Note to New Members ×

Impending crisis in alpine snowboarding

lowrider

I'm not sure which is more disturbing a Titinal shortage or someone paying $ 4000.00 US for a pair of Northwave boots On one hand good for the seller in receiving that much money for a pair of 20 year old boots.  On the other hand if the general public ever heard it cost someone $ 4000.00 dollars for a pair of snowboarding boots what hope do we have  of increasing interest in our sport ?  Once this news hits the uneducated you better have your boards and boots locked and guarded !

Northwaves have a unique plastic. We think it's nylon filled. It holds up to stiffer springs and doesn't collapse. Also, the ankle joint is higher and the heel feels more seated and secure than other boots. 

To be perfectly honest, I think most of the Northwave magic is psychological. Andi Prommegger rides UPZ. Matt Morison and Michael Lambert rode modified Dalbello ski boots. And they did just fine. But, many Northwave riders feel their careers depend on their boots. I ran into Benjamin Karl in an airport lounge once with his Northwave boots securely over his shoulder. I asked him what he would do if his boots broke. He said he had spare parts. I asked what he would do once he ran out of spares. He said "Retire".

If your livelihood depends on a psychological boost and you have to spend $4k for it, who is to argue? Pro athletes pay much more for sports psychologists. 

No one is suggesting us weekend warriors should go out and spend that much on boots. The Northwave mystique has zero impact on the recreational carving segment. 

• Like 2

Northwave 950s have been priced super-high for years now.  The racers who like them, really really like them and are willing to pay.  The general public has no clue how much they run for.  Do you think people will stop snowboarding in general just because an old Burton auctioned for $33K last year? 

Edited by Neil Gendzwill

I heard a 60's muscle car sold for $3.85 million!  http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Archive/Event/Item/1967-CHEVROLET-CORVETTE-L88-2-DOOR-COUPE-161046  Is there a crisis in the automotive world?  Are people going to think about buying a car and then not when they realize they can cost $3.85 million?!?  

The Northwaves are hyper specialized.  Well, not originally, but they are now because racers love them.  

I am very interested in how the Titanal thing will play out.  I bet that we can still buy carving snowboards in two years.  It maybe different, but I bet it'll still be fun.  

• Like 1

I am very interested in how the Titanal thing will play out.  I bet that we can still buy carving snowboards in two years.  It maybe different, but I bet it'll still be fun.  

Maybe, in 20 years, our Titanal boards will be like Northwave boots. We should start hoarding.

• Like 1

We can start by hording then move on to kidnapping Sean, Bruce,  Sigi,  and gang and cryogenically freezing them to ensure the survival of the sport. ( for those who take think too seriously (PC) the previous comment is intended as a joke) .

Edited by lowrider

Apex Insider But, many Northwave riders feel their careers depend on their boots.

just because of missing/poor riding skill !

Apex Insider Northwaves have a unique plastic. We think it's nylon filled

Yes, Nortwave was allways writing clearly from Nylon if they brougt them to market, except the shell of .350

Apex Insider on a psychological boost

Just wait some more Years and you will see how the psychological boost takes affect! ;-)

All of these Nylon shell (made by Nordica skiboot factory) will crack/break the next years. It feels and looks terrible if a Nordica shell crack, you will get many dozens of smaller and bigger Nylon parts back. You need to walk down the slope to valley with the liners.

And :-( for them who paid $$$$$ for a pair of second hand ones!

If anyone here do watch current WorldCup races you can see riders using NW's holding together by duct tape on heel area but toe area also, inner side and outerside. Why do you think? Read just what I wrote above! On FIS-PAR snowboarding that's professional wintersport gear.

Don't forget, that €350.- NW's have a high foreward shift. Much more than Burton's and Raichle's do have. Foreward shift is as high like you put the half of a thickest F2 Titanium bindings wedge which are designed for to use on backfoot only. NW's foreward shift is a little more than on UPZ and for sure it remains on front boot too. So many riders on Worldcup need to ride with shifting wedges on front binding for to compensate that shift of NW's are not to much forward.

About Titanal boards: they wear out way faster then fiber based boards do (there are snowboard labels here on the Alps with lifetime warranty to the camber). Titanal you can't bend tight and if you do it there remains a fold. Many bendings/fibrations on Titanal will create structural fatigue by time. Also impact (shark-attacks) will let crack any Titanal sheets of your boards. Cracked Titanal boards you aren't able to repair, you have to throw them away.

Edited by snowmatic

Don't worry Neil Gendzwill, bending them on such easy to ride slopes dosn't matter that much. Well flexing Titanal sheets many time they wear out until they crack.

lowrider someone paying $ 4000.00 US for a pair of Northwave boots

that happens only in Russia.

We had last season a seller of a rare .950 yellow-red which get about $3500. Sold to a Russian buyer.

In that actual case ( $4'000 ) the .950 Nortwave boots had been sold from Russia to Russia.