Note to New Members ×

Newbie Question - Sorry

SnoBear

So I'm a true newbie...I have read that you can use ski boots but hard snowboard boots are better. How do the 2 differ? Flex, lean etc...

I already have a pair of Salomon ski boots that I am very comfortable with ,Salomon Evolution2 7.0. (I am a decent skier and a good freeride boarder.)

If you are very comfortable in your ski boots then they probably won't be a problem on a snowboard. Go for it! That will give you the option to quickly switch from board to skis and back throughout the day.

Or if you feel like the boots are holding you back, you can find some used boots for cheap. Or heck, buy new!

http://www.bomberonline.com/store/boots/

from what ive gathered, ski boots are stiffer than snowboard boots, and snowboard boots are designed a little differently to accomodate the forward/backward foot movement snowboarders use instead of the side to side motion skiiers use when changing edges. But there are carvers out there who ride ski boots very successfully.

Also, UPZ makes hardboots that are supposed to convert from ski to snowboard easily... If you want the convenience but find the ski boots unfit for snowboarding the UPZ boots might be the solution.

snowboard boots are designed a little differently to accomodate the forward/backward foot movement snowboarders use instead of the side to side motion skiiers use when changing edges.

With binding angles around 60 degrees, there is A LOT of side-to-side motion while carving.

Stiffer laterally, much longer sole length. these are the two biggest differences that come to mind right now. If you buckle them up a little differently, you can use them for riding. Set up your cuff buckles a little looser than you would for skiing and do a little "carpet surfing" till you feel comfortable flexing/moving around on the board. You kinda know what you will want to start with as you already board. You will also need to turn up the angles a little more than you would with snowboard hardshell boots.

Just ride what you have for now. I rode Tech. TNTs in Bomber TD1s for years. Rode great I just had to get used to them.. Matter of fact I rode only ski boots from 91-98. with a few times I tried snowboard boots but they always just exploded. :biggthump

HEY SAN DIEGO SNOBEAR

If you can... outfit your freeride board to accept your ski boots too. This way you only need to lug one set of boots wherever you head. Having the extra set of plate bindings is well worth it if you want to carve the first lines into fresh groom, mid-day ski with your late rising buddies, then thrash around the chop till the lifts close on your freeride.

Brad

With binding angles around 60 degrees, there is A LOT of side-to-side motion while carving.

So true..I noticed more shin slints when sking hard .

I've race in high school sking, came out of the service freinds were freeride boarding, bought my first freeride one year later bought a FP 180s and never turned back .....its the most exspressive sport out there if you ask me.

Im almost .....sad not to miss sking :AR15firin

Have a blast!

Just ride what you have for now. I rode Tech. TNTs in Bomber TD1s for years. Rode great I just had to get used to them.. Matter of fact I rode only ski boots from 91-98. with a few times I tried snowboard boots but they always just exploded. :biggthump

That is interesting I liked my TNTs better can you put clip in heels on TNTs??

with allot of dremel work, seen both burton physics and intec modded ski boots

ski boots take allot of tweaking to work well IMHO

cateks are your friend if you have ski boots

ski boots really rattle you on the heelside in hard snow

if thats all you have then go for it but ski boots really make you have to stay on top of your game, stiff and unforgiving bastards

my knees can't handle ski boots these days, too rigid

Length is actually never a problem, it's just how steep or low angles you want to ride. Longer sole makes for steeper angles on a given board. Then, not all ski boots are very long soled. From my experience Nordica is good.

Further some ski boots are more suited for for riding. Many people liked Raichle Flexons. I find that many old race ski boots had flehing devices (like RABs), and lean and flex could be adjusted. Many modern ones you can put in walk mode to make them softer, or simply do not overtighten the top 2 buckles. Especially 2nd one from top affects the flex.

The best snowboard boots around, Head Stratos Pro, are actually an old ski boot shell...

Someone mentioned forward lean... Not an issue either. Good bindings have cant/lift adjustable, so for more lean you'll use more heel lift, right? It would actually feel better, because your foot is in more natural position to your calf.

As for bouncing around on heel side on hard pack, yes it does happen. But it depens a lot on the dampening ability of your bindings and board, too. It happpens on board boots too, I believe.

Many racers believe that stiffer boot gives better edge hold on hard pack...

So, try learning on your existing boots, without spending money. If you succeeded, you'll be able to ride anything. If not, you still can try the snowboard boots.

Oh, yes, with ski boots, you do not need to go very stiff with bindings. Some Snowpros or F2s would do (money saving, again).

Boris