Justin A.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest dragon fly jones

Holla when you roll into town - I am not riding the TP but will be out training for upcoming Mtb and road races and would love to ride with you.

CB - if you need the number email me on via the link on my info/contact link.

Okay....anybody want to head over and ride in the tour? It looks like they are in need of a few riders......

I'll be riding by Bomber Industries next weekend for the Triple Bypass. I'll wave Fin....

We do have some indirect hardboot representation at the tour again this year. Jimmy Railey (general hardboot slayer) is riding each stage of the tour, the day before the actual tour does the stage. He did it last year as well. You can view info about his progress here: http://www.destinationcycling.com/tdfc2006/

too bad tyler hamilton isn't in it this year. He is from a 2 towns away from me. Great guy i heard.

Justin, my classes finish in 3 weeks so i defintly might be biking up there with you. I'll let you know when I'm heading up. Again, thanks for the invite.

Hamilton is looking at a lifetime suspention for using the same Dr from Spain that all the others got busted for using. Three strikes for Tyler. At least he keeps his Gold. velonews.com has a couple of good articles and links for the TDF story.

Guest dragon fly jones

Tyler is a nice guy and I have had the chance to ride with him, I found him to be funny, sincere, direct and one helluva rider. I cannot say more than that until this is resolved. I hope that the latest allegations are false other wise he is going to have a ton of explaining to do and all of it will be very bad for him. The scarlet D (doper) is a heavy burden to carry.

Tyler has some of the most random excuses to all his previous doping charges. At this point you have to just say dude smarten' up. From whay little facts I know, I think he should be banned for life from cycling.

Does he still hold the record for the Mt Washington hill climb in NH?

I think he does still have the record. He is a nice guy in person, I have met him at a couple local events also Dragonfly. But being accused by three different governing bodies for three different dopping types, even his biggest fans have got to say WTF Tyler. I havent torn his autographed poster out of my workout room yet but he needs to put some credability into his defence. Look at Lance when he was accused of having a relationship with the Italian Dr that got tagged two years ago... I bet this brings em out from the woodwork...

mention L.A. and the :smashfrea will begin.

Finished the Triple Bypass on Saturday.....but not w/o a few challenges. I should have had my snowboard strapped on for Loveland Pass. Urghhhh.

Rained all day..although cleared up for my Vail Pass decent into Avon.

Stopped in at BOL HQ on Friday, but looked like Fin was "out sick". ;)

>>>>>>>>>>

As for the Tour notes....c'mon guys, cycling is a doper sport...always has been/always will.

Don't gimme that "Lance" crap either. He's too busy making money to come clean and address the media about Operation Puerto. Lance could literally change the sport forever and address the situation, but he's staying silent, for good reason......

Then again, I don't really care if they are clean or not. It's soooo bad in cycling that everyone is blood doping...so it's basically an even playing field, IMO.

It's like the "All Drug Olympics" skit on SNL.

Tyler has come up with the Lamest Excuse....persistent fetal circulation...

First, that effect is only seen in autotransfusion between mother and baby-he should've read the next page in the textbook.....

Second, the patients that have persistant fetal hemoglobin of their own making have alpha thallessemia or sickle cell disease AND their fetal hemoglobin has the same HLA markers as the rest of their blood-needless to say, not your typical world class cyclist.....

I signed up to do the Ride to the Roses in Austin for the LAF but I've fallen off the Lance bandwagon.....

Can you guys recommend a good rear derailleur for mountain bike use? My kid had his derailleur hanger break taking part of the frame of his bike with it. I think the failure was caused by the derailleur itself. Prior to his race, he noticed it was skipping a lot. It was a Shimano LX. I want to replace it for him with something stronger.

Can you guys recommend a good rear derailleur for mountain bike use? My kid had his derailleur hanger break taking part of the frame of his bike with it. I think the failure was caused by the derailleur itself. Prior to his race, he noticed it was skipping a lot. It was a Shimano LX. I want to replace it for him with something stronger.

XT would be the best value, but cronic hanger bending could mean other issues (chain stays bent, dropouts uneven, a whole host of things). It is replaceable or are you bending back by hand?

... it probably will be eventually.

I've always been of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought, but lessons to the contrary have started to sneak up on me lately.

Yesterday it was the rear derailleur cable. Who knew that the Ultegra brifters would eventually (after about 6K mles) chew through the cable. Halfway to work, I went for a downshift and the shifter ratcheted (or was it rat****ted :p ) to no effect. Of course the last half of the ride has all the hills.

An officemate gave me a ride to the bikeshop at lunchtime so I could buy a new cable. Turns out those are really easy to replace, (unless the old cable end-plug is trapped inside the mechanism :( ) I didn't see it when I first looked, but the mech wouldn't move the new cable. Eventually spotted one little stray cable strand and was able to extract the bug with pliers. I think I was lucky it didn't screw up the shifter.

Previously, I had noticed that rear derailleur didn't hold adjustment very long, and that upshifts (slacking the cable) were sluggish. Next time I'll try to remember to be a bit more proactive. It was only $3.50 for the cable.

XT would be the best value, but cronic hanger bending could mean other issues (chain stays bent, dropouts uneven, a whole host of things). It is replaceable or are you bending back by hand?

It's replaceable. But, it took a chunk of frame with it so Specialized is going to replace the whole frame. The dealer made mention of a design defect that causes the frame to frequently break near the hanger. Apparently, it's redesigned on the 2006 bikes. I have to cover the cost of the disassembly, shipping, the derailleur and ancillary parts to the tune of $250 so it certainly is a "limited" warranty. If it breaks again, I'm going to suggest a new frame for the lad. I would only take 5 years of cutting lawns to pay for it.

I checked with the dealer and the XT is only $20 more so I will go that route. I just hope the damn thing is stonger than the XL.

• 3 weeks later...

sorry to bother but its not only past champs that are doped, also actual ones... :)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/more/specials/tour_de_france/2006/07/27/landis.doping/index.html?cnn=yes

another victory for anti doping!

incredible how 80% of the tour bikers have medical treatment for asthma too....

It will take a few years to clean the tour, after that they can start cleaning athletism...

N

if anyone still believes the peloton is clean in a tour de france, its a good way to prove otherwise...Everytime someone raises the dope flag he is accused of beeing either greedy, nationalist ( eg: a US rider wins a french race so its bad so he is doped ( same goes vice versa with other dudes from other countries of course), or is insane...

so the smiley means: it comes as no surprise... but its a sad smiley.. if only racers were smart enough to understand doping can ruin their life in shame ( if not physically) and ruin their sport's reputation... how are u suppose to tell a kid to do biking if he sees the champs dope...?

we already talked about it on another off topic subject a few years ago here, and we raised the names of people like griffith joyner ( still holds a lot of records btw)... and there were still people claiming she was clean and no one proved anything....

Now we even Zidane has big doping rumors since a dumb french rockstar said in the news that he went to a swiss clinic to get blood transfused, and that he got the adress from his friend zidane that did it 2-3 times a year...

hopefully carving ice does just needs training and doping is a bit useless unless you race...

N