Note to New Members ×

Riding and Nutrition

Bobby Buggs

Since virtually all of my riding is at night, this isn't a problem for me. The bigger issue is hiding my two beer bottles in the snow bank before I go without any of the local kids seeing me so they will be there when I get back.

I am currently at 36 days/nights this winter. This forum is a constant source of information and inspiration to me. Thank you all.

Good rounded breakfast. protein is key for a long day. I tend to lean towards eggs and wheat toast hashbrowns with a nice glass of OJ to bump the Bloodsugar up until the protein kicks in. I carry good carb snacks on the hill my current favorite is called a Bumblebar. lots of sesame seeds a little flax and some nuts all in a rice and cane syrup to hold it together. A little dark chocolate for emergencies:biggthump

http://www.harpoonbrewery.com/index.cfm?cdid=91792&pid=28516

we'll be doing some research on this tonight at the brewery.

TR to follow..... 7.9% :biggthump

Harpoon English Style Old Ale

I've only tasted a few other beers in my life I got this excited

about. I tried it at thier Boston brewry along with a sampling

of thier other current brews, all of which were distinctive and

well made, But this one was excellent,the appearance was dark amber, as far as the head, the sampler glass prevented the beer from pouring properly. Very smooth in the mouth with a slightly creamy texture. The taste was a little sweet but not to much. The after tast was mild and very pleasant.

Try this one! if you can find it on tap even better!

But I think you might have to go to the brewery.

post-123-141842227587_thumb.jpg

I like Dr D's breakfast - 3 eggs and 2 slices of toast (usually sourdough wheat - mmmmm!), and some OJ. I carry GORP on the hill - my fave is almonds, cashews, dried cranberries and a few Ghirardelli choco chips thrown in for good measure. My medical situation dictates that I eat more protein than and less sugar than most, so I go light on the choco chips and heavy on the nuts. This type of ride-day diet gets me through 40K vertical feet without a problem even though I'm somewhat out of shape.

I like Dr D's breakfast - 3 eggs and 2 slices of toast (usually sourdough wheat - mmmmm!), and some OJ. I carry GORP on the hill - my fave is almonds, cashews, dried cranberries and a few Ghirardelli choco chips thrown in for good measure. My medical situation dictates that I eat more protein than and less sugar than most, so I go light on the choco chips and heavy on the nuts. This type of ride-day diet gets me through 40K vertical feet without a problem even though I'm somewhat out of shape.

The Gorp thing is a great chair snacker I forget about from time to time. gotta go to the store:biggthump I like Goji(wolf) berries and cocao nibs in mine

Peanutbutter & Banana Sandwich on Whole Wheat Bread, Cup of Coffee, Several Glasses of Water. One or Two Energy Bars in my pockt and I'm usually good to go until happy hour where I begin the replenishing process. I hate stopping during the day. I feel like going into the lodge mid-day sucks energy out of me more then refuels me.

Here's the mix

12 cups old fashioned oats

3 cups dried cranberries

2 cups chopped dates

2 cups chopped walnuts

2 cups slivered almonds

1 1/2 tablespoons ginger

1 1/2 tablespoons nutmeg

1 1/2 tablespoons ground ginger

1 1/2 tablespoons ground clove

1 1/2 tablespoons cardemon

add about 2 rounded teaspoons of sugar in the raw to taste per serving

Put 1 heaping cup in a bowl, stir in just enough water to make it wet and just a little extra (about 3/4 cup), there should be little pockets of liquid on top of mixture, but not covering the whole top. If you put too much water in, it gets too gooey. Put in Micro for 2 minutes 22 seconds and just a little skim milk as needed.

Way better and more interesting than just oatmeal, and is good for almost a month of breakfasts. Best breakfast I've ever had both in taste and in health.

What about somebody who is on a 10% or less fat-by-cal diet? Dates have fat, almonds and walnuts have LOTs of fat. The sugar is good because that has lots of fatfree calories.

Oh, not to mention, that sounds nasty to me..

I usually eat whatever we have around. I just need something (anything) in my stomach and I'm good to go for most of the day usually.

What about somebody who is on a 10% or less fat-by-cal diet? Dates have fat, almonds and walnuts have LOTs of fat. The sugar is good because that has lots of fatfree calories.

Oh, not to mention, that sounds nasty to me..

I usually eat whatever we have around. I just need something (anything) in my stomach and I'm good to go for most of the day usually.

Have you done your homework on fats? Take a closer look at the ingredients in the mix and check online to see what they do for you. So if there are so many fat-free foodsf on the market, why are the obese numbers increasing so much. Fat free can make you really fat. It's the calories. Granted there is probably a fair amount of calories in this mix, but far less so than some of the usual breakfasts people eat.The amounts in a cup of this hardly qualifies as a huge fat intake.

As is the case in so many threads on the internet, many people slam things before they know anything about them or have tried them.

Essential Fatty Acids in NUTS

Fig 2. Content of Omega-3 and Omega-6 Essential Fatty Acids in Nuts

Approximate EFA content in grams per 100 grams

Omega-3s (100g) (g) Omega-6s (100g) (g)

Walnuts 5.5 Walnuts 28

Hazelnuts trace Hazelnuts 4

Cashews trace Cashews 8

Almonds trace Almonds 10

Brazils trace Brazils 23

Healing Power and Curative Properties of Clove

Cloves have many medicinal virtues. They are stimulant. They are useful in counteracting spasmodic disorders and in relieving flatulence. They help stimulate sluggish circulation and thereby promote digestion and metabolism. In the Indian system of medicine, cloves are used in various conditions either in the form of a powder or a decoction made from them. Clove oil contains ingredients that help stabilize blood circulation and regulate body temperature. Clove oil, applied outwardly, has stimulating effects on the skin, producing heat and redness.

Nutmeg has a variety of health benefits besides adding it to cookies and pies. It calms and helps lower blood pressure and soothes digestive upset. Mixed with a neutral oil and used in a massage it eases joint pain and inflammation. Nutmeg also provides fast relief for diarrhea and toothaches. The therapeutic effects of nutmeg stimulates the cardiovascular system, promotes concentration, acts as ab expectorant, reduces joint inflammation and helps also with liver removing toxins.

Danish researchers found that ginger can block the effects of prostaglandin - a substance that cause inflammation of the blood vessels in the brain and can lead to migraines.

Ginger was found to be effective for relieving the severity of nausea even in cases of pregnancy.

Many women claim that ginger tea helps rid them of menstrual cramps.

It has anti-inflammatory properties that can lessen the pain of rheumatoid arthritis.

Respiratory infections - it is well known for its warming action on the upper respiratory tract, so it has been used to treat colds and flu.

It has been found to be effective in cramps caused by stomach gas. Ginger also stimulates digestion.

It has a wholesome effect on the circulatory system as it makes the platelets less sticky and is of great benefit in case of circulatory disorders.

As a mood enhancer, ginger's cineole content may help contribute to stress relief.

It is a great mouth freshener and ginger tea has vastly refreshing properties.

Health Benefits

Cinnamon's unique healing abilities come from three basic types of components in the essential oils found in its bark. These oils contain active components called cinnamaldehyde, cinnamyl acetate, and cinnamyl alcohol, plus a wide range of other volatile substances.

Anti-Clotting Actions

Cinnamaldehyde (also called cinnamic aldehyde) has been well-researched for its effects on blood platelets. Platelets are constituents of blood that are meant to clump together under emergency circumstances (like physical injury) as a way to stop bleeding, but under normal circumstances, they can make blood flow inadequate if they clump together too much. The cinnaldehyde in cinnamon helps prevent unwanted clumping of blood platelets. (The way it accomplishes this health-protective act is by inhibiting the release of an inflammatory fatty acid called arachidonic acid from platelet membranes and reducing the formation of an inflammatory messaging molecule called thromboxane A2.) Cinnamon's ability to lower the release of arachidonic acid from cell membranes also puts it in the category of an "anti-inflammatory" food that can be helpful in lessening inflammation.

Anti-Microbial Activity

Cinnamon's essential oils also qualify it as an "anti-microbial" food, and cinnamon has been studied for its ability to help stop the growth of bacteria as well as fungi, including the commonly problematic yeast Candida. In laboratory tests, growth of yeasts that were resistant to the commonly used anti-fungal medication fluconazole was often (though not always) stopped by cinnamon extracts.

Cinnamon's antimicrobial properties are so effective that recent research demonstrates this spice can be used as an alternative to traditional food preservatives. In a study, published in the August 2003 issue of the International Journal of Food Microbiology, the addition of just a few drops of cinnamon essential oil to 100 ml (approximately 3 ounces) of carrot broth, which was then refrigerated, inhibited the growth of the foodborne pathogenic Bacillus cereus for at least 60 days. When the broth was refrigerated without the addition of cinnamon oil, the pathogenic B. cereus flourished despite the cold temperature. In addition, researchers noted that the addition of cinnamon not only acted as an effective preservative but improved the flavor of the broth.(October 1, 2003)

Blood Sugar Control

Cinnamon may significantly help people with type 2 diabetes improve their ability to respond to insulin, thus normalizing their blood sugar levels. Both test tube and animal studies have shown that compounds in cinnamon not only stimulate insulin receptors, but also inhibit an enzyme that inactivates them, thus significantly increasing cells' ability to use glucose. Studies to confirm cinnamon's beneficial actions in humans are currently underway with the most recent report coming from researchers from the US Agricultural Research Service, who have shown that less than half a teaspoon per day of cinnamon reduces blood sugar levels in persons with type 2 diabetes. Their study included 60 Pakistani volunteers with type 2 diabetes who were not taking insulin. Subjects were divided into six groups. For 40 days, groups 1, 2 and 3 were given 1, 3, or 6 grams per day of cinnamon while groups 4, 5 and 6 received placebo capsules. Even the lowest amount of cinnamon, 1 gram per day (approximately ¼ to ½ teaspoon), produced an approximately 20% drop in blood sugar; cholesterol and triglycerides were lowered as well. When daily cinnamon was stopped, blood sugar levels began to increase. (December 30, 2003)

Test tube, animal and human studies have all recently investigated cinnamon's ability to improve insulin activity, and thus our cells' ability to absorb and use glucose from the blood.

Dates are also rich in natural fibres. Modern medicine has shown that they are effective in preventing abdominal cancer. They also surpass other fruits in the sheer variety of their constituents. They contain oil, calcium, sulphur, iron, potassium, phosphorous, manganese, copper and magnesium. In other words, one date is a minimum of a balanced and healthy diet.

Oatmeal According to the American Cancer Society:

1. Insoluble fiber's cancer-fighting properties are due to the fact that it attacks certain bile acids, reducing their toxicity.

2. Soluble fiber may reduce LDL cholesterol without lowering HDL cholesterol. LDL is bad; HDL is good.

3. Soluble fiber slows down the digestion of starch. This may be beneficial to diabetics because, when you slow down the digestion of starch, you avoid the sharp rises in your blood sugar level that usually occur following a meal.

4. It has been found that those who eat more oats are less likely to develop heart disease, a disease that is currently widespread in the United States.

5. The phytochemicals in oat may also have cancer-fighting properties.

6. Oats are a good source of many nutrients including vitamin E, zinc, selenium, copper, iron, manganese and magnesium. Oats are also a good source of protein.

The difference between insoluble and soluble fiber, besides the foods that they come from, is what they do in your body.

Insoluble fiber's main role is that it makes stools heavier and speeds their passage through the gut, relieving constipation. Soluble fiber breaks down as it passes through the digestive tract, forming a gel that traps some substances related to high cholesterol, thus reducing the absorption of cholesterol into the bloodstream.

Now let's compare that with some of the other "food" that's been suggested.

And I take exception to the fact that it sounds nasty. Best tasting breakfast I've ever had. The ingredient sound strange, but are they really. The ginger adds just a little snap to it (heard of ginger snaps),and all the rest of the ingredients just complement each other.

My mother in law makes a "hot" cereal that has steel cut oats, some other dried grains and dried apricots, blueberries and a few others depending on what she can find. Microwave it with some water (takes a while to cook). Throw in some walnuts and you are good to go.

It has quite a bit of fiber so you have to be kind of careful (my wifes cousin calls it SYBO, s### your butt out). Other than that it has a wide variety of sugars, protein and fats that really stick with you on the hill.

I am one of those people that REALLY needs to eat lunch as well. So I usually have a turkey sandwich along, along with gorp.

Easy, easy!

My doctor/nutritionist put me on the diet. I have medical reasons to be on the diet and I'm taking Lorenzo's Oil (among others) as supplements. I'm not argueing that fat is always bad. I'm not arguing anything. I'm just saying I'm on a doctor ordered 10% fat by calorie diet. I'm 150 lbs soaking wet, far from overweight, I'm not trying to lose weight, in fact I'm trying to gain it.

I'm just saying that there are some of us out there that aren't allowed to have that sort of thing.

And believe me, I'm not slamming it before I tried it. (well, I am slamming the breakfast a bit, because I'm not a fan of nuts and oatmeals and stuff...) But believe me, I've done my homework on things.

If anybody cares to look, I have a condition called Adreno-Lueko Dystrophy. IT's a condition where VLCFAs (very long chain fatty acids) build up around my spinal cord around the base of the skull.

Now, I know you've done your homework, and I've done my homework... Can't we both be right?

Real old fashoned "slow-toasted" Oatmeal, good stuff! Can't wait to use this to make a batch of Gruel.

The slow-toasted, nutty flavor of our award-winning oatmeal is enjoyed worldwide. Slow-toasted means it's roasted like a coffee bean, not steamed in a giant vat, bringing out a rich, chewy goodness that will start your day off right.

http://www.christineandrobs.com/products.html

Have you done your homework on fats? Take a closer look at the ingredients in the mix and check online to see what they do for you. So if there are so many fat-free foodsf on the market, why are the obese numbers increasing so much. Fat free can make you really fat. It's the calories. Granted there is probably a fair amount of calories in this mix, but far less so than some of the usual breakfasts people eat.The amounts in a cup of this hardly qualifies as a huge fat intake.

As is the case in so many threads on the internet, many people slam things before they know anything about them or have tried them.

Essential Fatty Acids in NUTS

Fig 2. Content of Omega-3 and Omega-6 Essential Fatty Acids in Nuts

Approximate EFA content in grams per 100 grams

Omega-3s (100g) (g) Omega-6s (100g) (g)

Walnuts 5.5 Walnuts 28

Hazelnuts trace Hazelnuts 4

Cashews <snip>

Please tell me you copy and pasted that.......

That is an AMAZING amount of information!!!!!

I think I my give your guell a shot.....

My mix is similar, just without the spices.</snip>