Note to New Members ×

Approach Ski Recommendation

Guest Randy S.

Guest Randy S.

I'm thinking of getting some approach skis to replace my snowshoes. Snowshoes are kind of big and bulky to carry around and aren't real fast. I'd like to be able to keep up with my hiking ski friends when heading OB. I'm thinking of a snowblade-like ski that has either built-in or strap-on skins, plus an easy, light binding that will clamp to my hard snowboard boots, but still let me lift my heel. Anyone got a great solution to this problem? Where can I buy it for less than $300?

• 1 year later...
I'm thinking of getting some approach skis to replace my snowshoes. Snowshoes are kind of big and bulky to carry around and aren't real fast. I'd like to be able to keep up with my hiking ski friends when heading OB. I'm thinking of a snowblade-like ski that has either built-in or strap-on skins, plus an easy, light binding that will clamp to my hard snowboard boots, but still let me lift my heel. Anyone got a great solution to this problem? Where can I buy it for less than $300?

-chortle- an OLD snowmobile if you're much of a gearhead.

for awhile made clicker compatible skis that were about $200 new I see them on Ebay from time to time and usually sell for about $50

if you wanted to use your plates I think all it would take is a drill, nuts and bolts and you would be good to go or you could mount a peice thin steel and mount some bails from some cheapo bindings to cut on the weight

I mentioned these because lots of people have these that don't use them and will sell em cheap

Kong (climbing gear company) makes the Kong Grimper approach ski http://www.yuccadune.com/product1742.html . Has front throw bail bindings for hardboots and binding has heel lock down latch for rolling approaches. Mucho expensive, plus skins and crampons are extra. 98cm length will leave you wanting if you break trail in pow.

Karhu approach ski is a strap on binding set up only (but might hold a hardboot) although the threaded binding holes on my older pair mate to Voile 3-pin cable bindings for tele skis. Skin is integrated into ski and ovalized, so not full width which is bad news on steep postholed skintrack climbs. Length (130cm) is a good compromise between float and pack length. Might be a good deal if you put a full width skin over the integrated one on bottom.

K2's approach ski is 99cm and mid width, with full width removable skins included. Can sometimes be found on shop closeout or ebay. Ok performance, but no trailbreaker. Only clicker or strap compatible, think they quit making the clicker style a couple years back.

Best to bite the bullet and get a split (not Burton), or do a split kit. You'll have so much traction your ski buddies will want you to break trail - the split halves will be too wide to fit most skin tracks though so you'll likely be doing more work "trail widening" than the skiers.

Guest Randy S.

I ended up buying the Kong approach skis. I used them once. They were too small for really deep soft powder with my 200lbs plus board. They'd be useful if the snow were wind-packed a bit, or just not super deep/soft/fluffy. My real problem is the transition from board to skis to board slows me down so I can't keep up with my friends on skis or teles.

Backcounty.com has approach skis with clickers and skins for CHEAP!! 80$ including shipping??!!?? If they had the soft binding set up I would have bought them. Might buy them anyway. Slopetool just got his , give Ed a shout. Sounds like he is happy with them (out of the box , not tried yet). Might be shorted then you wanted?

The cheapest is a pair of kids skis, short , fat , sidecut and soft flexing?

Sounds like a great therapy too! How are you doing ??

A.C. is right on the money! I have had both split boards and The Burton's are very purdy , but the mechanism is flimsy and difficult to align. The Voile is simple and burly. Hard to go wrong with KISS. They have a couple big boards too! I waited till Burton made the 171cm and it was still like riding a jib board in pow. The 195cm swallow or 182cm work will for hiking the BC and rippin the smooth untracked. They are both very light and not by any means a "Tanker 200cm) but they work great in all but the roughest conditions.

Bryan

Hi Jim. Don't know for sure. I don't think it is a 4 x 4 , since it is probably balanced to pivot from the toe area. Check with Ed. Last I heard he was headed up to T-Line to give them ago. Youth!! Hope he takes his camera!!

He did email me saying they were complete and he was happy with the quality. They only offer the clicker stepin soft type binding currently. Which is perfect for Slopetool.

The old burtons would be an idea. You would just need to attach a hinge mounting between the skis and the bindings. I would check some of the backcountry forums maybe? Lots of smart guys and gals out there. Many have probably gone through this process before? Good luck. Bryan

Wow, those are cheap! Do you think I cound retro a set of old burton 5-hole plate bindings on to them? Do they have a 4x4 bolt pattern that attaches the clickers so you can swap out other bindings?

Jim

No 4x4 pattern. There is a floating plate with clicker toe and heel receptacle screwed to each end of the plate. Plate is bolted to one end of a hinge, other end of hinge is held to ski with 2 screws.

It's entirely *possible* you could remove the clicker toe and heel, drill holes and then mount the old burton binding to the floating metal plate. For ref, plate is approx 7"L x 2 13/16"W x 1/8"Th.

With removable skins,heel lifts and hinge, it would probably be cheaper than making your own. But you'd still be stuck with a 99cm approach ski that sinks in deep snow.

• 1 month later...

I went up to Timberline today and tested out my approach skis. I ventured into inbound terrain that isn't open just yet. :eplus2: I use clickers with '04 K2 transformer boots. The skis worked great in all but the steepest of uphills. But they worked well side traversing, side stepping, and even the herring bone uphill step. I'm fairly familiar with nordic skiing so I just took off skiing away from the start. Its a much better system all around than snow shoes since you can glide instead of step. The switch over and straping them on to my Heli Pro pack was fast too. My telescoping poles included. :1luvu: I can't say enough good things about them.

Ed

I went up to Timberline today and tested out my approach skis. I ventured into inbound terrain that isn't open just yet. :eplus2: I use clickers with '04 K2 transformer boots. The skis worked great in all but the steepest of uphills. But they worked well side traversing, side stepping, and even the herring bone uphill step. I'm fairly familiar with nordic skiing so I just took off skiing away from the start. Its a much better system all around than snow shoes since you can glide instead of step. The switch over and straping them on to my Heli Pro pack was fast too. My telescoping poles included. :1luvu: I can't say enough good things about them.

Ed

Good to hear they worked good. I bought a set also and modded some old burton 5-hole plate binding cages to them so I can use my hardboots.

Jim