Note to New Members ×

Meeting carvers not on BOL

pebu

So I know there are some carvers around my mountain cause I see them every time I go. (Not to mention, the number of teles has BOOMED since last year, but that's not the point...) And I know that our mountain has nothing to do with carvers. I've even gone to our ski shop and asked him about keeping his ears to the ground for a used alpine board and he told me that "nobody does that anymore."

I was just wondering if anybody had any tips on how to meet these phantom carvers that I see without coming off as a wierdo or without making it look like I'm coming on to them. It'd be neat to have somebody to carve with and maybe even somebody that would give me some pointers.

You think I'm shy with other carvers... You should see me trying to talk to women...:freak3:

pebu, first thing I'd do is lose the budweiser board. Just kidding, what ARE you riding ?

Just wait until you see a hardbooter in line and take a ride up on the chair with them.Simple small talk, how do you like those boots ? Don't worry about asking a "stupid" question.Unless, they're socially challenged or maybe a snotty euro type (again, kidding- euro guys)they'll be happy to chat you up.

Ever walk into a snowboard shop and kids are afraid to ask an "uncool" question ? If you get that vibe, don't worry, it's not you.

Great thing about BOL is we're all about getting more people into carving, not about trying to be all rad and aggro (which tends to breed contempt) I love it when people comment in line or wherever on the hill about how much fun that "carving" (or whatever they wanna call it) looks like. "you guys were ripping !" ...thanks (and I'm always thinking -you should see they guys that really rip !) :D

I like to twirl my hair with one finger while snapping my gum. Make sure you giggle a lot too, it helps. Try not to have any oozing pimples visible, that's a turn-off (if you do, cover them with that colored zinc oxide cream stuff). Also - polish those braces to a mirror finish for that extra bling.

If nothing else works, dress like a slut, close your eyes, and think of a happy place.

:eplus2::eplus2:

Great thing about BOL is we're all about getting more people into carving, not about trying to be all rad and aggro

Whatchu talkin about? I'm all about being Rad and Aggro :eplus2::eplus2:

And "change for a nickel" doesn't apply outside of JH unless they're wearing a FKNA shirt or TGR stickers

:eplus2::eplus2:

Whatchu talkin about? I'm all about being Rad and Aggro :eplus2::eplus2:

And "change for a nickel" doesn't apply outside of JH unless they're wearing a FKNA shirt or TGR stickers

true dat, tex. I just try to save the shizz talk for the chairlift. Don't wanna ruffle any plumage here online.

Funny, yesterday at Gunstock 2 kids were asking us questions about our hardboot gear etc. "My friend has these bindings that are way up high...blah, blah." Turns out his friend was Gleb(and got wise to the perogie deal)"Weren't you at Wachusett last night ?" yeah, that was me. too funny. :lol:

if you haven't seen the sock puppets heckling from the chair, you should.... :boxing_sm

let's lets all give some quality intel for pebu. :o

Pebu, just walk up, say hi and ask if you can do some turns with them. Mention you want to carve (I dont know if you have any gear or not?) and chat it up. Most people on carving set up like to talk about it and offer lots of info. Not every one is into BOL and a few have been turned off in the last few years or feel they have what they need from the site and lurk on occasion (see what ever happened to- most are around but in a different place in their snowboarding ) or they might not even know it exists (still alot of those out there)

Didn't mention my rides...

I do have the budwieser board of course. Actually now I kinda permanently borrowed my dad's budwieser board cause it's time to retire my old one. It was in rough shape. So as soon as that gets back from the shop I'll be riding a 156 budwieser board with rossignol SI bindings and I just picked up a rossi XVas (or is it just Vas?? It has a big X with Vas written accross it) 162 with the progressive sidecut, burton rat-traps (now I know why they're called rat-traps) and for boots I'm using my brothers old ski boots. Heckle me all you want for the ski boots, but they fit well and I'm not into spending large sums of money all at once. They're just to get me by until I can go to the ski shop and get sized up properly and probably order some boots online.

Anyways, that's what I ride. ANd unfortunately my hair is only 3/8" long and usually covered with a hat, so it's hard to twirl in my fingers in it.

Pat, Thanks for the link, but I can read all I want and it's just not quite the same as having somebody there being my eyes and telling me what I'm doing wrong.

We're gonna try to get to the highlands some time this year, but I don't think it's looking too promising. I'm goin up to Mt. Bohemia a couple weekends and I've got the crystal mtn seasons pass. If I'm headed up there I'll be sure to let you know though.

Just as a matter of courtesy, and not to deny Fin & co some business, but it's incredibly rude to go to a ski shop and get "sized up" and then go buy boots online. You are basically stealing their time. measure your foot yourself and order online or go to a shop that sells the boots you want and buy the boots from them. You may save $50 or $100 by buying online, but most shops will include bootfitting/adjustments in the price of boots, which is worth much more than you'd save buying online.

Just as a matter of courtesy, and not to deny Fin & co some business, but it's incredibly rude to go to a ski shop and get "sized up" and then go buy boots online. You are basically stealing their time. measure your foot yourself and order online or go to a shop that sells the boots you want and buy the boots from them. You may save $50 or $100 by buying online, but most shops will include bootfitting/adjustments in the price of boots, which is worth much more than you'd save buying online.

Don't worry, I'd be willing to pay for the fitting and I'd for sure buy the boots from them if they had them. My brother and I have given them plenty of business and they'll have all my business in the future. I wouldn't go in under the pretenses of buying some boots and then just back out. I just want to make sure that my sizings are done right and have them there to answer any more questions that I might have while getting it done.

Oh boy, I aproached / chased down hill every hardbooter I saw. The ones that would not communicate simply wont, and so what? Majority was keen to talk / exchange ideas / ride together, and the result is our little Cypress brotherhood... Thinking of which, I still haven't seen quite a few old guys on the heel this year...

I've rolled up to pretty much every carver I've ever run across on every hill I've ever ridden. We're a minority. In my experience, we love riding together. I've never had a bad experience "cold calling" a carver.

Trying to keep up with some of them, well...that's a different story. Jack in bend is the epitome of "no friends on a powder day" ;)

I've rolled up to pretty much every carver I've ever run across on every hill I've ever ridden. We're a minority. In my experience, we love riding together. I've never had a bad experience "cold calling" a carver.

Trying to keep up with some of them, well...that's a different story. Jack in bend is the epitome of "no friends on a powder day" ;)

I've actually run into a few hardbooters @ Bachelor and MHM with a 'tude, who have reacted with something along the lines of "just because we both hardboot you think I want to be your friend?". But it's very rare.

Haven't see Jack P. all season!

I like to twirl my hair with one finger while snapping my gum. Make sure you giggle a lot too, it helps. Try not to have any oozing pimples visible, that's a turn-off (if you do, cover them with that colored zinc oxide cream stuff). Also - polish those braces to a mirror finish for that extra bling.

If nothing else works, dress like a slut, close your eyes, and think of a happy place.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I laughed so hard I snorted in a piggy sorta way!!!! that's gold!!! :biggthump

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

you a funny guy

mario

I have only run into one carver here in Australia whilst riding... and It was the funniest thing that has ever happened....

It was like. I'm ahead of him in the lift line and he creaps up to me... without me noticing... and says.."excuse me sir... I think you've mounted your bindings the wrong way on your mono board"!!!!

I've basically started building up ready to turn on this guy and lay a mushroom cloud, so i turn to him look at him from head to toe....

and lo and behold he had an F2 speedster..

We just looked at each other and laughed hard.... noone else got the joke...

brilliant day of riding followed by a great night out with his posse and mine...

i wish that happened more.....

Dude, I just shot hot tea out both nostirls.........for the luv can you say stuff like that in public? With your out loud voice??? Good God, don't think I've laughed that hard since a girl named "sky" (not making it up, her brothers middle name is "earth") endo'd into three feet of fresh powder.

Pebu, do you board at Crystal, or one of the other mountains near by? I'm one of those people that is at Crystal a lot. All of the people on alpine boards there that I have met have been a lot of fun. And basically, all of us are looking to learn from eachother, so it shouldn't be any suprise to any of us to be approached. I'm up at Crystal as many weekends as i can be because I have a season pass too. Looks like this weekend probably isn't going to happen but probably the next 2 or 3 after that. Maybe i'll see you out there.

legendary. You should be script writer on family guy; and that is the biggest compliment I can give.

Willywhit...

That it does... Though it snowed here this morning. A few heavy inches, but it should make for good hardpack and cord. Calling for more cold too, so that's good for the snowmakers.

Knoch...

Yeah, I'd say about 99% of my board-time is at Crystal. I see a few other hardbooters around there, but not too often.

I'd like to get out to some other places, but there's that whole time and money issue. I'll probably go to cabrefae peaks once or twice this year because my uncle likes it there. And I'm gonna head up to my alma matter (MTU) and go to bohemia one or two more times (weather permitting). I'm sure I'll be at crystal on the 13 and 14th though. If you see a hardbooter (or softbooter, depending on the snow) riding with a skier with a rooster hat on (you'll know it when you see it), I'm the boarder. The skier is my brother.