Note to New Members ×

75 runs today

Fastskiguy

Oh baby, great midwest conditions, looped the high speed lift at Alpine Valley Wisconsin 75 times today. Gotta love 350 vertical feet! Great cord...for the first hour, then all arcs baby! Totally bitchin'!

I'm gonna do 100 in a day this year. I'm thinking a cool name (Alpine Valley 100?), maybe an annual event, oh yeah, I've got the fever! I'm thinking achievement pins, a log book of all that complete the 100 (updated every year, stored in a glass case on-site), on-hill refreshments, music.

Heh, maybe it's just the red bull talking....

WOW. 75 lift rides in a day. Not even possible at my local mountain since the round trip (lift up, ride down) is typically 10 minutes,

OTOH, your 100-ride day would net you 35000 vertical feet. I do that pretty routinely at Bachelor. My personal recorder is 48000 and change... shooting for 54k some spring day this year :biggthump

Crystal Mtn. has about 350ft. It really sucks, but unfortunately it's the best thing in the area. I guess Cabrefae has a little more, but I like crystal's trails alot better.

I can't wait until I go to Searchmont... That will be the closest thing to a real mountain I've snowboarded on. Mt. Bohemia will be second.

WOW. 75 lift rides in a day. Not even possible at my local mountain since the round trip (lift up, ride down) is typically 10 minutes,

OTOH, your 100-ride day would net you 35000 vertical feet. I do that pretty routinely at Bachelor. My personal recorder is 48000 and change... shooting for 54k some spring day this year :biggthump

How long does it take to ski that much on a big mountain? We figure it'll take us about 6 1/2-7 hours including a short break for lunch. 48,000, now that would take some time. About 138 runs...and our place is open 10am to 10pm and we can go 15 runs per hour and still get in a quick break every 3-4 hours....I'm thinking 60,000 feet might be possible. Of course 170 runs down the exact same slope might make you want to slit your wrists but that's another story.

between a good small hill and a big mountain.

1/ you can afford to live five minutes away from a small hill. which means, you catch the best of the groom and then leave. put the kids to bed and get a couple of hours in any evening. If conditions are bad - you just go home (season pass)

2/ it's possible to make extremely good man made snow and groom it well on a small site.

3/ you don't have to waste time stopping to catch your breath mid run - you can do it on the lift.

Of course, there's no powder, but were talking carving.

BobD

2/ it's possible to make extremely good man made snow and groom it well on a small site.

You know, that is really true, here in southern Wisconsin we have some damn fine snow and perfect grooming at just about every area. I was out visiting Sun Valley at the end of January and they hadn't had snow for 3 weeks or something....it seemed like they were tilling just the top 1/2" of snow with the groomers and under that thin granular stuff was some really really firm "snow" (some suggested it was ice!) Got back to Wisconsin and it was like "friggin' awesome, look at me carve"

Just trying to look at the bright side...

We could use some of those snow-machine techs and groomers over here. I don't know how they do at cabrefae or either of the boynes, but crystal's snow is always grainy. It's like boarding through sand. I don't imagine the groomers are particularly proud to be doing what they're doing either. There's often a strip between groompaths and there isn't really much order to it. It makes it hell when you're hard on a heelside and all of a sudden you hit an icy/chunky strip going down the middle of the hill.

How long does it take to ski that much on a big mountain? We figure it'll take us about 6 1/2-7 hours including a short break for lunch. 48,000, now that would take some time. About 138 runs...and our place is open 10am to 10pm and we can go 15 runs per hour and still get in a quick break every 3-4 hours....I'm thinking 60,000 feet might be possible. Of course 170 runs down the exact same slope might make you want to slit your wrists but that's another story.

About 10k feet an hour is possible here at Bachelor, if you don't need to rest or take a leak. I've definitely had 10000 foot hours (Summit) but 7500 - 8000 is more usual for a normal weekday. Summit can get very tiring. So someone in really good shape could do 35000 in less than 4 hours or close to 80000 on a bluebird day with no wind and no crowds, and someone handing them water bottles as needed!

Finally got my "new" alpine setup, all gear has arrived.

Can't wait to try it out tomorrow, for the 1st time.

Hey fastskiguy, do you ever come down and ride Wilmot? Without a crowd, u can definitely get 100 runs in.

If you ever want to come and ride for free, shoot me an email, I patrol there and have a guest pass.

Recently patrolled at Alpine as a guest patroller, forgot how nice that hill is. LOVE, the high-speeds. We don't have those.

I'll be out at Wilmot tomorrow, rescuing the ankle biters. Fun, fun.

Hey, if there's any local boarders interested in being a patroller at Wilmot, lemme know. We could always use more, as there's only about 10 or so of us.

My record for one day (this season) is about 30k. It took about 3 1/2 hours or so. Midweek, gorgeous day, and just cranking out runs. Totally awesome. That's on my "home" mountain up Nord. I'm hoping to do better than 50k sometime this year, but my altimeter is broken so I can't keep track as easily now.

54,800' recorded via Avocet.

Mt Bachelor , several years ago during spring break. (open an hour earlier) rode first chair at 10 minutes early. Road without a break all day without a lift line to speak of , moved through lines , well, like I do. Often arriving at the chair gasping for breath. Caught the last chair at a minute before closing , lifties were behind me and didn't hold the "Close Call" against me.

No break, no lunch, quick leaks in the woods and they only way I could have got more is NOT to accept first tracks off Out Back and the Summit on a Powder day.

PS, could hardly walk for 2 days afterwards.

Bryan, my goal just increased to 54801 :biggthump

I was pretty sore after 48000+ too.

Thanks for the kind invite. I haven't been to Wilmot for awhile, Alpine is just a little closer with a slightly easier drive and a high speed lift. Plus I can usually get out on Wednesdays-men's day at Alpine and only 24$ for a lift ticket. Geeze, the last time I was out that way might have been a mountain bike race at Maplehurst (sp?) motocross park. LOL, that's been awhile! If I ever get out that way I'll try to catch up with you.

Got any pics of your new stuff?

Finally got my "new" alpine setup, all gear has arrived.

Can't wait to try it out tomorrow, for the 1st time.

Hey fastskiguy, do you ever come down and ride Wilmot? Without a crowd, u can definitely get 100 runs in.

If you ever want to come and ride for free, shoot me an email, I patrol there and have a guest pass.

Recently patrolled at Alpine as a guest patroller, forgot how nice that hill is. LOVE, the high-speeds. We don't have those.

I'll be out at Wilmot tomorrow, rescuing the ankle biters. Fun, fun.

Hey, if there's any local boarders interested in being a patroller at Wilmot, lemme know. We could always use more, as there's only about 10 or so of us.

• 3 weeks later...

They have GPS's at Sunshine now that you can rent, I'm going to try and get one next time I go, but I'm sure that I couldn't do anything like those figures. I normally go for about 4 1/2 - 5 hours with a lunch break, and then my legs will stop so suddenly I can't even turn the board. When I get to the point where my legs are about 0.5 seconds behind my brain, I know it's time to be in the bar, racking up some vertical sliding off my stool. :)

Dude,

Nothing like trenching up your own run. I can see 100 at Alpine, but the dizziness of round and round, up and down, all day could get the best of you.

There is a cool event held at Mt. Tremblant each year for charity, called the "24 hours of Tremblant", where teams of 4 skiers / riders compete for vertical in a 24 hour marathon. Perhaps Alpine would take a look at this, perhaps we could put together a team (or two?) of hardbooters to take home 1st and 2nd? It is "Alpine" valley afterall..

Alg

You could also do it with 9.2 laps of the gondola at Kicking Horse.

Or you could follow the cat track all the way down! Isn't that called "It's a 10" because it's 10km from top to bottom? You'd only need 3 1/2 spins around that! (although that doesn't really count as "vertical")...

Actually, Al, we'll send you that cat track, and you can ride it all day if you'd like!! It's great, you'd love it! :cool: