NEW Cycling Thread

Justin A.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Isn't it rather funny that on a bicycle we wear as little as possible: lycra on top and bottom, sunglasses, and a cheesey little EPS foam beanie. Same day after getting home, we will put on leather pants, a leather jacket, a full face helmet, and impact gloves?

I just snickered to myself about this when I looked at my cyclometer and my max speed was 47.1 mph. I did it going down Crawford Notch, in the middle of the lane of traffic (very very sparce) since afterall I was infact EXCEEDING the speed limit...on a bicycle. If I was on my motorcycle I would have been armored up, but I was wearing lycra shorts and a UA top with a $30 helmet and sunglasses. Why is this?

________

C292

They do in my local area, one of my friends got a ticket a few years ago for 45 in a 30, but he got out of it because he didn't have a computer at the time. They also ticket you for riding drunk, running lights, not indicating turns in traffic, ect. I think its a good idea to ticket cyclists, they are vehicles and thus need to obey traffic laws.

________

Vermont Medical Marijuana

Isn't it rather funny that on a bicycle we wear as little as possible: lycra on top and bottom, sunglasses, and a cheesey little EPS foam beanie. Same day after getting home, we will put on leather pants, a leather jacket, a full face helmet, and impact gloves?

I just snickered to myself about this when I looked at my cyclometer and my max speed was 47.1 mph. I did it going down Crawford Notch, in the middle of the lane of traffic (very very sparce) since afterall I was infact EXCEEDING the speed limit...on a bicycle. If I was on my motorcycle I would have been armored up, but I was wearing lycra shorts and a UA top with a $30 helmet and sunglasses. Why is this?

I think its because the potential for going fast is greater on a motorcycle. I've gone 20 over the speed limit on my rollerblades stupidly not wearing a helmet (getting one ASAP).

Here are some pics from my mountain biking trip to Oregon, two weeks ago. These are from the McKenzie River trail, about an hour from Bend. This was a 26 mile ride and was the best trail that I have ever ridden. The trail winds through the woods mostly following the river with some good technical sections through the lava rock and some really fun and fast sections. The scenery was just amazing with all of the greenery of ferns and moss growing under the canopy of trees! We rode past two waterfalls and at some point the river disappears into the ground and then reemerges in this awesome blue pool. I would definitely recommend this ride to anyone that can get there.

post-831-141842218754_thumb.jpg

post-831-141842218756_thumb.jpg

post-831-141842218757_thumb.jpg

A couple of factors come into consideration:

-When road cycling or cross country mountain biking, you want to carry as little weight as possible and want to be evacuating your sweat fast. Your average speed is not that high.

-When downhill biking, you wear lots of protective gear because you go fast on difficult terrain (and you don't pedal up the hill, so no sweat).

-When motorcycling, you don't have to pedal and you go fast, so you want protective gear and don't care much about the sweat (except if it's hot).

Dave- Yep that the one. I didn't know the names of then before but I just found an article about the trail and it says the 2 waterfalls are Sahalie and Koosah. So were you able to see the falls from the road or did you have to walk in?

I have to agree about the scenery it was amazing!

Like I said I would recomend that anyone that likes to mountain bike take a trip and go to this place. This is a quote taken from an article:

"The McKenzie River Trail is regarded as one of the best mountain bike trails in the U.S. Paralleling the McKenzie river and offering a wide variety of terrain, this trail provides challenging and scenic riding opportunities in the heart of the Oregon Cascades."

Quick Question to all who might know:

I just bought a new bike that came with clipless pedals, but it has the test platforms on the pedals and I can't get them out of the pedal. How do I get them out? I've been fighting with them trying to get them out like I would my foot in a shoe, but they just WON'T come out... Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

________

VAPORIZER REVIEW

Quick Question to all who might know:

I just bought a new bike that came with clipless pedals, but it has the test platforms on the pedals and I can't get them out of the pedal. How do I get them out? I've been fighting with them trying to get them out like I would my foot in a shoe, but they just WON'T come out... Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

A flat screwdriver in the notch on the back will pry it out. I can scan the instructions if you need it.

Some clipless pedals have tension adjustment screws at the front and back (one for each side). You may be able to loosen off the tension enough to get them out easier. Be careful though - on a few pedals that I've seen, if you loosen them off too much, and the screw comes out of the spring retainer, it can be a real pain to get them back together.

Derek

No biggie, Derf hit it on the head. Too bad I'm considering replacing the pedals with something a bit lighter now :cool:

If you do that, you're doomed. You may never be able to stop and you won't have enough money left for alpine gear. :flamethro

it seems like any sport or hobby that requires any form of equipment above a stick and a ball turns into a money pit. At the rate i'm going, I'm going to be broke my entire life

You and me both! Last night I learned the errors of my shifting ways the hard way. I was motoring up a hill and went to grab a downshift and split open my chain which then proceeded to rip my front derailleur apart and down into the chainrings. The guy at the bike shop set me straight this morning. Good news is that Giant agreed to pay the labor and replacement parts :biggthump Bad news is that with the money left over I threw an upgraded derailleur on for $30 (Shimano 105). Woot. Any recs for a nice stiff (STIFF) bottom bracket that a 400w rider can't flex?

Edit: OH NO! Im doing it again!

________

Dodge B Series History

I don't understand how you can break a front derailleur on a road bike :confused:

Seriously though, don't shift under power, especially up a hill, not good for the chain. If you change you chain, I've had good experiences with SRAM chains (formerly Sachs bought by SRAM), better than Shimano chains IMHO.

About the BB, get one with a cromoly or titanium axle, and be sure to get one with a full axle, not a hollow one. I don't which model, but check with your local bike shop. And if you want a stiffer BB, I don't recommend getting lighter pedals. Light weight has a cost (other than monetary).

The whole schebang is fixed already, the LBS just removed and replaced the broken link instead of the whole chain

Sorry for the st00ped question, but...

Why should I avoid lighter pedals if I want a stiffer BB?

The BB might not even be the issue here, it might be something else. My problem is that when I pedal on the drive side, the chainrings and chain seem to flex and it makes the chain rub on the outer edge of the front derailleur. It might just be my noobish pedaling technique, but maybe not. Any ideas?

________

Ios games

The whole schebang is fixed already, the LBS just removed and replaced the broken link instead of the whole chain

The BB might not even be the issue here, it might be something else. My problem is that when I pedal on the drive side, the chainrings and chain seem to flex and it makes the chain rub on the outer edge of the front derailleur. It might just be my noobish pedaling technique, but maybe not. Any ideas?

Why avoid lighter pedals? I think it's the old adage: Weight, Price, Durability - pick any two. How much weight would you save with lighter pedals? How much do you weigh? Would it really make a difference?

About the chain rubbing on front der when you apply power on drive side. One possibility is that the crank to BB connection has play in it. It could possibly be frame flex too. What gears does this happen in? Are you cross-chained when it happens?

I was suggesting maybe staying away from lighter pedals for a couple of reasons:

-I assumed you wanted a stiffer BB because it was flexing because of the weight when standing up on the pedals

-Like for BBs, manufacturers save weight on pedals through the axle. They usually put a Titanium axle and/or a smaller axle. A smaller axle in your case might not be a good idea. Check the available models.

It's either BB flex or crank flex. I don't think your chainring is warped as the bike shop would have noticed right away when repairing your chain. It is not frame flex as the frame does flex, but not in a way to make the chain rub on the derailleur.

It may be the pedaling technique, but I can't say at this point. An advantage that clipless pedal have is that with them, you are able to distribute the effort more evenly throughout the crank revolution. This creates less strain on the transmission and is more efficient.

It's certainly not the chainring being warped because it was doing this the day that I picked it up from the dealer.

Im going to bet on somthing flexing or it being my BB. It still could be my crappy pedaling technique; I was on a trainer yesterday getting the bike fitted up for me and pedaling was like...terrible, it was kinda like chopping wood, where it felt like I was only powering in the downstroke. Im just going to have to work on it, maybe I'll pick up a trainer myself next time I have $200 to blow.

________

No2 Vaporizer Reviews