Note to New Members ×

127 MPH

Jack M

Having a speed record for a while as your main claim to fame is one thing.  Having a consistent presence on various podiums is another.  :)  

Agreed. If I have to choose between watching grown blokes standing on a podium versus a guy doing 203 km/h on a snowboard... well I think you'll find it's no contest.

Apex sent out a media page on the subject. 23 m side cut. He broke a 1999 record but with a 15 year difference in technology beating it by a couple of MPH doesn't seem like a huge leap. I have a feeling beating the record has more to do with not messing your pants than anything else !

Well from what I remember they don't really build speed courses for "world record" purposes, if you see what I mean. The not-quite-FIS people design the course to give a reasonable speed, and the race is about relative times on it, not about absolute speed. So maybe it's not so surprising that things haven't changed. Plus most people are riding the same boots we have all been riding for 20 years, and the boards are just big.

Apex sent out a media page on the subject. 23 m side cut. He broke a 1999 record but with a 15 year difference in technology beating it by a couple of MPH doesn't seem like a huge leap. I have a feeling beating the record has more to do with not messing your pants than anything else !

so you're saying instead of measuring the highest speed, they should measure the briefest brown smear?

• 3 months later...

. . . yeah that would probably be a suitable enough measurement for that and most :)

anyway stoked about and thankful to Edmond for that he found time to answer an informal interview request so some comments about his background and last but not least his equipment for the successful world record attempt are online if you just click the orange CARVE ON link at freecarvers.com you get to the weblog posts . . .

Cheers (jack daniel's it is as for me and after a crazy week of taxi driving) and have a good weekend :)

It's amazing how people get a focus to Edmond Plawczyk after his World record on a raceboard.

Even way more people as before he run down his new record (he anounced some great things, taking focus to a FIS-legal record last autumn!)

Well, unfortunately his home speed downhill track was closed for ever the season before.

This was a speed track which was excellent for carving extreme on a slalom board (the ones call it extremecarving), the days after annual XSpeed event. Not every Year, because Sunday of the race week was a backup day in case of bad weather and lifts are closing season that sunday evening. But there had been Years with one week longer lift operation.

Well, track is now down - no more preparation possible. We are on Global warming on the Alps now. Global warming maybe doesn't affect ever to US or other mountains. Glacier there (Edmond Plawczyk local track on the Alps) looses hugh mass of ice. So downhill-track-profile became unusable and dangerous rocks became visible.

In case of this April 2015 new World record on snowboard, we should know that speed record on skis was also broken that day.

There are no informations to get about weather conditions on Speed Masters against earlier Years, or other races.

We had unusual weather conditions that days on the Alps, unusual compared to other Years.

I guess they had been lucky to have some supporting wind falling down the mountain.

Edited by snowmatic