Note to New Members ×

Pure Carve maverick 175

veector

I cut my carving teeth on a used PCMav175 that I bought here at BOL and a Rossi FC 159. The Maverick introduced me to a stiffer ride and TD1's. I had a difficult transition from softboots to hardboots. I should have put plates on a freeride board and rode with lower angles until I got over the learning curve of angulation.

I still have my Maverick and the SCR is 11.2m. The topsheet is the surfboard gun topsheet. In comparison to other alpine boards I've ridden with an 11-something radius the Maverick has a soft 'surfy' flex to it. Great board to learn alpine carving on.

Is the board used? If so, can you demo it to determine if there is enough 'snap' left in it to give you a worthwhile investment?

Hope this helps,

Mark

Like WW said I got a new leftover one last year. Great all mountain carver, very forgiving and almost effortless to ride. IMHO a true classic surf-carver zen board. DON'T get it if it's too used, the long -term construction is a bit weak... No camber no buy. Not stiff enough for ice, but great edge hold on crud and groom. If I can only bring 1 board, this would be it.

post-182-141842224919_thumb.jpg

post-182-14184222492_thumb.jpg

post-182-141842224922_thumb.jpg

The Maverick shape is perfect for freecarving in hero-conditons. It´s wide enough so you don´t boot out and the effective edge starts early so you basically just put it on edge and you´re carving. I have lent mine to newbies who where on skinny short little boards and rode like ****. After a couple of turns on my Maverick theyare just ralin it. But you have to be on the sweet spot. It´s supposed to be ridden with a narrow stance. As soon as I widen my stance you just feel that the flex is tailored for an oldskool surfystance. I love watching those old PC videos by the way. There really is some stylish riding there...

Just buy the board. You won´t regret it.

Which topsheet? If it is the wood grain and you don't like it, then I will buy it off you even if the camber is bad and hang it on my wall.

These boards work really well in the right conditions. Like others said, not ice, but everything else.

--Hugh

post-92-141842224934_thumb.jpg

Well after trying in hard/icy conditions I would say that it´s not damped enough and lacks a lot in the torsional department. You can really hear it vibrate! But that doesn´t matter in Buttermilk though. You got at least an inch ot two of soft cord to lean against.

OK, am I going crazy or am I mis-reading all these posts?

I'm of the opinion that for a given rider (for instance ME!), they would use a board of a certain "stiffness" for firm & solid groom. Let's give that a hypothetical stiffness rating of 7 (where a larger number is a stiffer flex).

That same rider if riding in really soft conditions (like spring or corn snow) would need a stiffer board. Let's give that a hypothetical stiffness rating of 8.

That same rider if riding in really icey &/or brushed off conditions would need a less stiff board. Let's give that a hypothetical stiffness rating of 6.

So... why is the 'too soft Maverick' a poor choice for icey conditions? It must be something else.

aggreed, one of the better boards on ice that I have played with is the soft madd 170, useless to me on chop or soft cord but on boiler plate it comes alive and is very rideable, give me the stiff 170 and it works for me in most conditions other than hating the narrow width