Note to New Members ×

The right stuff?

rschneid

Ok, I am throwing this out there, hopefully I won't get killed.

I am riding a nidecker 162megalight, with softboots and strap-ins.

I took a lesson from Phil at Roundtop - it was eye-opening.

Now I am reading and re-reading everything I can find on the famous

Length vs sidecut vs stiffness vs my weight vs my height vs my experiecne vs my locale - etc.. etc..

I don't have access to any demo boards or equipment

I barely have time to get to the slopes (whitetail PA mostly) - although I am going to Steamboat 4/1. I have 3 kids and I am trying to help them with their riding and skiing issues so there just is not much spare time. ( you dads know what I mean)

I have read all the articles I can find.

I am zeroing in on the Prior WMC Metal [177 or 183] w TD2 Stepins w 225Ts

I am 6'2" 200lbs boarding for 13 yrs, can carve some stuff moderately poorely - board tends to chatter a lot.

So I am planning on going from soft to alpine, 162 to 183, straps to step-ins. I am basically changing everything all at once.

I really only get one shot at this (must sneak everything under the wife's radar or at least quasi camoflague it). So I am aiming more for a board that I can grow into and hopefully one that will help me learn to carve.

Opinions, comments welcome.

I'm pretty sure hard boots and a stiff board will stick your board to the ground. You shouldn't be getting any chatter. Jumping from a 162 to a 183 is a huge jump though. From my limited experience I'd say stick with some softer hardboots to help absorb what the stepins stiffen up. I don't know how the prior compares to others in that area.

All in all, I think your biggest issue will be taming that longer board. With proper tuning it shouldn't be too bad to pick up, but lemme tell you, an alpine board just hurls you into a carve and it wants to stay there.

Just sneak the board in under the premise that you want to teach your kids the proper way to snowboard...

Also, I'd wait until after V-day :)

Ok so prevailing opinion is that 170ish is smarter for most of the terrain that I am riding? And that is because the arc that the longer board wants to naturally carve is bigger, requiring more space - right? And since White Tail has narrow trails with zillions of people going in all directions, I am by-force going to be spending more time doing little arcs and not big ones??

Rich S.

The arc is governed by the side cut radius (scr). The reason a longer board can be dangerous is because you have alot more edge in the snow to try to turn. Take a pocket knife and drag it across a cutting board. Pretty easy, but if you take a cleaver and try the same thing it gets alot harder. Now try it in a softer cutting board (snow) and a much longer blade (your edges). It takes alot more effort and you'd probably end up counter-turning a whole lot in order to get out of a carve.

The arc a board carves will also be determined by the stiffness of the board, not just the sidecut.

The Prior Metal series is softer lengthwise than most other freecarve and race boards, but quite stiff torsionally. This makes it very forgiving as a freecarver. The effective edge of the Prior is also shorter for a given length when compared to other race boards because it has a longer nose and a turned up tail.

I ride (until yesterday anyway) the 183 Metal and find that it turns tighter for me than my Donek 175 GS Olympic. It also releases easier from the carve. The sidecuts of the two boards are the same, the effective edge is very similar, the Prior has significant taper and is much softer than the Donek. I have also ridden the 177 Metal (Rebecca's board which she loves) and it can turn noticeably tighter than the 183.

I am not advocating a size for you as I do not ride in the east or know how you ride, I am just offering a few thoughts on my experiences with the Metals. I weigh 145 pounds.

The AM boards, as Gecko mentions, are great to learn on as well. They, like the Prior metal, also have shorter effective edges (the important number) relative to their overall length.

i'm sure you can do it. it's just how good of an idea is it... after being taken out 3 weeks ago making a wide turn on my 156, my perspective of that place and turning wide in general has changed. if you guy on a weekday, you're fine, but weekends, especially post noon, are busy.

Vlad used to tear up Limelight on his donek 180 no problem. he was exeperienced though.

buy something used so you can upgrade in a year or so. don't expect to learn alpine on the blues at 'tail on a 183, though, just not a good idea.

ps wehre in germantown are you? i work around there.

great to haver another MACer, btw.

forgive my hardboot noobishness, but one simple fact has been overlooked slightly. The main source of the origional chatter issue is a 200lb guy trying to carve on a 162 freeride deck. Granted it's a good moderately stiff deck but at that length the eff edge is what... 116cm that's too little to say the least. Even is he gets a carve deck like a Prior ATV 161 it will have 13cm longer effective edge at 129cm. That alone could solve the chatter, but take it to like 168 as was mentioned you get 135cm edge length...a full 19cm's longer. In a Megalight board or one similar you'd have to go to a 175 to get the same length edge.

I'd say stick to 165-170 and you'll find sidecuts in the high 9's to low 11's....and the edge hold you're looking for. 183 or mid to high 170's would be a tad overkill on carve gear to start. Hell step that up in the same size range to a Prior 4WD and you'll get even more edge for a given length.

J

Ok here is what I am taking away from this thread

1. 187 is to much to soon - move into the 170s

2. The Prior Metal possbily more 'turnable' than other brds of same length

3. Eastern riding suggests a shorter board for beginners (me)

4. Options

a. Prior ATV 161

b. Prior 4WD

c. Donek Access

d. Blade Stiff

e. AM

5. Nobody commented at all on the 225Ts so that seems to be a non-controversial deal

6. No comments on the TD2s so same as 5

Thanks everybody - all input being thoughtfully reviewed.

one last thing to think about. Donek probably has the fastest turn around at the moment of the custom builders and you won't have to deal with Customs and cross border shipping like you would with a Prior and forget a Coiler it'll be next year before you see one (but ohhhh are they nice). If you decide on a Donek call Sean and talk to him about a board...he's good at building for a person.

Boots are good; Bindings...personally I like Catek's but between TD2's and OS2's it's really a wash they are both great bindings.

PRIOR 4WD! It will carve long turns if you want to, but it will do short, quick turns when needed. A 169 won't feel that much bigger because of the sidecut, but will give you alot more edge. I just picked one up from Buell and can't believe an AM board can turn like this. I LOVE mine.

one last thing to think about. Donek probably has the fastest turn around at the moment of the custom builders and you won't have to deal with Customs and cross border shipping like you would with a Prior and forget a Coiler it'll be next year before you see one (but ohhhh are they nice). If you decide on a Donek call Sean and talk to him about a board...he's good at building for a person.

correct me if im wrong, but can't you get a Prior metal from BOL's shop now? seems like an easy way to skip all the customs and shipping.

SEJ, glad you are enjoying the 4WD. It is an amazingly versatile board.

Pow, one should contact both BOL and Hardbooter about Prior Metals in stock. If they are both out of your size, Prior told me a few weeks ago that it would only take two weeks to get one built and shipped out (we ended up buying from Hardbooter).

There were no 'customs issues' when Prior shipped me a board last year.

correct me if im wrong, but can't you get a Prior metal from BOL's shop now? seems like an easy way to skip all the customs and shipping.

Shipping you will pay for with any board unless you can go pick it up, but with US customs there should be no issue because Priors are made in Canada and therefore covered under Trade NAFTA, so no duty charges!

These guys are spot on about the length... I ride a rossi 190 world cup(the same one RJ hsa for sale on exotic boards) and it is a pretty serios chore to get down the hill unharmed. If you want to really go fast is would be a nice to have because in a straight line it screams, but as far as euro-carving or laying some trenches, a shorter board would be much better suited for a smaller mountain. Im no expert, but I would take the advice these guys have.

Thanks everyone for your comments and reviews. I talked with Michelle at Bomber yesterday and my order is getting processed. Hopefully I will see my stuff in about 9 days +-.

I have been riding my soft setup at 36/30. I increased the angles from about 28/15 (4 weeks ago) after taking a lesson from Phil at Roundtop. Is there value to increasing the angles again to say 43/38 in preparation for my alpine setup? Will it make the transition easier or are the boots and board so different that there is no good reason to do this?

Rich S.

Is there value to increasing the angles again to say 43/38 in preparation for my alpine setup? Will it make the transition easier or are the boots and board so different that there is no good reason to do this?

Rich, IMO the issue with taking softboots to super steep angles is that softboots provide little to no lateral support, they rely on the binding highback. Taking the angles super steep removes the highback from the equation. Many people will likely argue with me.

You will find that hardboots will be extrememly responsive. Just set-up the bindings at as low of angle as possible without having you boot overhang, find yourself a nice wide run, and go enjoy your first run on your new equipment.

Welcome to the darkside! :biggthump

So, what did you end up getting?

I will agree with D.T., but your soft boots at high angles success may depend partly on your binding / boot combination based on the number of opinions. 39f,36r is the highest that I like to ride on softboots. Beyond that I start to lose support from the highbacks.

Welcome! Sounds like you are going to enjoy the experience.