Note to New Members ×

first day on new boots and TD2's

svr

Tried my new setup of Garmont Megarides with TD2's on my tanker. We had planned to hike at Tateyama (Toyama Prefecture), but the snowstorm that hit the west coast last wednesday closed the roads there, so we went to opening day at Kagura instead. 60cm base with 1 meter of powder from the big storm the night before. It was an epic day and I love the bindings and the boots are pretty good too. I am going to wait until I get to ride them on some groomers and will play with ride and walk modes a bit more, but my days of softbooting may be coming to an end as this setup has been pretty amazing so far. I may take the td2's into the machine shop on base to remove some material from the base plates and the center disks to make them lighter and I put golf balls with 3mm climbing rope on the toe bails to make a quick release for avy conditions (saw a great pic of this over on Backcountry World Forums). I also ordered a suspension kit to give it a try with the setup. The only adjustment from my normal setup I had to make was to add a couple more degrees of forward angle to my front foot. My stance setup ended up being front 37 degrees, back 15 with a 20.5 inch stance. The other guy is my friend Andy with his 04-05 tanker with his Catek FR1 Pro's and Naomi on a Rad-Air Kick (her pic is to show how much new snow they got...that is what we spent most of the day riding in outside of the groomed runs and when we first got there, there where 3 runs they did not groom at all and it was powder heaven).

cheers and hope you are all getting snow.

sandy

post-420-141842241152_thumb.jpg

post-420-141842241153_thumb.jpg

post-420-141842241154_thumb.jpg

b0ardski, yes I agree completely that intec step ins would be better, but the boots I have are not compatible and I am not sure if/how to modify them to work with intecs, so I decided to go with this as an alternative for now.

Pebu, the ball does bounce a little bit, but not as bad as you might think, and I had no issues with it trying to pull the bails open even in the trees.

Jim, yes, I wish I was going to be in the neighborhood to join the party, but won't be able to make it now...I am planning to come to portland to ride in february so will hopefully get to see you then, and as for the boots, good luck hunting for a better deal on them. I also made one other change to the boots by adding the deeluxe lace trim to the gfit3 liners as they had a small issue with heal lift when in walk/tour mode even after heat molding them, but the lace trim fixed the problem.

if that's a 10 pound golfball that's possible, but realistically, if your bindings are loose enough to be popped open by the weight of a golfball, how the hell are you staying clamped-in in a heelside turn?

granted.

But still, if going way off piste it seems the possibility of catching it on a branch or something seems risky.

Pow, I had the opportunity to take my boots to a shop here and compare them with the Track 225's and here are my thoughts:

The fit is very close, but I feel the megarides are slightly wider and flex is similar in standard configuration, but the megarides can be setup in tour+walk mode with the buckles and lean adjuster and they become a lot softer. Also, the megarides are just slightly longer sole length and are not beveled like the deeluxes. Walking and hiking in the Megarides has been great and very comparable to my stiff softboots. And lastly, the megarides are a lot lighter (sorry, did not have a scale to get actuall numbers). My only real complaint about the megarides is that they are not intec compatible and they do not have much lateral flex ( I do not want a lot, but a little would be nice), and the price of the megarides is quite a bit more than the deeluxe's. Hope that helps.

Pow, I had the opportunity to take my boots to a shop here and compare them with the Track 225's and here are my thoughts:

The fit is very close, but I feel the megarides are slightly wider and flex is similar in standard configuration, but the megarides can be setup in tour+walk mode with the buckles and lean adjuster and they become a lot softer. Also, the megarides are just slightly longer sole length and are not beveled like the deeluxes. Walking and hiking in the Megarides has been great and very comparable to my stiff softboots. And lastly, the megarides are a lot lighter (sorry, did not have a scale to get actuall numbers). My only real complaint about the megarides is that they are not intec compatible and they do not have much lateral flex ( I do not want a lot, but a little would be nice), and the price of the megarides is quite a bit more than the deeluxe's. Hope that helps.

what soft boots do you have?

Divebomber, I have three pairs of softboots that I use:

Salamon malamutes, Deeluxe Sparks, and Vans Fargo Focus

And yes the Megarides are stiffer than them, but it is the closest match to my needs that I have been able to find.

Looking at your setup makes me want to go out and put my TD2's on my 192. As far as the Intec question goes, I do not believe you could safely remove enough shell material on any of the A/T boots out there to use them. Likewise, the heel would need to be ground down so far they wouldn't be safe, at least in my mind. I, like several others, have wondered about putting a Clicker plate in the sole of an A/T boot. I thought I saw where it had been done once, but cannot find it anywhere.

terekhov, yes there are three lean adjustment settings for the megaride. the angles are 19, 24, and free (walk mode) and I have read that someone has removed the metal lean adjuster and added another hole to it so they could get even more lean out of the boots (I believe it was Zach from here on BOL). I wear a 28 megaride and a 28 deeluxe. the megarides have a slightly more comfortable fit (a little roomier and wider than the deeluxes). I cannot say for the heads as I have never tried them sorry.