Jump to content
lonbordin

What bindings and boots are being used in high level BX competitions today?

Recommended Posts

From the pictures it looks like nearly everyone is using Driver X boots...

I can't tell what bindings...

Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Japan I saw Nidecker Carbon on a lot of Oxess BX boards.

I remember Henry saying that Drake Podium FF are used a lot, but I didn't see any of the BX racer using those here. That doesn't mean there aren't any, of course.

But it might be a thing to just go with what Pierre Voultier won gold at Pyeongchang on and use the Nidecker Carbons.

A lot of the softboot carving guys in Japan are on Flows.

That's pretty much all I can contribute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2019 at 4:56 PM, daveo said:

A lot of the softboot carving guys in Japan are on Flows.

Those guys are weird, riding 45 30 and wrecking the back knee, lots of beginners also believe in a big stand width, big splay, and stiffest board and binding they can find, but nothing on the stiffness of the boot...... COME ON

Like, I talk to softie carvers in China about Driver X and they're like HUH????????

With BX Setup I would imagine stiff binding, stiff boots and low angles are priority rather than an Alpine setup, which is just not as powerful or ergonomic pushing out with the backfoot.

So Driver X and a carbon binding makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@pauleleven you sure about the boots thing? Haha. My Japanese mate rides a gray desperado type r wide ti 166 lol and his wife a soul 159. Another girl I know rides an F2 elim carbon 158. He weighs 75kg, F2 rider is 45kg, SG rider is a shade under 50kg.

He has driver x with powerride stiffeners inside (click the link), a g style hyper hold strap set and booster around the outside of the top of the boot. 

She has the same but Burton Supreme boot, softer powerride and softer booster. Other girl has similar boot set up. 

He uses flow bindings atop of Bomber power plates, she uses unicant. 

I guess that's how they get away with those angles.....

Btw, driver x wasn't even in the Burton store in Shibuya. 

Edited by daveo
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, daveo said:

He uses flow bindings atop of Bomber power plates, she uses unicant. 

I guess that's how they get away with those angles.....

No one in China knows about the importance of canting, they just luckily have bindings (flow, union) that have built-in cants. Also, no one knows about Driver-X........ it's sad, watching people ruining their knees

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, pauleleven said:

No one in China knows about the importance of canting, they just luckily have bindings (flow, union) that have built-in cants. Also, no one knows about Driver-X........ it's sad, watching people ruining their knees

The popularity of Chinese carving snowboard equipment depends on marketing, so that few people think deeply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Caswell said:

I have heard that the best snowboard bindings for boardercross is catek fr2 evo pro?

Except, you are literally the only one with that binding.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Caswell said:

I have heard that the best snowboard bindings for boardercross is catek fr2 evo pro?

What do you do for spare parts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Caswell said:

I have heard that the best snowboard bindings for boardercross is catek fr2 evo pro?

Funny... All the comps I've watched I've never seen that binding on display... Not once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FIS Baqueira, Spain - take your pick of various manufacturers, models and with/without  Palmer/Geckos.

Seems personal preference is order of the day. 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, lonbordin said:

Funny... All the comps I've watched I've never seen that binding on display... Not once.

Not sure @Caswell was being entirely serious. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, lonbordin said:

Funny... All the comps I've watched I've never seen that binding on display... Not once.

 

7 hours ago, daveo said:

Not sure @Caswell was being entirely serious. 🙂

Hahaha This is a joke.
Catek fr2  is an innovation for softboot bindings, but it is already dead.😁

16 hours ago, pauleleven said:

Except, you are literally the only one with that binding.

Someone is selling it in the forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Caswell said:

 

Hahaha This is a joke.
Catek fr2  is an innovation for softboot bindings, but it is already dead.😁

Someone is selling it in the forum.

I literally saw like 5 guys using them in the recent snowboardcross race though... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2019 at 3:29 PM, daveo said:

He has driver x with powerride stiffeners inside (click the link), a g style hyper hold strap set and booster around the outside of the top of the boot. 

Ahaha, long time ago when I still somewhat could tolerate soft boots for few hours, and snow school still insisted I used them, I used to stuff plastic tongues from Raichle hard boots between the laces and liner of the DriverX, with a power strap on top of that. Sometimes I used the front power strap around the high back too, sort of like a third strap! Also, I had changed the laces to thin Kevlar rope 💪 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2019 at 5:56 PM, pauleleven said:

it's sad, watching people ruining their knees

Why do you keep repeating this? Any data, video or at least pic examples? 
I don't see why one would be ruining the knees, if the stance was set properly for rider's body geometry and the technique used... 
I was always my feet and ankles that were hurting with softies, not the knees. But I do have weak ankles, so it's just anecdotal... Or should I say "ankledotal"? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2019 at 12:29 AM, daveo said:

He has driver x with powerride stiffeners inside (click the link), a g style hyper hold strap set and booster around the outside of the top of the boot. 

 

35 minutes ago, BlueB said:

Ahaha, long time ago when I still somewhat could tolerate soft boots for few hours, and snow school still insisted I used them, I used to stuff plastic tongues from Raichle hard boots between the laces and liner of the DriverX, with a power strap on top of that. Sometimes I used the front power strap around the high back too, sort of like a third strap! Also, I had changed the laces to thin Kevlar rope 💪 

No SnowboardCross racer here, but hardbooter and also softboot freecarver.

What I use :  Driver X and Catek FR2 pro.

Old Burton RAF inserts work well for tongue stiffening (Powerride-like). 2017-18-19 models don't allow those inserts to sit well on the tongue. Here's what I did (riveting them) on my old Drivers, that I will also do on my '19 ones once they soften too much.

1251255916_DSC02438COMP.jpg.610c92986867c5b0f35f95478fecf563.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BlueB said:

Why do you keep repeating this? Any data, video or at least pic examples? 
I don't see why one would be ruining the knees, if the stance was set properly for rider's body geometry and the technique used... 

That is very very true, until you do this

Screenshot_20190304-022224__01.jpg.574199d5707a054f278309c8129821ec.jpg

Some idiots teach this, deliberately bringing in the knees, which wrecks havoc because it is not on the same plane as the ankle and knee.

The amount of information regarding setup is... Scarse and in many cases inaccurate, people are set up to fail.

Screenshot_20190127-183146.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of those pics are horrible,  some ok... I'll just stick to first two.

The blue jacket demonstrates really bad technigue. I thougt that knees-in technique was gone with the days of PJ... We have not enough clues to conclude if the setup is wrong, for that person's body structure, even less if she's hurting or not. All I know is that I'd be teaching her something else. 

The khaki pants looks like advanced agressive rider. The shot angle is wrong, but he's possibly driving both knees into direction of the turn, and that's ok approach for forward stance heel side turn. However, if that was me in the pic, my rear ankle would be hurting, for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BlueB said:

Some of those pics are horrible,  some ok... I'll just stick to first two.

The blue jacket demonstrates really bad technigue. I thougt that knees-in technique was gone with the days of PJ... We have not enough clues to conclude if the setup is wrong, for that person's body structure, even less if she's hurting or not. All I know is that I'd be teaching her something else. 

The khaki pants looks like advanced agressive rider. The shot angle is wrong, but he's possibly driving both knees into direction of the turn, and that's ok approach for forward stance heel side turn. However, if that was me in the pic, my rear ankle would be hurting, for sure. 

Didn't see included my photos too...

I'm khaki pants, last year on softboot I definitely brought my knee in quite a bit, not great. This year going race technique and hardboot, more powerful now.

So this knee in thing, the riders are immitation older Alpine styles, but old Alpine styles had hardboot to support the knee..... In any case, most people who ride like this on softboot a have bad heelsides, because there is no support for the back cutting point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When i rode softboots i forced the knee inwards on heelsides. It was the way i found out worked to get the hip over the board for heelsides with the low angles. Never felt any problem with the knees. More that the gear i was using was inadequate. Might not have been correct but it was before youtube etc. and worked.

Edited by Calle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Calling all cars, "Active threadjack in progress."  "Suspects are armed with information about weird softboot angles and stance widths."  "Considered EXTREMELY dangerous." 

"Continue to be on the lookout for the missing information on bindings worn by high level BX racers."

Edited by lonbordin
Get your own thread you scofflaws.
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BlueB said:

Some of those pics are horrible,  some ok... I'll just stick to first two.

The blue jacket demonstrates really bad technigue. I thougt that knees-in technique was gone with the days of PJ... We have not enough clues to conclude if the setup is wrong, for that person's body structure, even less if she's hurting or not. All I know is that I'd be teaching her something else. 

The khaki pants looks like advanced agressive rider. The shot angle is wrong, but he's possibly driving both knees into direction of the turn, and that's ok approach for forward stance heel side turn. However, if that was me in the pic, my rear ankle would be hurting, for sure. 

Come to think of it, lot of Asians seem to have a knock-kneed body structure, actually. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...