Note to New Members ×

Ordered a new toy

skatha

Can you get your insurance company to cover the cost of that (after deductible) as "durable medical equipment"???

You did order the manual shift to exercise your ankle, no? :biggthump:biggthump

Yeah, that's it!!!!

The entire thing is now tax deductible......

And, TEX...where do your children sit on your new Triumph????

notice that I am wearing a helmet, though :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

By the way, I have decided (again) that Mrs.Tex is the coolest wife in the world... The other day we stopped by the local Harley dealer to pick up some new gloves, and they've got this crand new customized Road King with a sidecar. Mrs. Tex turns to me and says "you should get one of those for your next bike - that way we can go with you on long trips"

(I asked - it was like a $45k custom job)

Thanks, Honey! :biggthump

Your new toy sounds like a gas guzzler. As a tree hugger, I feel compelled to scold you :nono: for not following the lead of those who are concerned about the future of this planet. Take for example, Stefano Attart, who braved the scorn of his pickup-reving, Jeep-driving peers to make his contribution to ensuring a prosperous future for the planet by buying a smart car (below) :lol: :lol: :lol:

post-1011-141842219047_thumb.jpg

post-1011-14184221905_thumb.jpg

Your new toy sounds like a gas guzzler. As a tree hugger, I feel compelled to scold you :nono: for not following the lead of those who are concerned about the future of this planet. Take for example, Stefano Attart, who braved the scorn of his pickup-reving, Jeep-driving peers to make his contribution to ensuring a prosperous future for the planet by buying a smart car (below) :lol: :lol: :lol:

I hear you brutha! Tree huggers unite! :biggthump I don't think it's the stock 3 cylinder engine in that thing though.

As a mechanic let me say this; you shoulda bought a Subaru and spent the rest of the money on snowboards!!! I HATE working on BMW cars, I have never seen such retarded wiring in my life. I just had the whole powertrain out of a M3 w/a aftermarket supercharger and I hated it. (Well, the Dinan blower was cool!) Well, that said, have fun with it!

A mechanic friend of MINE says that he hates working on any car that is post 1985, or: Mitsubishi, Ford, Dodge, European.

The great thing about having an expensive car such as a BMW, Saab, Mercedes, Ect. is that you don't need to dish out to have it serviced, just bring it to the dealer and more than likely it's under warranty or something. in almost 4 years of owning my Saab 9-3, I've had to pay for work to be done on it exactly twice. Once was to install a new (and aftermarket) part and the other time was to have it realigned after the body shop that fixed it after a slight lapse in judgement realigned it.

Skatha, I don't know if this is your first "nice" car, but if it is, be prepared to NEVER be able to stand the service department at a lower priced car dealer again.

________

Focus Wrc

The 5 gets better gas mileage than my Volvo S40 with a 1.9L engine

My dad got a 2004 545 and has spent exactly nothing on it's service. Meanwhile my S40-which is not a nice car-is already getting more and more expensive to own.

It has 76K miles on it.

I have had 3 brake jobs at $700 a piece. I had to have a brake job immediately upon buying it-used with 20K miles. I need another brake job, BTW

The oil costs $70 to change

The antenna is broken and gone

The door handles on my and the left rear passenger's door broke simultaneously last month

The AC module needs to be replaced.

Last oil change, I was advised that the oil dipstick tube was leaking oil(I had that fixed) and both front and rear sway bars needed to be replaced.

I've already had the catalytic converter replaced-under warranty.

My Expedition, with 136K miles, had it's first non-routine maintenance this week. I got the cruise control switch replaced.

Volvos are crap cars now-and I really don't know it's Ford's fault, as evidenced by my problem free ownership on my truck.

Whew! They probably had some scratches or corrosion on them, and the shop was looking to make a quick buck. :lol:

I know sometimes the bushings fail, but the bars themselves? You made a good choice, especially with taking those turns extra hard. I make sure to do that at least a few times per trip, just to make sure everything is in working order. :biggthump

Whew! They probably had some scratches or corrosion on them, and the shop was looking to make a quick buck. :lol:

I know sometimes the bushings fail, but the bars themselves? You made a good choice, especially with taking those turns extra hard. I make sure to do that at least a few times per trip, just to make sure everything is in working order. :biggthump

My dad used to call them "Italian tune-ups"....run as hard and as fast as you can....the fact he also had a Ferrari then (and now) didn't hurt either :biggthump

A BMW 530 with a manual tranny

0-60 in 6.4 sec :eplus2:

Satellite radio (Sirius, of course :biggthump )

Sport package/premium package/active steering :eplus2:

rear curtain airbags for the kiddos :ices_ange

up to 90 days for delivery..... :eek:

Depnds what you are going to do with it. Yes it makes this acceleration on straight if you have good tires, but in bend... It is heavy car (high polar inertia) it will not ome close to Miata, Toyoyta MR2, Mini Cooper and Porsche. But you will be happy because it is a great solid car.

Just do not expect much perfomance. The number you give is a catchy marketing just like peak power advertised with cars. During autocrosses just after a few months of doing this I smoke new BMW 330 that is lighter than new 530... with my older 325i that has 70 bhp less. I will keep secret how I am doing this... but cheer you up I now smoke many Porsches (including some drivers in Caymans older BMW M3 and everything that tries to bve similar to BMW 325/330). Not on straight stretch of course.

With manual tranny... I hope you know how to double clutch if you really want to use some performance of this car. Active steering does not go well with sports package, but one may like it.

Have a lot of fun and congratulations on good choice!

kinda slow 0-60? my new toy does it under 4...

:eplus2::eplus2::eplus2::eplus2::eplus2::eplus2::eplus2::eplus2:

congrats - nice ride

Sure. But what can you do with your toy when they set tight turns? You know a car still needs a driver. Pure power is not everthing. If you want 2.9 to 60mph then get Ariel Atom, but then it does not prove much or bring any comfort. Heck... some cars can do very well in gravel or on tarmack... but driveres are not always fast ;)

As a mechanic let me say this; you shoulda bought a Subaru and spent the rest of the money on snowboards!!! I HATE working on BMW cars, I have never seen such retarded wiring in my life. I just had the whole powertrain out of a M3 w/a aftermarket supercharger and I hated it. (Well, the Dinan blower was cool!) Well, that said, have fun with it!

About wiring some say the same about American cars and like BMW. I don't know. It probably depends where you live and how good are electrical diagrams :)

Maybe wiring in that car was also aftermarket do-it-yourself.