Note to New Members ×

Question about skiis

skategoat

first off- the skis are all way more versatile than they were ten years ago- even some of the most specialized ones. I own a pair of head twin tips that I use for regular skiing all over and I don't do jumps and there isn't powder out here. They are great skis though and I actually raced on them last year with the ski team. Thank goodness I now have an additional pair of slalom skis.

the current trend is to increase the width of skis- so they are actually producing "fatter" skis and people are asking for them in stores more (according to my former boss in the Ski store)

BUT I'd say they probably are posers if they actually never go to parks. Or you could just be catching them on a bad park day (such as no snow) and unlike many people who alpine board, they may actually only have one set of equipment. (they are probably posers)

if we're going to say that anyone on park skis, outside of a park, is a poser, then it would follow that we should call anyone on a race snowboard, outside of a course, a poser, as well.

....clearly, neither case is true- park skis are fun for all manner of riding, and while they're not my bag (as freestyle snowboards are not), I use 'em occasionally and find them enjoyable for bumping, trees, crud, etc. ....just a different sport, in many ways, than standard alpine skiing, and fun in more places than the park.

have we come this full circle, now, that we judge skiers' choice of ride?

:freak3:

fun is fun.

I ski on K2 Public enemy skis - 85mm waist, 179, twin tip.

I do occasionally go in the park.

I spend the bulk of my time skiing backwards in front of my son.

Am I A Poser?

Or did I pick the right tool for the job?

these skis aren't going to perform well in a slalom course...but I haven't ski raced in 30 years, and I never will again.

they are the right stiffness, the right length, and the right shape for what I do. I'm not much of a skier, but if I'm going to own a pair of skis (Never going to be a ski quiver owner, unlike snowboards) I want something that will perform in any condition I'm in, whether it be east coast Ice or Utah Blower.

Fashion and perception is a big factor in equipment choice. Always has been. If you don't think there's any posing happening on the ski slopes, then you're not paying attention.

In the good old days, it was all about length. A skier would proudly proclaim "I ride 210s" and then skid around the blue squares until he could quit at lunchtime. Same thing goes for race skiis. So many people were and still are riding race skiis when they really should be on something softer.

So when I see a specialty product in an environment where they don't belong, I tend to be skeptical. Are they doing it because it's trendy or is there a legitimate reason to be riding super fat skiis on groomed Eastern trails?

Since I've been threatening to buy skiis for 2 seasons, I'm wondering what's up with the fat skiis and twin tips. My teenage, non-skiing son keeps telling me to buy twin tips which makes me immediately suspicious. I guess I'll have to try out a demo set to see for myself.

And let's not fool ourselves, there's a lot of alpine snowboarders riding stuff that's too long and too stiff.

Fashion and perception is a big factor in equipment choice. Always has been. If you don't think there's any posing happening on the ski slopes, then you're not paying attention.

In the good old days, it was all about length. A skier would proudly proclaim "I ride 210s" and then skid around the blue squares until he could quit at lunchtime. Same thing goes for race skiis. So many people were and still are riding race skiis when they really should be on something softer.

So when I see a specialty product in an environment where they don't belong, I tend to be skeptical. Are they doing it because it's trendy or is there a legitimate reason to be riding super fat skiis on groomed Eastern trails?

Since I've been threatening to buy skiis for 2 seasons, I'm wondering what's up with the fat skiis and twin tips. My teenage, non-skiing son keeps telling me to buy twin tips which makes me immediately suspicious. I guess I'll have to try out a demo set to see for myself.

And let's not fool ourselves, there's a lot of alpine snowboarders riding stuff that's too long and too stiff.

you are correct.

go demo a few skis - carving skis, twin tips, whatever you want. just like picking a board, figure out what you'll use it for. I bought the PE's because they are stiffer than most park skis, carve well, and are wide enough to handle a little powder if I happen to find it, but not so wide that it becomes a burden on the hardpack. I wanted the twin tip because I am teaching my son and I go backwards alot.

Oh, and I got them off Steep and Cheap for $200

I tried some Solomon twins and they were like noodles the were so flexible- definitely NOT the thing for the east coast. My current twins are Head Madtrix which are actually on the stiffer end of twins so I highly recommend those if you will be touching ice. As a westerner this took getting used to no matter what the equipment was though- as a carver you'll know the power of a diamond stone :biggthump

Guest theduckllr

Assomiglio a quella dichiarazione

(I resemble that statement)

After trying a few different (softer) board this year, I found that I can turn alot harder and sharper then the old Factory Prime. Sure, she's faster then hell, but for the extreme carve action that gets my rocks off, its clearly not the best tool in the shed.:cool:

I don't know why I fell into that habit. I guess because skiing is spelled with two ii's, I started spelling skiis the same way. I'll stoop noow.

Actually, I spell it that way most of the time, as well.

Not sure why- there has to be some recurrent precedent somewhere. Better than spelling it "skies".....;)

I ride Atomic Metron B5s - they're wider than a mid fat powder ski in the tip n tail... but they run a 12m radius (on the 172)... they really rip on the steeps and handle great at speed - they hold tight on our Sugarloaf windpack. They can't be beat in our East Coast crud :D They really float on top of our wet snow and spring slop... take up the speed an extra notch and the float is awesome.

Also works sweet in deep western powder (or our rare Eastern pow pow). Best all round ski ever in my books - I LOVE em!

metronb5.jpg

I used to always ride race skis as that is what I did and just got used to using them everywhere. After boarding for a long time now, I started my son out on skis and had to go back to skis. I had a nice pair of fairly new Volkl race skis that were still current as far as sidecut and length go, but they were kicking my A** all over the hill becasue they were way to stiff for my ability level now. I started looking around for a high-end all mountain ski and found that at least 80% of them were all twin tips now. I think they did that because of the perception, and marketing. They will ride backwards, but their flex pattern is more directional just like an all-mountain snowboard. I like having the twins becasue I can go backwards when need be, and the backs slide down the back end of moguls real nice :) I think the trend toward fat skis is a little ridiculous if you're not riding where there's lots of powder. Even wit hthe same sidecut radius you're adding weight, and time on edge to edge transfers so it makes no sense. I've been on them and they are not any more stable than a thinner ski. I definitely think that it is definitely a marketing ploy, and anyone in the Midwest who advises their customers to buy a fat ski when they do 90% of their skiing here is doing them a disservice.

My wife demo'd a pair of Metrons in about a 152cm length. The pair with bindings had to weigh 40 pounds, no joke. WTF? :smashfrea

I have the M11's, 172 cm. They are heavy, but not THAT heavy. Probably about on par as a 185 Tinkler with binding plate.

This was my 1st pair of skis in about 15 years so I don't have anything modern to compare 'em to but they are super easy to carve on and they plow through anything. Kind of like the Coiler AM of skis. (In fact, my Coiler AM is also a 172 with a 12 m sidecut!) I use them mainly for chasing my 4yo on her skis, which includes fishing her out of freshies occasionally.

I would never in a million years pay the full retail on these... got 'em lightly used from a fellow Bomberite for a fraction of the price fortunately.

My wife demo'd a pair of Metrons in about a 152cm length. The pair with bindings had to weigh 40 pounds, no joke. WTF? :smashfrea

I bought a pair of Atomic SX:11s two season ago and I thought the same thing. So heavy. I took them back to the store and I was told that the weight is there for stability and for crud-busting. I can understand that but trying to make quick turns on steep slopes was very tiring. The store took them back for full credit. I still haven't bought a new pair though. I'm told that the Elan Speedwaves are light. I'll have to demo those next season.

Metrons in about a 152cm length. The pair with bindings had to weigh 40 pounds, no joke. WTF? :smashfrea

I've tried M9s in 157. Heaviest pair of skis I've ever tried, but probably the most fun too. Gargantuan edge hold, ski EC with no problem. Faster I went, the better they carved. I couldn't find the top speed. Impressive for short ski.

Walking uphill was another story...

My wife dismissed the Metrons out of hand simply due to the weight, and I'm sure I would too. She ended up with the black Volkl Supersports with the 5 star graphics. They must weigh at most 2/3rds that of the Metrons, and she loves them.

I inherited a pair of hammy-down Fischer RC4's from my dad - 170cm, 15m, lightweight, very fun! Had my first day on shapers this year and had a blast. I'm going to ski more when conditions aren't good for (snowboard) carving.

My brother has some all-stars and they sure seem like some nice skis. They're pretty heavy, but they sure got some snap to them. He actually boots out every once in a while in some of the softer snow. They carve pretty nicely.

He's also got some Porches. I believe they're P60s, but don't quote me on that. They're volkls with a porsche brand, but I think they're alot more damp.

got me a pair of Salomon Teneighty Lab CRs but haven't gotten around to mounting them up yet.

[180cm] 113 / 79 / 106mm

Turn Radius: 20.5m

Angie's buddy was tearing it up sunday at KMart on skiis.

Sorry, but it still looks like a ton o' fun :biggthump

Born from the need to push the limits of reason, the Salomon Teneighty CR Lab Alpine Ski is an aggressive ride for those who attack the entire mountain. All-mountain dominator C.R. Johnson designed the Teneighty Lab CR to match his big-mountain freestyle riding. Capable of hammering just as hard in parks as in backcountry, C.R. Johnson is a true all-around skier and this ski reflects his versatility. Salomon's Teneighty CR Lab Ski encourages you to blend your freestyle and big-mountain skills. The aggressive sidecut gives the Lab CR catlike agility while allowing it to straight run like the Tokyo-Osaka Bullet train. This ski has one purpose: aggressive big-mountain freestyle progression.

Bottom Line: The gnarlier the line, the happier the Teneighty Lab CR. :eplus2:

post-123-141842231674_thumb.jpg

yup, SAC deal-only $219 delivered, pretty sweet to get back into it.

those PEs for $187.50 were too short, my 180s seem too short. Esp. when I rode 200s, 203s & 207s back in the day. I loved my black K2 TNCs until I snapped one at Stowe :mad: . DOH !