Note to New Members ×

Gah.... this Eastcoast weather just plain SUCKS ASS !

Dave ESPI

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Praise Da Lord. It's snowing in Toronto. Just a bit, but it's white and flakey. Here's the prob - it's supposed to go up to 7C on Friday, then 9 and THIRTEEN on Sunday. That means only the truly desperate will make snow over the next couple of days. Didja guys know that man-made snow costs approximately $1 per cubic foot? Found that out from the snowmakers at Oshawa Kirby.

So wait, if the earth flips, then the north pole becomes the south pole, and the entire planet rotates and at one point, Albany NY will actualy be the Equatorial like then a minute later will be in the southern hemisphere ?

Pardon my geo-retardation, but isn't that impossible ? ir is it just a "magnetic" swap ?

Wow - look what I started...cool really! Dave - I know you are aware by now that the planet doesn't actually "flip"...thatz why I put the "wink" smilie at the end of that sentence. :cool:

Mike T - thanks for your input...this stuff fascinates me too!

As an aside to all of this geomagnetic stuff - never discuss hemispherical weather patterns with grocery store clerks. Tonight one asked me if it was getting colder outside, to which I answered no of course. A conversation about the wacky winter ensued and I related Allee's post above about New Zealand experiencing cold weathe in December and January - and the clerk responded "yeah I know, it's cold and snowy in New Mexico too" to which I responded "but it is supposed to be WARM in New Zealand right now" and she said "well, that's becuase they are so far south"... :confused: ... :freak3: ... :smashfrea

Look like I WONT be doing any riding for another 2 weeks or MORE :mad:

6-10 Day Forecast for

Springfield Ma 01105

Saturday 13

Showers

High 51°F

Low 45°F

Precip. 40 %

Sunday 14

Showers

High 52°F

Low 51°F

Precip. 40 %

Monday 15

Showers

High 57°F

Low 30°F

Precip. 40 %

Tuesday 16

Rain / Snow Showers

High 45°F

Low 27°F

Precip. 60 %

Wednesday 17

AM Clouds / PM Sun

High 38°F

Low 28°F

Precip. 10 %

Last Updated Jan 8 06:26 p.m. ET

I respectfully disagree - computer models weren't needed..the proof is in the rocks on the crust of the sea floor being created at the mid-ocean ridges. :)

You are correct wavechaser. This was first noticed at these spreading seams on the ocean floors. However, then the rush was on to formulate a reasonable mechanism for the flipping. The proof was there, now an explaination was needed. One of the tools used in the research was centuries of compass readings beginning with dutifully recorded data from the British navy and its merchant ships. Thru these and subsequent readings it became evident that regions of specific magnetic flux orientation were slowly drifting around the planet. The computer simulations are mimicing the drift and intensity variations with fairly tight coorelation. I forget the period required for full north to full south flip.

Look like I WONT be doing any riding for another 2 weeks or MORE :mad:

Last Updated Jan 8 06:26 p.m. ET

I'm finally putting the surf board and motorcycles away for the winter, headed out to Colorado next tuesday, into Montana by friday, back into Colorado a week later, and back home sometime after the SES in late February...

Airfare to Denver: ~$300 round trip.

21 days in a 4wd Rental car: ~two weeks salary.

cheap Lodging in Silverthorne: ~another two weeks salary.

SES tickets and lodging:~yet another two weeks...

Working two jobs the rest of the year, to escape the snow drought in January and working with Fin and Michele...while on "vacation".....

PRICELESS:)

On a side note.....The magnetic poles and geography lesson is great!

Those little motherf*ckers!!! I freaking HATE yellowjackets. This last summer I had a few start camping out in my doorjamb in my car, I grabbed the detailing spray and let them have it. :angryfire:angryfire:angryfire I hope you beat their asses hard into the ground. Tossing a few into the microwave and letting them die that way, then displaying them where the rest of them will see is always and idea too, strange yes, but it makes for a good warning to the rest of the bastages, in my head anyway :boxing_sm .

The warm weather over the weekend was welcome, because I was supposed to be picking up my wrangler on friday afternoon, but pickup got delayed until today, meaning that the top-down weather is now gone :smashfrea . Diahreah weather today/tonight followed by more 40-50 degree weather this week. When will the weather make up it's mind!!!!!!!!!!??????

I'm trying to @%% the little Mother 2%%^^'s. But since this will stray some from carving, I'll move it to the Off Topic forum. Hint - the first installment involves an old fart and frost on a galvanized roof...

From Accuweather's chief long range forecaster:

The Alberta Clipper today moving through East will create more lake-effect snow to the lee of the Great Lakes and snow in the higher elevations of the central Appalachian Mountains. Cold air following the Clipper will push temperatures in the East down to near seasonable levels. Later in the week, the brief shot of winter will be replaced with more warm weather before a pattern change brings a real taste of winter to much of the nation...

...Unlike recent weather patterns when cold air has been quickly replaced by unseasonable warmth, the upcoming cold shot will remain in place across most of the nation through the latter half of January. According to Chief Long Range Forecaster Joe Bastardi, the weather from mid-January through mid-February could mimic the winters of 1957-58 and 1965-66. Those winters began with warm conditions before finishing with cold and stormy weather...

...Bastardi says in a worst-case scenario, the country will experience a repeat of the winter of 1977-78. After a tepid start, that winter was remarkable for its cold and storms, including three powerful blizzards in the Northeast. "Those who think that winter 2006-2007 is going to remain mild are in for a shock. Winter is likely to come with a vengeance. A week from now, we'll start seeing truly cold air across much of the country, and we expect this change to last."

Bastardi believes that if the change in the weather pattern reaches its full potential, the onset of cold weather could result in "one of the top-five coldest 30-day stretches in the past half century."

I'm hoping for the "worst case" scenario :biggthump

That's what I've been saying all winter...what we're experiencing is 100% Textbook En Nino. One of these times when the jetstream dips, we're going to get locked into the cold and people will be whining (not here though) about how they think we're going into another ice age because it's so cold and has been for so long. It's just the way the weather works sadly...we might get locked into winter this time, but lets just say I'm not putting the hardtop back on my jeep just yet...

That's what I've been saying all winter...what we're experiencing is 100% Textbook En Nino. One of these times when the jetstream dips, we're going to get locked into the cold and people will be whining (not here though) about how they think we're going into another ice age because it's so cold and has been for so long. It's just the way the weather works sadly...we might get locked into winter this time, but lets just say I'm not putting the hardtop back on my jeep just yet...

YES!!! YES!!! BRING IT ON!!! IT'S FINALLY BLOODY COLD AND IT'S SNOWING IN MONTREAL!!!! YAHOO!!!!!!! :eplus2::biggthump

Unfortunately, it will all go away on Friday when the temperature hits +5C and it rains as forecasted. I'm not trying to be cynical, I'm just stating the facts. :)

'later...

Yeah, unfortunately in didn't last... It's snowing right now again, but the current forecast for the afternoon looks really discouraging... Imho no decent riding for another week at least...

Moscow, however got a record-breaking 40 cm!!! :biggthump

wavechaser.. maybe you'll be lucky in VT... we won't in Mtl :mad:

Monday Day

<TABLE id=Table1 style="WIDTH: 95%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=detailLeft>07.gif</TD><TD class=detailLeft>Cloudy, windy and colder with a chance for snow</TD></TR><TR><TD class=detailLeft>High</TD><TD class=detailRight>-8°C</TD></TR><TR><TD class=detailLeft>RealFeel®:</TD><TD class=detailRight>-18°C</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Yeah Jay now has a new promotion... 2 tix for the price of one when they get more than 10 inches of snow ! :biggthump

I'll go at least once this season !

They also have $39 ticket if you show a pass from another mountain - not sure how they determine if it is a current pass, or if they care.

conditions aren't that bad around montreal. It's not amazing but it's a lot better than what we could think of. St-Sauveur has been working hard to keep more than decent conditions in the past weeks. I've had fun carving everyday I went to far. Plus the fact that the mountains are empty makes it even better with more room for me !

Sometimes you just have to make it happen, if not we will wake up in may still complaining about he sucky weather.

This next week should be a lot colder so the cannons are going to go back in action. They have been running non stop this past week except tonight obivousely.

Keep the faith :)