Note to New Members ×

Northwave Point 950 yellow the holy grail of snowboardboots !?

Cyrus the virus

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never rode a pair, would love to know the definitive answer to this. The shell is a 3 piece design very similar to Deeluxe so I'm not sure what the difference is. I asked Jasey Jay at the ECES last winter and he said "They just got it right. They just work great." *shrug*

However I'm afraid falling in love with a pair would be like falling in love with an original Madd 158. Two things which will never be built again.

Had them, sold them. The tongue became as hard as steel when the cold gets in. Solved that with a softer Raichle tongue. Would bought them again if: the boots were made of other plastics and with a stepin possibility. The fit of these boots: I had to lower the base for my high arch, then the fit was good. I know have UPZ RC10 VIRUS boots since two weeks. Love the short solelength, the versatile springmechnism in the back of this boot, the micro adjustable buckles and the powerstrap.

• 1 month later...
The secrets around the Northwave point 950 but are still a big thing in the racers scene!

I stored mine.... which I never loved!!! I prefered always the Burton Furnace to the Northwave!

I now use Virus UPZ boots and I´m very happy the last few years!

Let me know what you think about that boot!:lurk:

Hey, I want them!!! Let me know where you are!!

Never rode a pair, would love to know the definitive answer to this. The shell is a 3 piece design very similar to Deeluxe so I'm not sure what the difference is. I asked Jasey Jay at the ECES last winter and he said "They just got it right. They just work great." *shrug*

However I'm afraid falling in love with a pair would be like falling in love with an original Madd 158. Two things which will never be built again.

I had the chance to meet several top level athletes (world cup winners) and asked the same question - What about those boots? - Without exception the answer was generality along "not clear" but the "fell is OK gibberish" without any understandable specific details like stiffness mechanics etc. Almost all of them had some sort of Frankenstein modification or repair work done on the boots - all stated that they would kill for a new pair.

So maybe will newer know the answer to this.

Everything is different, plastic, shape, buckles, footprint, highness of the cuff.

Once I've got one .900 I'll never let them go.

My feet are not going around anymore in my boots.

I think. They act.

I close the buckles in the morning and release when I get back to my car, not even in the chalet I' have the necessity of opening them up.

Those boots were blessed by ancient monks in the Himalayas...

But really I have asked some friends on the World Cup about them, the answers: "well they are yellow, and they last longer than anything else." "They don't break every season". "They are faster". So not really clear they are just magic

By the way if you want to get rid of those boots I will take them off your hands (feet) for a good price :). What size are they?

Edited by NSSage

But really I have asked some friends on the World Cup about them, the answers: "well they are yellow, and they last longer than anything else." "They don't break every season". "They are faster". So not really clear they are just magic

Translation: "I have no idea, but the guys on the podium have them, so..."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wonder if the obsession with the Northwave .950 (and .900, I suppose) is a European thing? I don't think anyone on the Canadian team rides Northwaves, but maybe Seb can shed some light on that. Jasey took the gold on modified Indys, while Morison and Lambert both ride Kryptons. Lambert ran Full Tilts for a while, which I believe is what Michael Trapp (American) rides. I think Jasey is on something new now... Can anybody identify?

post-2456-14184240528_thumb.jpg

Nordica Fire Arrow F1:

Shell design similar to Dalbello cabrio with just 3 buckles and only 1 on the cuff. Ankle/heel hold down at 45 degrees and attached to shell only, not the cuff so no alteration as the cuff flexes forwards. Adjustable cuff flex mechanism. Cuff hinge is relatively high.

Strangely enough those first 3 features are what I achieved with my mods to my Head Stratos Pros. Maybe I wasn't crazy after all.

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?39237-Serious-mods-to-the-Head-Stratos-Pro&p=392580#post392580

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/54657654" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="

">Head Stratos Pro Mods</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/alanmckenzie">Alan McKenzie</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p> Edited by SunSurfer
additional content

Cheers, Kieran, much appreciated!

Now I would like to know everything about this boot and what makes it so great for snowboarding. :D

It has a 3-piece shell, same as Deeluxe, UPZ, Northwave, Dalbello Krypton, Full Tilt, etc. This means it has a lower, an upper, and a tongue. This allows for a buckle right on your ankle that goes diagonally right over your instep, for better heel hold and better flex characteristics.

Hi Jack

I have the softer grey/blue .900's, not the stiffer .950's. Below are a few thoughts that I hope may help a bit with understand the legend-myth of the NW boots.

For many Northwave owners these boots are a gift from the snowboard Gods whose design was ahead of its time. For others they are over rated, out dated and not that big of a deal. As is often the case, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle of these two points of view.

I have been riding Northwave .900 for around 10 years. My experience as a recreational weekend rider and the many recent posts about them has me inspired to spout off a few highly biased snowboard opinions.

As a frame of reference I became a hardbooter, in cheap rear entry ski boots in, 1989. Soon after I moved to Raichle 121 mountaineering boots, next was Raichle 224 and 325's and am currently using Northwave .900. The boots listed are the basis of my highly biased opinions; please take them with a grain of salt!

Of the 5 pairs of hard boots I have used over the past many years my Northwaves are, for me, the best boots I have ever owned.

The question is Why? More biased opinions.

NorthWave Spring System:

IMHO the NW spring systems design, that is a simple, light, adjustable for both lean and flex and strong, was years ahead of its time.

The Northwave Shell:

After examining and using the NW boot, IMHO, the shell of the NW boot was designed with two goals in mind.

1) The shell has been designed to fully and completely support the stresses and pressures that are applied to the shell via the spring system. (The very stiff, and thick in certain areas, plastic shell does not deform/buckle/bulge when the spring system is putting huge forces on it; the stiff, thick plastic supports and protect the ankle).

2) To allow the ankle to move as freely and naturally as possible, deep knee bend motion not laterally, this is a key point. (The pivot mechanism and the plastic around it are both very strong and allow the upper and lower shell to move very freely without binding. When the spring is taken off the boot and the liner removed, it is amazing how easily the boot pivots.)

NWs, the Ride:

When wearing/riding the NW boot, plastic shell portion of the boot feels like a perfectly formed rock hard cast that is really, really stiff and hard. When riding and receiving a hard ankle jarring impact, your ankle and the rider has a protected, supported and safe feeling. The spring system and the supporting plastic seem to protect your ankle even if the impact is so hard that the spring bottoms out. At the same time you are feeling protected, you also still have the feeling of being able bend your ankles freely.

Northwave, a few Cons

If I was throwing in my 2 cents on how the NW boots could be improved during a redesign, I would change a few things:

1) Make the foot bed as low as possible. I don't think that the base of the foot needs as high off of the board as it is. The use of an Apex type race plate these days makes stack height a concern, so make the boot as low as possible.

2) Plastic that is not affected by temperature. When very cold the NW tongue can get very stiff, restricting ankle movement.

3) Ramp Angle. I am not sure what to call this? I am also not sure whether more or less ramp angle is the way to go. That said, the NW boot has a lot of heel lift built into the boot.

4) Step In Compatible. The marriage of NorthWave boots and TD Sidewinder Step Ins would be a magic combination. IMHO if the boot controls PRIMARILY the forward flex and the binding controls PRIMARILY the lateral flex, boot-binding Nirvana might be found:1luvu:

5) Stronger buckles as they do break. Many guys have only so many parts and they keep milking their boots along with their bone yard of scraps.

I think that the Northwave boots do deserve a lot of recognition as a great boot that was ahead of its time, can all those racers just be wrong? They are not perfect and the original design needs a re-design. Until something else comes along, I am very happy and lucky to have 2 pairs that will probably see me out.

Cheers

Rob

Edited by RCrobar

If I was throwing in my 2 cents on how the NW boots could be improved during a redesign, I would change a few things:

1) Make the foot bed as low as possible. I don't think that the base of the foot needs as high off of the board as it is. The use of an Apex type race plate these days makes stack height a concern, so make the boot as low as possible.

2) Plastic that is not affected by temperature. When very cold the NW tongue can get very stiff, restricting ankle movement.

3) Ramp Angle. I am not sure what to call this? I am also not sure whether more or less ramp angle is the way to go. That said, the NW boot has a lot of heel lift built into the boot.

4) Step In Compatible. The marriage of NorthWave boots and TD Sidewinder Step Ins would be a magic combination. IMHO if the boot controls PRIMARILY the forward flex and the binding controls PRIMARILY the lateral flex, boot-binding Nirvana might be found:1luvu:

5) Stronger buckles as they do break. Many guys have only so many parts and they keep milking their boots along with their bone yard of scraps.

I think that the Northwave boots do deserve a lot of recognition as a great boot that was ahead of its time, can all those racers just be wrong? They are not perfect and the original design needs a re-design. Until something else comes along, I am very happy and lucky to have 2 pairs that will probably see me out.

Cheers

Rob

Will do!

It seems it does not need to be yellow to win races:

.900 does the trick too

FIS race was won this week end using the low end .900

https://www.focus.de/sport/wintersport/snowboard-bergmann-gewinnt-weltcup-rennen-und-loest-ticket-fuer-sotschi_id_3529838.html

.350 are the low end ones, and the work great too. They don't have the spring mechanism but you cal easly add one , the ACCS from Arnaud of the Swoard forum or the Rabanser one sold by 19.94 bindings

There is a rental shop in Cortina D'Ampezzo that has a lot of .350 and they are very happy to sell them. I've bought mine for 70 euro

I wonder if the obsession with the Northwave .950 (and .900, I suppose) is a European thing? I don't think anyone on the Canadian team rides Northwaves, but maybe Seb can shed some light on that. Jasey took the gold on modified Indys, while Morison and Lambert both ride Kryptons. Lambert ran Full Tilts for a while, which I believe is what Michael Trapp (American) rides. I think Jasey is on something new now... Can anybody identify?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37048[/ATTACH]

These are Nordicas. A lot of the American/Steamboat guys are on NWs. I think I saw that Morison is back on UPZs this season, too