Note to New Members ×

Finally Got My Fp!!!

paragonUE

I highly recommend coming out the ECES to demo some newer gear, it will be an eye opener. I rode FP's for years until I demoed a Donek :D

Ditto.

I keep seeing folks scooping up all these older boards and such while my practically brand new Superboard Coiler sits in my garage awaiting a new home (@ 40% of the new price mind you). Get emails from tire kickers, send a reply, never hear from them again...

Pay a little extra and get a REAL board.

That NOS FP there will make a great rock board though. :biggthump

I still like my old school Burton Alp and UP and race plate bindings. But then I may just not know any better. Besides, I only get to ride about half a dozen days a year anyway, so I'm sure my lack of skill is holding me back way more than my equipment.

However, I did just buy a new Prior 4WD, so maybe I will soon discover the wonders of the newer designs. Can't wait to try it out.

Congratulations, Paragon! Have fun!

C'mon, guys - you've probably had a time when a couple hundred bucks for a new set up was a big stretch. Besides, this is a gateway drug. Before long, he'll try a Coiler or something. Next thing you know, he'll be selling his organs and rights to his first born....

Congratulations, Paragon! Have fun!

C'mon, guys - you've probably had a time when a couple hundred bucks for a new set up was a big stretch. Besides, this is a gateway drug. Before long, he'll try a Coiler or something. Next thing you know, he'll be selling his organs and rights to his first born....

spot on! that is, if this weekends conditions dont break him before he can figure out alpine:eplus2:

The FP isnt the best board out there, but its hard to beat the price, and it will carve (very well, as i have seen from other riders on FPs). On top of that, this kid's going to be riding some pretty narrow terrain and the smaller size might come in handy there too (keep in mind too that most normal snowboarders dont even ride boards that are 160+ cm, and im pretty sure after riding my longboard 175 he's not going to want to ride something that long for a while:p ). Hopefully we won't have an icy saturday at Jiminy peak!

I remember years ago (probably at least 10 years ago) I took a carving/racing clinic at The Big Mountain. (I was probably on an Asym Air or Asym Alp back then.) For a couple of the days some olympic snowboard team members showed up on their FP's and rode with us. These guys were riding trees, bumps, doing jumps, riding backwards, everything on those FP's. I was amazed. I guess when you ride 300 days a year you get that good. Like I said earlier, it's not my old equipment holding me back, I just plain suck :) :o .

Don't get me wrong, Billy Bordy on a FP (or anything for that matter) will make most Joe carvers look like posers, but it doesn't mean the FP is the best tool for the job. Sub-Par at best IMHO, but to each his own.

I can understand financial reasons for not wanting a Coiler, Prior, Donek, Madd, etc., but I see a trend of folks buying NOS boards over and over, or used FP/UP's and such because they can get them on the cheap. Why not save a little more and get a nicer used board from the classifieds and such? This guy spent $160 for example....double that and you can get a Madd 170 or Prior WCR RIGHT NOW in the classifieds. Actually less than double that for the Madd. So you're telling me ANYONE is going to prefer a FP160 over a Madd 170? I seriously doubt it. And a Madd 170 isn't a hard beast to tame either because I tamed one after about three turns and I'm intermidiate at best.

This is spoken by somebody whom started out with the cheap route and regrets wasting the money on them. Sure you need to start somewhere, but don't get caught up in it. Maybe keep the FP for a early season/rock board, but your next purchase should seriously be a "newer" board IMHO. If you keep nickel and diming you are seriously shorting yourself on all this great technology that these custom board builds are providing us. :biggthump

If it puts a smile on your face by all means ride whatever you like, but I promise you that smile would be bigger on a Coiler vs a FP. :argue:

A couple of years ago, a friend loaned me an FP167 and I was loving that thing. I was previously on a Prior 174 AWD and the narrower board was a revelation. Since then, I've owned a Madd, a Volkl RT and a Coiler and I would say that none of them were that much better than the Burton that I would ever dis the FP and call it a rock board.

A couple of years ago, a friend loaned me an FP167 and I was loving that thing. I was previously on a Prior 174 AWD and the narrower board was a revelation. Since then, I've owned a Madd, a Volkl RT and a Coiler and I would say that none of them were that much better than the Burton that I would ever dis the FP and call it a rock board.

I don't think calling it a rock board is a dis. I ride my rock board more than my "new" board(s). I love my rock board too, but I'd rather be on the Coiler.

A rock board for me is something cheap that I don't mind breaking due to crummy conditions. It doesn't mean it's a piece of junk or worthless. It just means it won't cost me a small fortune to replace when I hit a stump, log, boulder, etc.

As far as your FP love: Give Bruce the dimensions of that FP167 and I bet he'll make it better. Or Sean, or Chris...

So you're telling me ANYONE is going to prefer a FP160 over a Madd 170? I seriously doubt it. And a Madd 170 isn't a hard beast to tame either because I tamed one after about three turns and I'm intermidiate at best.

I owned a Madd 170 for about 2 weeks. Never liked it. I liked my FP160 and FP167 better. Sold the Madd quickly. Since then, I picked up a Volkl RT 168 which is a bit livelier than the FP but I could easily go back to the Burton and not feel like I'm missing anything.

The FP160 is a great board for doing quick, short turns on a crowded or narrow hill. It's a like a little dart. Not all of us want to make big GS turns all the time.

As far as your FP love: Give Bruce the dimensions of that FP167 and I bet he'll make it better. Or Sean, or Chris...

I have a AWD 174 hand picked by Chris after a day of riding with him. I have a RaceCarve custom made by Bruce that's been my primary ride for 3 seasons. I don't own a Donek yet but if the U.S. dollar keeps sliding, I might have to order one. What I am saying is that the custom, high end boards are great but there is nothing wrong with Burton Factory Primes.

I prefer my Coiler and Volkl to the FP but if I broke both and had to ride my Factory Prime, I don't think my riding would suffer one iota.

If you keep nickel and diming you are seriously shorting yourself on all this great technology that these custom board builds are providing us. :biggthump

If it puts a smile on your face by all means ride whatever you like, but I promise you that smile would be bigger on a Coiler vs a FP. :argue:

SOmething just dawned on me...

an overwhelming amount of people who post here are adults who have fairly set careers and at least a little bit of financial security. Paragon is in high school:lol:

like i said, i paid $160 for it, thats the highest price i could afford, my whole hardboot setup, $205. Thats NOS FP160, burton rat trap race plates, and burton winds i came by through POW. perfect for me because of afore mentioned low price. i was gonna be on a nidecker GS custom, but it got sent back to thor looking like it had been shut in a door a few times:( so heres some pictures, enjoy if the boards low quality doesnt burn out your retinas

l_1a3367c07a361104c8d52ef0f68d4612.jpg

l_3cde4f50614ef782bd1b882b03385302.jpg

l_c470995dc317b5cf17e91935cf04f3a0.jpg

l_b59e5113f486fca8734efcb82c82428a.jpg

Very diplomatic of you. In other words, there are a lot of old farts on here.

not so, what im trying to say is that the idea of "pay more and get what you really want" should be geared more towards people who actually have the means to do it.

Looks like a perfectly good setup to me.

Your binding angles look steeper than they need to be, though. I'd start with setting the rear binding so the toe and heel of your boot are right at the edges, then set the front about 3 degrees steeper. I'm guessing that would give you about 60f/57r or 57f/54r on that board.