Note to New Members ×

Tuning question

Louis

Hello guys,

I got a bit worried, i took my board to a boardshop to get tuned, and after handing me the board they said that the base was getting pretty ugly.

I took the best tune up they offered... and i went riding 1x and my base is getting withish again (like its drying)

what should I do ? I guess they only put 1 or 2 coat of wax (the board was not waxed for a long time before that)

I want to rescape my board, If I try to wax it do I have chance that it will get worst ?

Pictures to come..

When you guys say something like "wax it ever time you go out" you don't mean you hot-wax it every day, do you? I can understand hot-waxing after a handful of days of riding, but doing it every day seems excessive. If you use some other sort of wax, what type do you use?

everytime, after a wholw day riding, the base turns greying on the side by the edges...does it mean i should wax after everytime i go out?

I give my board one hot wax a season. After that I finish it every evening after riding with some hard wax and rub it in with the former mentioned WAXwhizzard. Yes the base along the edges will lose its wax the fastest because that's were you ride your board the most.

Wax on,.........wax off

Wax on,.........wax off

repeat

repeat

Wax is the life blood of your base. If you want a quick hot wax, try the crayon method (search for previous posts) e.g. http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=10464&highlight=crayon+hot+wax

(this only really works well once the base has a good saturation as trikerdad suggested). Take your stick wax and rub it on the board fairly heavily, then hit it w/ the iron. Only a little bit of scraping/waste. Also a great method for hotel rooms :biggthump

ah Daniel-Son:D

...this only really works well once the base has a good saturation as trikerdad suggested).

Another vote for daily waxing with the Ray's Way Wax Whizard - quick and REALLY saves $$ over iron waxing. Once my base is prepped with ironed in (multiple times as trikerdad says) renew wax (I use http://www.dominatorwax.com/renewzoom.html) then I wax exclusively with the Whizard. Even with the Renew Zoom, I still rub it on thickly (it's soft) and then iron it in, then a light scrape, rub with green scrubbie, then brush out the structure with brass/horsehair brush. Daily race/train/freeride waxes go over this. Ray's Way also sells something called the Hi-Glide tool which will take off some of that oxidized p-tex and any little hairs etc.

So for somebody who's new and actually uses the whole base of the board (as opposed to good carvers, who 99 percent of the time use the 1 inch from the edge and 1% are on the full base) the occasional hotwax and then some sort of rub-on or the wax wizard after every day of boarding should be enough to keep it in decent shape, right?

I've been boarding for at least 8 years and I have a pretty good idea of what the base is supposed to be like, but I like to hear what other people have to say about it.

anyone ever take the scraped off wax and iron it back into your board?

it's probably as stupid as it sounds in my head, but what if it's clean and everything?

again, refer to previous thread: http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=10464&highlight=crayon+hot+wax

trailertrash & wavechaser: Rays Way sounds interesting - any details on how, what etc. e.g. is it standard wax with a unique application method, or?

regardless, waxing can be therapeutic!! invite friends, open a merlot, crank the floor heater and enjoy!

cool, thanks for the referal :biggthump

i've been wasting a lot of wax. i do full hot waxes every time out. crayon method seems effective and efficient.

what about graphite vs. regular wax? is graphite wax harder to crayon in? all my boards have black bases, so there's nothing to worry about there.

...the occasional hotwax and then some sort of rub-on or the wax wizard after every day of boarding should be enough to keep it in decent shape, right?

Pebu...it's not a choice of a rub-on OR the Wax Whizard - the Wax Whizard is just a tool to work the rubbed-on (aka "crayoned" on) wax into the base. Visit www.alpineskituning.com and look around. Email or call Ray about his system - he's really friendly and willing to spend time explaining his system and tailoring it to your specific needs.

trailertrash & wavechaser: Rays Way sounds interesting - any details on how, what etc. e.g. is it standard wax with a unique application method, or?

Use any wax - I use the Dominator Zoom/Butter/Bullet system but

I race fairly seriously...you can find much cheaper hydrocarbon wax at www.racewax.com, which will work just fine for every day freeriding.

Ray's site is at:

http://www.alpineskituning.com/index.htm

Give him a call or email.

what about graphite vs. regular wax? is graphite wax harder to crayon in? all my boards have black bases, so there's nothing to worry about there.

Graphite is just an additive - it can be in soft (warm) or hard (cold) wax, so the graphite doesn't affect the ease of crayoning onto the base. It will stain non-black bases, but will not harm them.