Note to New Members ×

Hard boots - not only for carving!

BlueB

1 hour ago, C5 Golfer said:

Boris... at 70 yr old now the only time my board is in the air is when I am on the lift.

Al

Hi Al, long time no see! 

Don't worry, I'm not turning into a full time jib-monkey. I spent solid 5 hours riding steep softish moguls today :) 

16 hours ago, BlueB said:

Hi Al, long time no see! 

Don't worry, I'm not turning into a full time jib-monkey. I spent solid 5 hours riding steep softish moguls today :) 

Hi back -- Was in Whistler last week on Blackcomb... the snow was great and since it was very cold everyone was in the Rendezvous or Glacier Creek.  had the lifts and runs to myself.

cya sometime!

Al

Today at Sunapee, I got on the lift with a Snowboard Instructor, while on a Volkl Cross, running Ibex plates, angles of 42F, 27R. After the usual inquisitive conversation about hardboots vs. softboots, we got to the top of the hill. I clipped in, while he was still getting to the bench (one of my better contributions to Snowboarding?) to sit+strap in.  In doing so, I ended up going fakie, so, I carved it up a bit, then tossed in a blind-side tail-roll to get back to the "correct" foot leading, then got some railing turns in (both hands on snow), before popping up and frontside nose-rolling and carving it up fakie again. I pulled off the side, and this guy had a big grin on his face, and wasn't all that far behind by then. He slid up by me, and commented " I had no Idea that could be done in hardboots!! Awesome! "  I pointed out to him that the sister mountain to Sunapee, Okemo, has boards, boots, and bindings for demo/sale. I have the feeling he'll be taking a 'sick day' soon to check out the Doneks over there! We both, btw, parted ways after saying to each other "Nice Turns!"... 

I did a "cut+paste" to put this diatribe into the correct category, all apologies to the Moderators...:confused:

Today, I finally passed that one remaining exam, so I'm officially a level 3 instructor. :) 14889523962290.jpg.1244798921270234cbc9eb72d0ba30e6.jpg

It was a huge pow day, which made it even sweeter. Park was "interesting" though... Most of participants said that watching the h/boots perform in all sorts of situations changed their perception of snowboarding! 

• Like 5

As an Instructor, I took my Lvl-2 PSIA, Dev-Team try-out, and both Lvl-3's on hardboots (although, I used soft boots as well, and, often, more than 3 boards; I figured Versatility mattered; I was Dead Wrong in that) ,  so, I'm impressed to see this!! My kvetch is this, though.. Those are Ski Boots (Ahem, not that I haven't used as much!).  Still, nice to see, especially in this day and age!  I had one examiner (and, please, don't go opening this up by 'searching'..It is resolved, imho, but, does echo the ideal of the day) tell me I wasn't, in a PSIA/Snowboard Exam, "skiing on my board correctly", whereupon, my reply, at the bar after, was along the the lines of "I don't Skateboard like I Rollerblade, either". In the case of my L-3 at Killington, I had a guy from Okemo be the 'fail' Examiner; I had recently broke a rib [vice-grips in an interior pocket/slip on a 1/4 pipe handplant, about a week prior], and  told him 'if I flinch, in the upper torso, it's that injury', his reply was, in the Exam, "Bumps, Switch, Brammer, you're up 1st".. Yeah, you'll have that..

Congrats on the Win!!! :cool:

17 hours ago, Eric Brammer aka PSR said:

My kvetch is this, though.. Those are Ski Boots 

Congrats on the Win!!! :cool:

Seriously?! :eek: 

Thanks, man! 

And back to topic, I did my 1st 360 on Tanker 192, today! 20' jump. No video, though... 

11 minutes ago, BlueB said:

Thanks, man! 

And back to topic, I did my 1st 360 on Tanker 192, today! 20' jump. No video, though...

That's great, and risky in that there's no 'buttering through' if your rotation is off! The kids on short rockered/beveled-edge board can just 'slide' the last bit of rotation, but a 192, you gotta be 'on it'. Tankers are so fun to spin, though! I had one of my freestyling students watch me toss a 25' blindside 360, some 12 years ago, and he described it as "watching someone ride a helicopter blade off of the jump". That stuck with me as a great visual...

As for the boots, I don't care what you ride on, if it WORKS for you. But, my comment was more in line with using the Exam as a learning experience for the Instructors around you who may not know of, or understand, SnowBoard specific Hardshells. So, in no way a 'slam' in what you're riding on! I hope the feedback amongst your peers was also very positive. So, again, Congrats!!

6 hours ago, Aracan said:

The boots the bearded gentleman is wearing? I could have sworn those are Blax Toni snowboard hardboots.

They are actually Dalbello CRX / CarveX, exactly the same shell as Blax, or Head Stratos. The difference would be the DIN sole on my boots, vs. snowboard sole on Blax or Head. I don't know if the plastic, or sideways flex is stiffer... 

dalbello-crx-custom-fusion-ski-boots_1_8

It's the best boot compromise for my needs, flex preference and foot shape. Very adjustable too! 
My previous pair I modified to take the BTS, but eventually I found out that I don't need it. I'm better of with instantaneous accessibility to 3 different flexes via the Walk/Carve/Ski switch and easy fwd lean adjustment. 
They are discontinued, but I have another yellow pair in my stash. Mind you, my buddy bought a pair of Dalbello PanTerra, apparently developed from the CRX and improved with semi-AT sole! He is raving about them. 

boot-panterra100blk-17.png?5007d63

Over the last 10+ years, I've been on the CarveX, with only a short stray to Garmont Shogun AT boots. Those were better for freeriding (and walking), but not as good for carving or jumping spins?! However, I broke them in less then 4 months of riding, so back to my old trusty Dalbellos... 

Edited by BlueB
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, lordmetroland said:

Sweet baby Jesus, the steeeeeeeeeze! Can I get a witness from the congregation?!?!?

But, but, that isn't even a "cross rocket" Grab?! And while a "method', it won't get ya into Church. You have to at the least get it to a "Palmer" before you can kneel at the Gate!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I wanted to be at Waterville's pond-Skim event on my 200cm Tanker, on plates this season. Couldn't do it, because in mid-January, my Saab 5-door got wrecked, and the 9-3 Conv. , I had found (with friend's help) didn't allow for a 200 cm deck. I might've made it? Who knows!?  Maybe next year...

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...