Note to New Members ×

Coiler Nose folding

Fleaman

I have never folded my Coiler I was just wondering if anyone has had the same experience. I was carving in the back seat today because of the slushy conditions but got caught a few times and the board pulled through.

Is it Bruce's almighty power guiding us or are we just lucky.

IMHO it's both...but Bruce's genius is that he designs a boards allow us to recover from our mistakes. I can't think of the number of times that I have ended up driving from the back on my RC and been able to recover. I more inclined to believe it's the board than my skills

I have no experience with Coilers (not yet :eplus2: ), but someone did post about folding their Coiler and part of the edge of the board separated from the rest of the board. It happened around the time when everyone was breaking their boards (Beginning-Middle of March).

Edit: found it

Folded Coiler

there's a picture in the middle of the thread. there you go, even the might coiler can be folded AND broken...

I have never folded my Coiler I was just wondering if anyone has had the same experience. I was carving in the back seat today because of the slushy conditions but got caught a few times and the board pulled through.

Is it Bruce's almighty power guiding us or are we just lucky.

I've yet to fold any of mine

You guys just aren't trying hard enough. ;) You can fold any board. I've done it twice on my stiff-ish RC. First time, I was riding way too aggressively and forward for the soft snow conditions. The second time, I hit a bank of soft snow just as I was initiating a turn. That time, I really stuffed it and damaged the board as I documented in another thread. The fact that it didn't snap but merely bent the metal edge is testament to the quality of Bruce's construction.

What about other mfg;s like Donek, do their boards fold easily?

I wonder if it is the wood selection.

Flex pattern IMHO - Doneks have a softer nose than Coilers and tend to have a stiffer mid-section. If you are get too far forward in an attempt to make the mid section bend, the nose bends too much over the bars you go. A nose fold finally did my Axis 172 in after ~120 riding days. Fortunately I was OK. I've got two other Doneks now that I've ridden hard and no nose folding... although I find I have to change my technqiue a bit from when I am on a Coiler.

is the master of fine tuning flex to the rider, thats the biggest part of it I think

also his boards tend to have a more even flex which also helps with that

probably the above reasons are why I like coilers better than the other two brands by a long shot.

In general coilers tend to be more predictable.

What mikeT says about the Axis is the exact reason I think the coiler AM is the best freecarver out there because the approach to flex is totally different. the stiff nose and tail with a soft mid on the coilers works so much better in varied conditions once you get used to it. the axis to me is glorified burton Alp or something, it sounds harsh but I mean it in reference to the flex pattern and what happens if you hit a soft spot on one