get more carbon for pop and AM models get more glass for an easier flex characteristic.

Since I can't figure out how the hell to put a few pics up here I will email them to Mike T as I bet he can do it.

The front view show the NSR on the right and NSF on left .This is the internal look before topsheet install. Side view has NSR on top and NSF on bottom. NSF has a 2cm longer nose to give it a bit more rise. Notice how the nose rise start approx 30 cms back! End view is just to scare off the timid :D

2 tops to install then off to test!

Cheers, BV

Its gonna be an interesting season!!

It is just so cool that a custom builder is willing to be as interactive with the community as you are Bruce.I have an AM 182 you built for Mike T. and love it.It is a great starting point for me to be able to request certain features from you when I do order the first custom board I will have owned.Though I have not dealt with you directly yet,the quality and performance of this board and your involvement with and concern for the carving community have made me a future customer.Thanks.Steve