Note to New Members ×

Any Nastar racers here?

Dw3

8 hours ago, Dw3 said:

Just curious, looking for tips on running ski gates, that’s what they have so I’m doing my best.

Pad up. Forearm protection. Shin protection. Engage gate with forearm. It often will rebound and hit you in the back of the helmet... Speaking of that... Full face is a good idea.

Turn early, finish turn by gate. Focus 2 gates ahead.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the tips. I’m with a club and the racing ended up being on the nastar course which was really icy and super steep... there was only one division (ski) but I raced on the Kessler. I was the only snowboarder, and it was a timed race with no help with handicap times for a snowboarder.... got second place.

Edited by Dw3
  • Like 4

I used to race and pace set NASTAR back in the day, and the best tip I can suggest for running a skier's course is to enter and complete the turn early, as most rec skiers tend to complete their turns late, causing ruts in the belly of the line that are tough for a boarder to get out of.  On skis I could always "step up" the fall line if I got trapped in the rut, but no such luck on a board. The downside of a high, early line as others have said is that you make contact with the gates more often.  I can hurt and it does slow you down.  Triangle panel gates make a big difference, but not all areas use them.  

3 hours ago, Keenan said:

DW - you should learn to ski so you can take 1st and 2nd.  

So the club I raced with only allows 1 entry per person, my wife is a great skier and is becoming a very proficient boarder but they only allowed her to enter for ski.

• 2 weeks later...

IF your NASTAR course sets dual lanes, ask them to consider setting one course with stubbies.  NASTAR provides them for their version of slalom and they work great for boarders.  On most Sundays at Okemo, I'll set the left course with ski gates and the right course with stubbies for boarders.  Skiers (especially those new to racing) can also run the stubbies on skis.++

stubbies.jpg

• Like 4

In softer snow, I take the opposite approach of the skiers and try to carve semicircles well outside the gates so as to avoid hitting the gates or getting in the ruts.  In harder conditions there are no ruts to speak of so I can run straighter lines but I still hate hitting the gates.  Body armor is a no-go for me.  I take enough shit to the hill as it is.

5 hours ago, darko714 said:

In softer snow, I take the opposite approach of the skiers and try to carve semicircles well outside the gates so as to avoid hitting the gates or getting in the ruts.  In harder conditions there are no ruts to speak of so I can run straighter lines but I still hate hitting the gates.  Body armor is a no-go for me.  I take enough shit to the hill as it is.

In softer snow I don't race and really recommend that others opt out in soft conditions.  The chance for injury is very high.

If you're not willing to engage the gates you will not be taking the fastest line.  It's fine to carve the course just know this isn't the way to the fastest run. 

There's an ex-racer on this board who's signature said Shin to win and he's 100% correct.

Edited by lonbordin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lonbordin said:

In softer snow I don't race and really recommend that others opt out in soft conditions.  The chance for injury is very high.

If you're not willing to engage the gates you will not be taking the fastest line.  It's fine to carve the course just know this isn't the way to the fastest run. 

There's an old ex-racer on this board who's signature said Shin to win and he's 100% correct.

I know you're right . . . but I'm getting old (62), and not all that fast - usually around 50 handicap.  I came late to the game (age 50) so almost all my racing has been on NASTAR courses.  No doubt I've adopted some bad habits.

Keep in mind that my worst racing injury was the result of my face making contact with a ski gate when the board locked into a rut on heelside and shot me into it before I could get my forearm up.  (Yup, it was soft conditions).

Still, on those days I've gotten low 40s handicaps by transitioning high, carving wide, and keeping momentum.

Sorry if this is another dumb question, but being new to racing I have no idea. After reading how a USASA GS or slalom course are supposed to be set up (distances to poles, length etc) how is a nastar course setup?

more similar to one or the other? 

Edited by Dw3

1 hour ago, Dw3 said:

Sorry if this is another dumb question, but being new to racing I have no idea. After reading how a USASA GS or slalom course are supposed to be set up (distances to poles, length etc) how is a nastar course setup?

more similar to one or the other? 

https://www.nastar.com/what-a-course-looks-like

I've been attending the NASTAR Nationals since 2004 and the Eastern Opens/Regionals every year but the first at Sunday River. At the Eastern Regional Championships at Windham Mountain on Sunday I hit a milestone with a total accumulation of 50 medals (30 from Regionals and 20 from Nationals). Team and slalom events were included. There's definitely an advantage to competing as both a skier and boarder (and being old)!

medals.jpg