Note to New Members ×

Newbie help!

roscoe

I am presently a dreaded softbooter, BUT I would like to change over to hardboots and pick up an alpine board, but I have a few questions ...

I weigh about 155-160 and am 5'8", probably not going to grow too much more (inch max), but maybe put on another 5 pounds or so. I've been thinking about getting a used/demo Prior AWD or Donek Axxes or Coiler AM as all three have been recommended as great all-mountain boards ... but what size?

I wear a 9.5 shoe, and measured my foot and it was a 26.3 ... go with the 26's? (i've read the 26's are for 26.0-26.9, and its easier to make small boot bigger than big boot smaller)

I know bomber supports TD2's, but are Cateks that much worse? (I ask b/c I have seen them on sale here). Also, are they compatable with the intec heels sold here on bomber?

Thanks for any help ... and if anyone has any of this equipment, feel free to email at r.cowman@gmail.com

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The three all mountain board choices you listed are all excellent choices. At your weight, any of the boards at 167-169 would be great. The Donek and Prior would arrive before the snow flies again, but ordering a Coiler now would be at least a 1 year wait.

If your foot measures 26.3, go with a sz26 mondo boot for sure.

Cateks are certainly not 'worse' than Bombers. Each have their strengths and weaknesses, and you can read about them all here: http://alpinecarving.com/binding_model.html

Both Cateks and Bombers are able to use Intec heels.

Hope this helps.

Im not exactly a senior member here, but i do know that you want to go with the 26 boots.

Bomber of course supports TDs, but between TDs and Cateks there really isnt that big a difference. With TDs you have to know what you want before you get it, and when you do get them they are amazing. Cateks have more adjustability. To get Intec compatable bindings you need to buy a step-in model, NOT a standard.

The size of the board: it depends on the size of the runs on your mountain and the crowds. The rule of thumb here is go as large as you can. id say somewhere between 160 and 168 for your size, if youve got wide open runs you could go up around 172 if you wanna and if youre riding really close quarters somewhere around 157.

You can't go wrong with those boards. Take them as large as you can get because the radius of those boards is little/small so turning would be easy.

And with long boards you can take some fresh powder more easily as well.

If money is an issue, buy a secondhand because there are used, good boards enough here in the classifieds section.

For what about the boots. My right foot is also 26.3 cm. I myself have taken mondo 27.0 because of my high, wide feet. Otherwise I can't get into my boots if I take a mondo 26.0. If you take Deeluxe/Raichle with thermoflex liners in it, you can take the mondo 27.0 with a custommade footbed in it and they will fit you as a glove. You better take bigger boots because smaller boots you can make them wider but not longer!! Don't take the standard liners, they really suck. The thermoflexliner can fit your more easily. Just my experience after having so many different mondo's and boots.

Just my 2 cents.

Greets, Hans.

thank you all very much

I was looking at bomber.com at the demo Prior AWD 174 ... would that board be too big? I am going to school next year in Maine, so I am hoping to ski as much as possible, with a trip out to Colorado with the family at sum point ... so the riding will be everything from ice to snow. Out east its more groomed and skinnier trails, so your responses would lead me to get a 168 tops ... 174 too big? .. the freeride board i own now is an Indie 165 so a 174 would be a pretty big change, yet I know that alpine boards are bought larger than freerides

thanks again

For the board, I never rode any of them but they are highly recommended by everyone. For the size, I would say mid to high 160s. The 174 should be OK, but it might take some getting used to.

For the bindings, Bomber and Catek are both great. The reason you see some Catek Olympic on sale is that they are one generation behind compared to the Olympic Series 2. But they still are great bindings. It's what I have because of the afformentioned reason.

IMO, the binding choice comes down to whether you are a tweak and adjust kind of person, or a set-and-forget person. I'm the latter and the Bombers are perfect for me. I know that I want 6 degree rear and 3 degree front and I'm all set. Its so easy to switch between boards. With Catek, its a bit trickier to reproduce setting exactly when switching boards, and takes a bit more time. Both bindings are bomb-proof and will give you years of great service. Both are backed by great companies.

You used to be able to order two sets of boots from Bomber and return the ones that didn't fit well. I don't know if that's still their policy, but its worth considering. You can do a search and look at all the boot reviews/comparisons. The new Deeluxes are going to have real buckles (finally) which reduces one of the knocks against them. They fit differently than the Heads so your foot shape may determine which way you go.

Welcome. Go read the Carvers Almanac from cover to cover and you'll know more than most people.

I second the option of staying in the 160 range for the board...

Get your boots from here-you can always exchange them if the 26's don't fit. I got my Lemans from here-closeout last year. I was nervous because I normally wear 25.5 in ski boots and didn't want to deal with the hassles of exchanging(I thought) if the 25 were too small. They fit great, though.

TD2 v. Catek-I knew I needed some cant/lift but I didn't know how much. I originally got some Xbones-$99 here-and they work great. I did eventually order some Catek OS2, too, mainly because they are adjustable. I am gradually moving up my angles, hard to do since I live in TX and going to the mtns is more than throwing a few things in the back seat and leaving...

I'd definitely check out eBay for some alpine stuff-you gotta throw in "alpine" to your search parameters or you won't be able to find the good stuff...or you could put a hard setup on your current board and help ease the transition. I found out one shoulder dislocation too late that not all boards can handle the changeover :smashfrea

Intec heels are great and TD/Catek/Xbones work with them. There's nothing like stepping in when the park rats are sitting on their hineys to strap in-and the equipment is TONS better than the soft stepins.

An added bonus not mentioned here-your board foot will never feel like it's about to drop off your leg again on the lift with hard boots

welcome to bomber rwcow. I got my board on ebay and they have some good stuff, as skatha said, Your choice in boards and bindings are defintly better than mine were. Take greatest care when ordering boots. You can actually make boots longer, thats what I had to do to mine. Where in maine are you going to be?

my feet measure 27.5 and I've used a 26/26.5 shell in Raichle, Burton, Head/Blax and Oxygen. Unless your feet are very high/wide you'll proberbly need to downsize. At first the larger shell feels Ok, but they will pack in and get sloppy. Once you have felt the control from the smaller shell, you won't go back. Try new boots on with the most thin socks you have (liner socks). Also 25/25.5 boots often go very cheap (not many small feet out there).

BobD

i'm in boston but i got friends in Bethel and all over there. I know exactly where you'll be. College is awesome! We'll have to ride sometime. Sunday river has plenty of nice wide open trails as does sugarloaf so you're in for some great riding and they have boarder X and USASA events and programs you can get involved in. You're so lucky, you have no idea.

I have some very fond memories of a couple nights spent spent with a hottie that went to Bates

you have picked out top notch gear, cant really get much better except since you gonna be riding in the east I say get a madd 170 it is THE tool for SR until you wanna go with a big gun in which case coilers really shine being so damp

I would say if you see a coiler AM grab it, with a good tune nothing even comes close in the edge hold area other than a Madd but the AM would be much more friendly to a new rider

all you choices are really good boards though with any of those you are at a pretty high point with your gear

if you do buy a coiler make sure it was built for someone close to your weight

also on your way to maine (if you have a chance) stop by Alpine Traders (near Mt. Snow VT) and Starting Gate (Near Stratton) - they both had more than a few boards sitting on the racks at the end of the season...you might get a deal. I bought an Axis (axxes) 172 from starting gate 2 seasons ago from their demo fleet - used like 2 times before I got it, under $500 with a new pair of Cateks attached...

Tex - I will definitely check those stores out, those sound pretty sweet

Gleb - I am totally pumped to be going up there this fall, should be a GREAT time. and we should definitely board, assuming I paint enough houses this summer to pay for all this!!

Guest kennyusmc

One thing i would do is buy your boots from a shop that has a good boot fitter. I wouldn't buy them online, even if you get your boots on sale you have to look at this, the cost of fitting may make the sale price boot more expensive. Ask the guys on here in your area who stocks boots. Take a look at some prices of labor, heat molding , and consider shipping price of the boots. I will list some prices below. Now many store like elite feet in Tahoe offer lifetime fitting on the boot , others like Granite Chief do one season included in the price. Boot fit cn be considered the single most import link... to loose can be dangerous, to tight uncomorftable, and miserable. Just something to consider. Prices from a shop.

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=maintext>Minimum Labor

</TD><TD class=maintext> </TD><TD class=maintext>$30</TD></TR><TR><TD class=maintext>Boot Stretch/Punch

(includes one follow up)</TD><TD class=maintext> </TD><TD class=maintext>$20</TD></TR><TR><TD class=maintext>Shell Grind (pair)</TD><TD class=maintext> </TD><TD class=maintext>$25</TD></TR><TR><TD class=maintext>Heel Wrap (pair)</TD><TD class=maintext> </TD><TD class=maintext>$30</TD></TR><TR><TD class=maintext>Heel Lift Labor</TD><TD class=maintext> </TD><TD class=maintext>$10</TD></TR><TR><TD class=maintext>Buckle Labor Only</TD><TD class=maintext> </TD><TD class=maintext>$12</TD></TR><TR><TD class=maintext>Flex Alteration</TD><TD class=maintext> </TD><TD class=maintext>$30</TD></TR><TR><TD class=maintext>Tongue Modification/Pad</TD><TD class=maintext> </TD><TD class=maintext>$25</TD></TR><TR><TD class=maintext>Refit Mold Liner</TD><TD class=maintext> </TD><TD class=maintext>$40</TD></TR><TR><TD class=maintext>Pro Canting</TD><TD class=maintext> </TD><TD class=maintext>$50</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I agree if you've got hard to fit feet....I did just fine adding molded insoles to my boots only...

The real question would be....how hard was it to fit in ski boots/soft boots?

If you didn't have any problems, you might not need a specialized fitting

what skatha said, also a properly fitted thermoflex liner should do fit your needs unless your foot is strange or your shells are a size too small

that said a well fitted boot with a conventional liner so long as its a high quality liner is hard to beat, IMHO the only good conventional liner that comes with a snowboard hard boot is in the Head boots anyhow, just about everything else I would go with a thermoflex or something similar

Thanks for all your input. I am definitely planning on going witih the thermo flex liners.

I just remeasured my foot (actually had someone else help me this time), and my foot ended up being a 25.8. good thing I had someone help me before buying boots, or I would have bought 26's, a size too big!

One more question (i hope), for a beginner that weighs about 160, which boot should I go for? I've heard the Indy are great boots, but better for people over 180 and/or agressive. From there, does it matter if I go with the Lemans or the Suzuka? Are the suzuka that much better of a boot?

Thanks again