Note to New Members ×

Goldie Oldie to other goldie oldies here

LeeW

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2018 at 12:18 PM, Dan said:

IDK about "getting old", I feel like I "got" old! Shoutout to LeeW, Tex1230 and Sinecure, where you guys been?

Hey man... ah, just working my ass off at Coors factory these days. At least, it's able to help me get this awesome diesel shooter: BMW 335d. ? 

I realize my alpine board is collecting dust so I might sweep it off and gun it in bimmer and ride the madd 159 "the pimp" for a round or two this coming winter up on megametropolis ski resorts on i-70. What about you, Dan?

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/9/2018 at 11:18 AM, LeeW said:

Hey man... ah, just working my ass off at Coors factory these days. At least, it's able to help me get this awesome diesel shooter: BMW 335d. ? 

I realize my alpine board is collecting dust so I might sweep it off and gun it in bimmer and ride the madd 159 "the pimp" for a round or two this coming winter up on megametropolis ski resorts on i-70. What about you, Dan?

Hey Lee! Sorry, I missed your post when you made it. That BMW looks like a sweet ride -- my wife and I aren't looking at anything quite that cool, but we are talking about trading in our Outback on a Tacoma for better camping access on Forest Service roads. 

As far as snowboarding, I failed to work through my 10-pass at Mt. Hood Meadows last season (sigh), so I think I'm going to skip the 10-pass this year, buy a spring pass, and do more trips and some skinning in the winter. I still love riding and my new Thirst board (first custom board I've ever bought new) is a blast, but the 90-minute drive to Mt. Hood (and the long waits for good carving days here) has gotten pretty old. 

1 hour ago, Dan said:

Hey Lee! Sorry, I missed your post when you made it. That BMW looks like a sweet ride -- my wife and I aren't looking at anything quite that cool, but we are talking about trading in our Outback on a Tacoma for better camping access on Forest Service roads. 

As far as snowboarding, I failed to work through my 10-pass at Mt. Hood Meadows last season (sigh), so I think I'm going to skip the 10-pass this year, buy a spring pass, and do more trips and some skinning in the winter. I still love riding and my new Thirst board (first custom board I've ever bought new) is a blast, but the 90-minute drive to Mt. Hood (and the long waits for good carving days here) has gotten pretty old. 

Hmm. I got a '99 Tacoma PreRunner and that thing is still an animal! Beaten up pretty good, cosmetically. otherwise, works just fine and dandy. from what i can recall, 95-2004-ish tacoma has been consistent with reliability with owner satisfaction (source is Consumer Reports which I swear by for good number of years). 

Good luck, buddy.

Meadows/T-Line/bowl sucks ass when it coems to driving on that death highway. Have you considered moving to g'ovy or is something else holding you in pdx-town?

On 10/9/2018 at 11:59 AM, LeeW said:

Hmm. I got a '99 Tacoma PreRunner and that thing is still an animal! Beaten up pretty good, cosmetically. otherwise, works just fine and dandy. from what i can recall, 95-2004-ish tacoma has been consistent with reliability with owner satisfaction (source is Consumer Reports which I swear by for good number of years). 

Good luck, buddy.

Meadows/T-Line/bowl sucks ass when it coems to driving on that death highway. Have you considered moving to g'ovy or is something else holding you in pdx-town?

Nice - we are lusting after a Tacoma with one of these light 'n' fast campers on top: https://gofastcampers.com/pages/camper-landing. We'll get there. Funny thing is my wife is even more eager than me and wants to know our timeline for making it happen -- just a little hard to convince myself to trade in a 2013 Outback that we bought new for a used truck with 100k more miles.

Govy is close to skiing, but pretty limited other ways - no grocery store for example. I'd love to move to Hood River or somewhere else in the Hood River Valley, but for now work and family commitments are keeping me in Portland. Housing around Hood River is $$$ anyway so it's hard in that respect.

11 hours ago, Dan said:

Nice - we are lusting after a Tacoma with one of these light 'n' fast campers on top: https://gofastcampers.com/pages/camper-landing. We'll get there. Funny thing is my wife is even more eager than me and wants to know our timeline for making it happen -- just a little hard to convince myself to trade in a 2013 Outback that we bought new for a used truck with 100k more miles.

Govy is close to skiing, but pretty limited other ways - no grocery store for example. I'd love to move to Hood River or somewhere else in the Hood River Valley, but for now work and family commitments are keeping me in Portland. Housing around Hood River is $$$ anyway so it's hard in that respect.

Very nice campers, there, man. Nothing beats simplicity. 

Unfortunately for me, I'm a bit of a complicated man. Those are the vehicles I'm pursuing to get... one of them is next to impossible to execute - The Hilux:

https://autowise.com/2019-toyota-diesel-hilux-u-s-market/

https://hiconsumption.com/2017/04/toyota-hilux-expedition-v1-camper/

but ulimately, this is the one I wanted the most:

https://sportsmobile.com/conversion-type/bikes/

I wish you the best for a hunt for Toyota Tacoma for far more less mileage. I flew out of CO to Louisana to get the 2010 BMW 335d just because it had 59K miles on it. So I'm more inclined to fly out to locations of where low mileages are and drive 'em back to CO. So, maybe give that avenue a try? Of course, I did feel a bit of an anxiety if the car wasn't what I envision when I was at the dealership to pick up the Bimmer. 

Now, onwards to my old stomp ground: Govy. Yes, it's great for going to work at T-Line as well as getting some powders at Ski Bowl and Meadows. Otherwise, it simply sucks. I tend to drive down to Gresham for Food4Less (is it still there?) and Sandy for gas (that town is the last time I've seen 99 cents a gal way back in 1999 and never seen any gases that low all over the States). Arco, I think. 

Which suburbs of Portland if you don't mind me asking?

I miss visiting Estacada to play at McIver or another place near by for a round of disc golfing as well as fishing further up the road -- Lake Harriett, I think it was called? I just pouring the map of that area. Boy, do I miss my times of living at Govy. Oh, that goes without saying I miss Burnside skatepark as well as other skateparks (Newberg or Lincoln City, I can't remember). 

Hell Lee, I didn't know you spent that much time around here! Are you from Portland? I grew up in Beaverton and live in Richmond (SE Portland) now, my sister has been in and out of town, but back in Beaverton for 10+ years, and my folks are in Camas. I was just starting to get into alpine in the 2000/2001 season, riding at Meadows (on a Sinner with maximum stance width around 17" lol), were you still around town then? 

Both of those campers are sweet - love that Hilux kitted out for expeditions. Good thought on the traveling for better prices - when we're ready to pull the trigger, I'll look around other states - Tacomas are definitely hot here. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes, sir, I did live in Govy from 1998 to 2001. It was great while it last. I wasn't into alpine. I was into freestyle and I mostly rode MLYs and M3 (before it got bought out by somebody in China) when the factory was in Troutdale. Good many moons ago, indeed. 

Dan - for some reason your avatar migrated its way into my family photos like 6 cell phones ago which could be 10 - 18 years ago. Probably during some botched data transfer on my part. My wife asked me years ago "who's that?" I didn't have an answer.  She already thinks I'm a weirdo so whatever. 

22 hours ago, Erik J said:

Dan - for some reason your avatar migrated its way into my family photos like 6 cell phones ago which could be 10 - 18 years ago. Probably during some botched data transfer on my part. My wife asked me years ago "who's that?" I didn't have an answer.  She already thinks I'm a weirdo so whatever. 

Ha! Just tell your wife I'm a voodoo priest you met on a snowboard trip, that should clear things up. Might make it hard to get away for future trips though. 

That was Halloween 2001, I believe. I don't even have the original photo anymore, it might have been taken with a film camera... Happy to be part of your family lore ;-)