Note to New Members ×

One for the Coiler Riders

No.2

I'm starting to think about a Custom carving board. Every thing I have ever bought has always been too some thing or not enough some thing else. I've enjoyed the learning curve. I think now it is time. I've been having a squiz at the Kessler and Holzinger snowboards as well but for now just wanted some independant impressions on 2 Coilers I've got my eye on;

180 RaceCarve 162EF 18.8WW 11.5SCR 2Taper

184 FreeCarve 166EF 18.7WW 12.7SCR 0Taper

For me carving is all about clean lines, little jumps and Gs (I like to turn tight) not, as yet, into race lines. I like lively, poppy boards that love to edge on hard icy stuff. So before this ends up sounding too much like a personal add...

Has any one ridden both of these. Which way would you lean for head banger type rideing?

Last year I bought a 180 RC II. I have all possible features in it (no titanal). Edge change is quick for such a long board, you can make short turns as long turns. Edge hold is superb. If its in a rail, you will stay there. It gives a lot of confidence when you rail this one at high speeds. This board don't like low speeds. Therefore, it's a RaceCarve. That's why the board is for an intermediate to advanced rider. For me it's no cruiser, you have to pay attention when flat. But may be the reason was that my edges were at 0 degrees. I have now set them to 89/1 to make it less aggressive at/to the edge.

If you like a very poppy/lively board, don't take this one. My Coiler is as damp as could be. The advantage of that is, it goes through everything like there is none.

Just my 2 cents about this board.

Greets, Hans.

Thanks guys. Hey Gecko can you explain this.

IMO the taper makes completing turns easier

I was under the impression that taper only really effected transition and flat boarding characteristics. The only board I've ridden that was significantly tapered was really easy to skid the first part of the turn and needed a bit more commitment to get down in to the turn. Unlike those reverse taper Protons that, when not detuned, throw you in there weather you like it or not. I kind of like that.

I'll get a fast damp board some day as well but for now I'm talking a really edgy and chearful blade that likes Gs (Not nessarily GS).

Either of you guys riden the Freecarve as well?

Someone with more experience than me can probably explain in more scientific terms but taper for me means that the board releases from a turn easier than no taper. I never really understood this until I started wedging/dewedging my DH skateboard trucks and then what I felt in my snowboard made more sense. I find boards with no taper to be hooky in tight turns especially not flowing as easy as I would like. I have an RC175 and it does all that I can ask and I know has sooo much for me to grow into. the Dampness of Coiler make them a lot easier to ride IMO than any other board that I have riden

Protons have NO taper (nose and tail width are equal) - that's why they tend to feel "hooky" (love that term :rolleyes: ), requiring a bit more to get them to "let go" of that edge at the end of the turn and transition to the next. From what I've heard, some WC racers in Europe don't like taper in their decks. Many do. I personally notice a BIG difference between those with and without and prefer some taper. Personal pref. thing.

Hey Kirk. One of the guys here has a Proton with reverse tapper. Maybe older ones do?

It is interesting that taper is what we are talking about here. I guess it is the only thing that is fundamentally different between the Freecarve and Racecarve Coilers besides the SCR and it is only 2mm. I do like a hooky board. I find taper gives a more gradual initiation, easier speed checks and less frightening flatboarding.. you too? How ever I like a board that hooks, hangs on and pops.

Also when you are freecarving you don't "let go" of the carve as such do you. You just pop and swap right? In which case if you have an 8mm taper you have the rear of the new edge swung 8mm out from the old edge and the board pointing in a bit. Of-course as you tip the board up it tracks back out to straight again. Which would kind of create a natural 'stability' right?

When you bring it back down it turns back in a bit, again more stability and make those speed checks more automatic. And then when your flat it wont bite so bad if you catch an edge. All good for edge of control stuff eh?

I'm on the right track here arn't I? At least thats what if feels like to me.

Has any one actually riden a Coiler Freecarve?

with superboard or world cup they are real damp, without the rubber they feel alot like a prior or a donek but not nearly as snappy as a madd

for a super livley ride that wants to jump from turn to turn that nothing can touch go Madd

now if you want the ultimate confidence builder and a board that will bash through crud that would be a coiler with the extra rubber, I love both Madd and Coiler but I'm a diehard Coiler rider first and formost

I'll get a Madd '58 someday and maybe a stiff Madd 180 but they will always take a back seat to stuff Bruce slings

I have a 180 RCII, it rips, good freecarver, I like it alot

Cheers bobdea.

Have you riden an RC as well as an RCII? Bigger sidecut and more taper.. thoughts there?

Would you go WWC or SuperBoard? From the site "Available in two levels depending on amount of board rebound required for the rider's ability level"

So you can specify less rubber for more rebound if you like?

Not riden/demoed a FC as well?

I'll get a Madd '58 someday and maybe a stiff Madd 180

Bob, you really need to try the 180 at your size. The F3 180 is probably perfect for you. Amazingly damp, and feels like a real long 190+, but can crank out real tight deep carves with ease and confidence, then will pop you to to the other edge in a flash. Lotsa fun.

So It's a Madd 170 for head banging all over the mountain. The Coiler RC or RCII for every thing else.

Still curious about the RC vs RCII and how the Freecarve rides in comparison.

I'm 6ft3' and 180 lbs with a comfortable stance width of around 21' I wish Madd made a 164 version of the 158 for people with a high center of gravity. :)

I'm 200 and the 158 Madd worked great for me. Don't be scared, just set the nose HARD and it takes off! Much more fun than the 170.

Cheers Chris. Hey how tall are you. I'm not too worried about the weight. I'm quite light for 6 3'. And the Madd come in different flexs don't they. I like a wide stance width around 21' (Long legs) and I'm sure some one that was 5 10' would feel a lot more in proportion with the 158 than I would. I'd love to see a 1.05:1 scale model of the 158.

Cheers bobdea.

Have you riden an RC as well as an RCII? Bigger sidecut and more taper.. thoughts there?

Would you go WWC or SuperBoard? From the site "Available in two levels depending on amount of board rebound required for the rider's ability level"

So you can specify less rubber for more rebound if you like?

Not riden/demoed a FC as well?

I've not been on the other RCs, been on a few PR's though

the best answer I can give you is ask Bruce, he can do anything, one of my boards is a interesting beast and the thing is the shizle if you can power it, keeps you on your toes

I'd say superboard and world cup depends how much snap you wanna give up, superboard is the way to go with the longer stuff though unless you do metal................

though I love the RCII 180

The AMs are friggin' nuts, if I were to reccomend for someone who had not been on a coiler and is not looking for a race specific deck the AM is the way to go, mine will go anywhere and rip on hardpack as well as most race decks

get one in a longer size and have fun, also ask Bruce what else he has, there are a few shapes that are not listed on the site

Even if you wanna go custom it's not too expensive.

after my current board it's gonna be either a big AM or a SL stick, I suppose it'll depend on where I decide to live

I rode a 177 AM and enjoyed the way it carved telepathically how ever it was too wide for really quick edge transitions which is what I really like to do.

May be I need the short Madd for crackle pop and a RC or FC for everything else.

I can't belive no one here has riden an FC.. :(

Bob makes a good point about the AMs. They are great boards. I've ordered two AM customs - one which I've had for 2 years, one which is being built (I believe) as we speak:

182 - 157 edge - 12.7m sidecut - 19.5cm width (kinds of a blend of AM and RC)

172 - 148 edge - 12m sidecut - 21.5cm width (stock expect the sidicut)

The 182 might be right up your alley. If interested contact Bruce about pricing - I

Other Coilers I've ridden - stock shapes -

PR188 / 18cm

PR184 / 18.4cm

AM 177 / 21.5cm

My AMs are all Standard construction and my PRs all Superboard.

Coilers tend to turn tight for their sidecut if ridden by someone who fits the target weight. This is perhaps part of the reason why you don't see as many FC's - the RC's are really friendly rides and incredibly versatile. Even the 13.2m sidecut PRs are ridiculously friendly boards to ride.

The Superboard construction is very, very damp. The Standard construction is moderately damp. If you want snappy go with a Madd or Donek or something else. Madd and Donek Olympic are both a great combination of snappy and good on ice... I really, really dig the Madd 158 but I prefer Donek FC 175/171 to the Madd 170. A Coiler RC 175 might be a good choice as well for something that turns tight.

That is a really good heads up into the world of Coilers, Madds and Doneks even.

I really want to ride them all now. So how to find a Donek FC 175, a Madd 158 and a bunch Coiler FC and RC demo rigs all in the one place???

I've got to get up your way some day.

Thanks again guys.

BTW Mike T the concept of a long skinny AM flex and shaped board is something I never would have considered. The AMs run a bit of taper too don't they and usually have less torsional stiffness while haveing more in the front and tail and less in the middle right? Sounds like quite a unique ride. Tell me were do you think a board like that would excel over say a similar sized WWC RC.

Blank profile?... where are you located No.2?

<TABLE class=tborder id=post109872 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px"><TABLE cellSpacing=4 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD noWrap>No.2 user_online.gif<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_109872", true); </SCRIPT>

Groomer Grommet

</TD><TD width="100%"> </TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap>Join Date: Oct 2004

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- / user info --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1><!-- message, attachments, sig --><!-- message -->Auckland New Zealand... Just slightly north of the Antartic and actually a very long way from Australia! I spend most of my time riding on a wild and windy ice corvered active volcano that is all old lava flows and not a tree in sight.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Guess that rules out a demo day in my neck of the woods

Auckland New Zealand... Just slightly north of the Antartic and actually a very long way from Australia! I spend most of my time riding on a wild and windy ice corvered active volcano that is all old lava flows and not a tree in sight.

I like lively, poppy boards that love to edge on hard icy stuff. So before this ends up sounding too much like a personal add...

Has any one ridden both of these. Which way would you lean for head banger type rideing?

I've got RC 175 custom, and it's very dump!

Maybe it's a Pogo Impact you're looking for