Note to New Members ×

My First Race

dantheman0177

I have managed to get myself onto a work snowboard team for an industry race weekend (pretty cool when work gives us days off and cash to go riding for 5 days).

I've never even run a set of gates before, let alone raced, and while I am likely to be the only guy riding plates (apparently it gets pretty competitive in the skiing races but the boarding is still mostly jibbers trying to go fast on their soft gear while scoring a weekend on the booze courtesy of their respective firms) I don't want to make a complete idiot out of myself. Indeed, if I am the only guy riding a hard set up, if I don't win, I'm really going to look like a fool to everyone else!

So, my question is, if you could narrow it down, what is THE most important thing to do or concentrate on to be sure of getting down the course well?

Turn above the gate, not as you pass it. If you are running directly at the gate, and then turn, you will be travelling futher across the hill. if you turn above the gate, such that when you are the gate you are already travelilng toward the next gate, you will be much faster. Also, put your board and carve your turn smoothly and roundly. sharp turns with a quick body action promote skidding, which is slow.

The most important thing is to go and run a NASTAR race or two before the weekend. You can read all you want here, but unless you try a set or two of gates before the race all you're going to be able to think of on the hill is "oh **** gotta turn now." Recreational races aren't usually too hard as far as sets go, but it takes a bit of practice to be truly "comfortable." The most important thing is probably what Noah said and that is to turn before the gate....once you're late you can almost never get it back without skidding.

Heh...didn't see where he was from. I know NASTAR gates hurt if you hit them, but I was only suggesting it so he can get an idea what its like to be in a course. Its not very easy to find snowboard gates set up for public use on a regular basis. There's also a good chance they won't be using snowboard gates for their fun race and you definitely run a different line on skier gates than you do on the stubbies.

I agree with inkaholic.

One of the biggest hurdles I've seen with beginning racers is not looking up,

and planning/preparing for their next turn. In almost all forms of racing it's incredibly easy to target fixate - Don't watch your board, and don't let your eyes drop to watch the gate as you slide by. Looking ahead will really give you

time to mentally prepare, and hopefully avoid being late.

i'm also pretty sure they don;t have NASTAR in Australia...but I'm not sure. maybe something similar

Actually it is being run in Italy. I'm living and working in London at the moment.

But they do occasionally set up some gates in Oz, but it's not a regular thing, because neither is the snow!!!

Ride softboots so you don't look like a fool. I'd definitely see if you can run a course before doing this one. The high line and looking ahead are incredibly important. In addition to those two my biggest trouble was getting used to carving turns inside ruts and on ice (depending on the conditions and how many people go in front of you)

Is there a snowboarding rule for missing a gate? With skiing if you miss one you can hike up the length of two gates and not be DNFd (did not finish). I think you can even lose a ski within the last two gates of the race and finish.

Ride softboots so you don't look like a fool.

Well I look like a fool at the best of times (just ask my friends), but the bigger issue with that suggestion is that I only have hard boots over here. My softies are stashed away in a very full shipping container on my parent's farm back home.

Ride softboots so you don't look like a fool. I'd definitely see if you can run a course before doing this one. The high line and looking ahead are incredibly important. In addition to those two my biggest trouble was getting used to carving turns inside ruts and on ice (depending on the conditions and how many people go in front of you)

Is there a snowboarding rule for missing a gate? With skiing if you miss one you can hike up the length of two gates and not be DNFd (did not finish). I think you can even lose a ski within the last two gates of the race and finish.

You may Hike in snowboarding, with one foot out the binding. You must have both feet in the binding to pass a gate legally, but you can finish with one foot out. So if you crash between the last gate and the finish, you can unstrap and push your way into the finish

Actually it is being run in Italy. I'm living and working in London at the moment.

But they do occasionally set up some gates in Oz, but it's not a regular thing, because neither is the snow!!!

Fair enough. I thought that's where you are...I even checked your profile, but it still says australia, so I thought maybe you headed home.

Nevertheless, still no NASTAR (NAtional STAndard Race) in Italy (I dont; think), Its a US thing. probably some equivalent though...

Ok, I'll assume it's GS format, not PGS...

If there's no practice run (and there probably won't be one), it is crucial that you still know the course. Skid slowly, or walk down, next to the course, concentrate on the gates, rhytm, rollers, visulise yourself going down the course, even imagine dynamics of your body. Repeat until you uknow it by hart...

Im no coach so a grain of salt is needed here: Stay relaxed, dont get psyched out before the first run. Try to relax in the starting gate, it can be intimidating looking at the course for the first time. As was said before, stay smooth and look ahead so you have time to set up the gates and react to conditions like ruts. Keep your hands off of the snow, you dont want to catch a gate or get turned wrong by having you hand pulled back. Turn early so you are set up for the next gate (if Im wrong, coaches chime in here) and most important is have fun. The hard boots will be fine im sure. Gotta let us know how it turns out!

• 2 weeks later...

My advice:

1. Close your eyes and take a couple of deep breaths before you start (trust me, you'll forget).

2. Look through the gate towards your next turn, not at the gate you are approaching. This will help you develop a better path through the course.

3. Turn left, turn right, repeat- just like you do when you free ride.

4. Have fun, because even if you lose the race, you can always win the party :)