Note to New Members ×

HWY 35 to Mt Hood Meadows Closed

lex

Looks like the rain in the NW was responsible for this one. Mud and boulders are strewn across 8 miles of HW 35 effectively cutting off access to Mt Hood Meadows. The only access to the resort is a Forrest Service road.

from oregonlive.com

"On Mount Hood, as much as a million cubic yards of rock, mud and sand covered a quarter-mile stretch of Oregon 35, the main highway connecting U.S. 26 from Government Camp to Hood River. The White River burst over the highway in a rain-driven torrent Monday night and again Tuesday, said Bill Barnhart, an Oregon Department of Transportation manager. There were no estimates when the highway would reopen, but state officials predicted federal money would be needed for the repairs. U.S. Rep. Greg Walden, R-Ore., was expected to tour the area.

ODOT officials initially said the cleanup and repairs could cost as much as $20 million. Rebuilding in the same spot is open for debate, Barnhart said."

lets hope that they get this cleaned up or temporary access built soon!!

10273845_320X240.jpg

10273846_320X240.jpg

10273847_320X240.jpg

10273848_320X240.jpg

10273849_320X240.jpg

Meh. Just gotta take the jeep I guess ;) . That looks like some gooooood road damage. We had similar damage here in the spring and they just finished fixing it. Where you have highway damage though, they might fix it faster? Ouch. At least the mountain won't be as crowded, or maybe you're gonna be sitting in traffic on a forest service road :eek: .

$20 million to fix it? Wonder how long that's going to take...it could be a pretty good year for Timberline and Ski Bowl.

I'm down with ridesharing, especially if it turns out to be a 3 to five hour one-way trip like going to Tahoe from the Bay Area...

We just need a lift from T-line to the top of Cascade at Meadows. :cool:

That would be awesome. Or, they could start doing avalanche control in the White River Canyon, and let us ride across to Meadows. (Maybe with a rope tow to get up the Meadows side of the canyon.) :biggthump

I hate to add insult to injury, but I chose not to buy a season pass at Meadows this year and put the money into travelling a few hours to other resorts. It is a pity. Meadow corporate attitude appeared last month when I heard they had surpassed their sales goal for season passes and acted like they didn't even care if they got snow or not. Their accountant/controller told this to my dad. And now I hear Dave R. whining on his blog, which I don't blame him for. Its not all about Meadows. Lots of other people use that road too.

I really feel sorry for the employees and the pass holders more than the decison makers in the corporate offices. I'm really glad I didn't buy a pass now. And I apolygize to my 4x4 pass group for bailing on them.

Ed

I bought a Fusion Pass too :eplus2: . which I would have bought anyway.

Maybe meadows can park us before the road is out and have a temporay foot bridge and bus up from there. On the way home we can do a white river out-of-bounds run down the canyon to the parking spot without fear of our passes be pulled :cool: . :o

I like the way you think Jim, but of course you know that would take an act of Congress.

I hate to add insult to injury, but I chose not to buy a season pass at Meadows this year and put the money into travelling a few hours to other resorts. It is a pity. Meadow corporate attitude appeared last month when I heard they had surpassed their sales goal for season passes and acted like they didn't even care if they got snow or not. Their accountant/controller told this to my dad. And now I hear Dave R. whining on his blog, which I don't blame him for. Its not all about Meadows. Lots of other people use that road too.

I really feel sorry for the employees and the pass holders more than the decison makers in the corporate offices. I'm really glad I didn't buy a pass now. And I apolygize to my 4x4 pass group for bailing on them.

Ed

I bought a Fusion Pass too :eplus2: . which I would have bought anyway.

Dude, I am starting to think you in fact DO have pychic powers. Be scared, very scared of this man.

One more day before the Fusion Pass goes up another 50$ . Decisions, decisions. :smashfrea