Note to New Members ×

Donek FC II-171 ??

jl1

I am about ready to purchase Donek FC II-171, looking for some more input or other suggestions please!! Also thinking of Catek bindings, not sure if I should go with step-ins-Advantages/disadvantages? I am 6'1- 210lbs do not need to go super fast, current board is a burton alp 169. Thanks.

Those are a world class board and world class bindings. However you should weigh them against the Bomber TD2 as well.

These products have been discussed ad nauseum here - try the search function.

You won't believe how much better the Donek is than the Alp.

Where do you ride? Current riding style?

I ride TD2 stepins and really like them. Apparently the interface is a bit stiffer than traditional bales but I've never ridden them to compare. Probably the same deal with Catek. The OS2 seems like a nice binding too. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Any reason you aren't considering the FC 175 or 179? The 179 has the same sidecut radius as the 171 and a little more stiffness. Might be better matched to your weight.

The FC2 171 will blow that Alp off of the mountain. You will likely need to be a little more aggressive with the Donek since it will be noticeably stiffer than your Burton. That is a good thing though since that Alp is probably a bit small/soft for you. The Donek will really take your riding to a new level. Its one of the best free carve boards out there.

I ride mostly in PA, a few trips to Maine, VT, and NH every season, and a trip to CO every few years. I have been riding for 10 years although most 70 percent of the time on my soft boot boards. I would rather concentrate on my hard boots and carving at this point and felt new board was in order. No need to go super fast, just want carve on the groomers. Sean @ Donek recomended the FC II 171 but looking for input and opinions before I place an order for a new board. Alp is the only board I ever rode with hard boots so looking for feedback on boards. Thanks.

do not need to go super fast
@ 210lbs I find that I can carve my 179 FCI at any speed. As long as you make turns, speed is more a function of SCR than board length. The 171cm and 179cm have the same SCR. I would recommend the 179cm because of your size; you would have more edge hold.

If you can, demo before you buy!

I'm 212 lb 6 ft 1in

My main ride is a Donek free carve 179 Td-2 step ins

This board seams to be my first choice from the quiver !

I have a 162 & a 167 but at my size I just can't get them to preform for me ! I can ride the 179 even on narrow runs !!!

I have never tried the free carve 2(Im Ready) but I'm sure I would like it!

Could be my next purchase/ Im thinking a 195 !!!

Thanks for the input. I will give Sean a call back on Monday and talk to him about the 175 & 179, maybe he will send me a demo to try out! Anybody have the Olympic core upgrade option , is it worth the money. I am getting itchy to place my order. All I need now is SNOW!!

Thanks for the input. I will give Sean a call back on Monday and talk to him about the 175 & 179, maybe he will send me a demo to try out! Anybody have the Olympic core upgrade option , is it worth the money. I am getting itchy to place my order. All I need now is SNOW!!

My FC 175 is Olympic. IMHO it is well worth it - quieter ride on ice, and a more relaxing ride on bumpy snow. I feel more confident on it and it takes worse conditions to get me into defensive mode. I haven't ridden the 175 in non-Oly but have ridden the 163, 171 and 179 in non-Oly.

Guest demonballer

I am 6'2" and 210lbs. The board I use for everday riding is a Donek gs 182. Now that I really think about it, you should get a bigger board for freecarving. I can handle the 182 pretty easily in the crouds and I almost want a bigger board most of the time. I would suggest getting a 179 as someone previously mentioned. Or a 182.

I am 6'2" and 210lbs. The board I use for everday riding is a Donek gs 182. Now that I really think about it, you should get a bigger board for freecarving. I can handle the 182 pretty easily in the crouds and I almost want a bigger board most of the time. I would suggest getting a 179 as someone previously mentioned. Or a 182.

If you aren't into speed I would stick with the 175/179. The FC 182's 13m sidecut radius requires more speed to lay it into a turn. IIRC you're riding at a smaller resort... the FC 182 might be frustrating at such a place.

I actually prefer the FC at 171 vs 179. At my weight (185lbs), I found the 179 to be bit hooky. At least for me, the sidecut is a bit tight for that length. Sounds like some of you guys are a bit bigger, so thats why the 179 probably works great for you.