Note to New Members ×

3 more deaths at Mammoth

gdboytyler

I just got some second hand news that 3 ski patrollers died at Mammoth today while trying to clear out the volcanic vent by Chair #3. Two of the patrollers fell in, then a third went in to try the save the first 2 and he might have been overcome by the volcanic fumes.

It has been a deadly season at Mammoth.

It was on our news up here in the Central Valley.

Couldn't find much online about it:

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-040606ski_lat,0,7636537.story%3Fcoll%3Dla-home-headlines&e=10478&sa=X&oi=news&ct=result&cd=1

It doesn't seem that there was anyone at fault from the inital reports, just a sad event. All the same, its a reminder that mother nature is not always hospitable. Won't change our need to ride on the edge, but it does remind us that respect is due. Sobering.

but it's not like people in Mammoth don't know that they are living on top of one of the earth's most violent volcanos in history. I heard they found peices of Mammoth in like Nebraska. I think only Yellowsone was more explosive

but it's not like people in Mammoth don't know that they are living on top of one of the earth's most violent volcanos in history. I heard they found peices of Mammoth in like Nebraska. I think only Yellowsone was more explosive

I was thinking the same thing, kinda sounds like they should have known better, in particular the third one that went in.

Mammoth seems to have allot of ways to die :freak3:

I was thinking the same thing, kinda sounds like they should have known better, in particular the third one that went in.

Mammoth seems to have allot of ways to die :freak3:

Yeah...Long Valley Caldera has a whole sectin dedicated just to it on the USGS website. it's cool to watch active earth history like that

Mammoth Mountain IS NOT a 'volcano...' if you look at a Topographic map of the area; you would need to zero-out enough to include the entire Sierra Crest/Long Valley Caldera rim. These ridge-formations are the outlying "mouth" surrounding the entire resurgent dome; hence, Mammoth Lakes is just a dot on the North-Eastern portion of the maw.

The population here in the Eastern Sierra is well aware of our geographic location in relation to the Caldera, and we are all quite aware of the idiosyncrasies given the locale. We are also aware that we have earthquakes/volcanic activity each-day (much of which is not detectable and certainly not marketed to the general public Tourista) and we are all keenly aware of the history of the region.

The Ski Area/Town Council either does not or will not divulge much of any tangible information to educate the general public/tourist mentality in this regard; much of this data is just not marketable to the spending masses...so when there is news of a fissure, please do not assume it is an isolated geographic anomaly specific to the Ski Area, as these occur in abundance throughout the Inyo/Mono Counties, and the outlying-areas surrounding the Ski Area, Town of Mammoth Lakes, the Hot Creek natural springs, Round Valley, Lee Vining and June Lake, to name only a few.

We each accept some degree of responsibility for where we choose to live given our lifestyle...this is the same for all of you who choose to live in the larger metropolitan-areas. We have made our concessions, just as you have in order to get out of bed to face each coming day. There are obvious and very distinct trials we face (severe winters, bears, mountain lions, etc.), and on many different levels, as we each can imagine.

Those of you who live in the larger cities on the other hand, have a higher violent crime-rate per capita, or more DUIs or seasonal flooding, or any number of other reasons by which many of us here in the Eastern Sierra have based our decision to relocate.

Any of this isn’t entirely obvious 100-percent of the time, of course...nor is any of this particularly relevant except to make a comparison: but we all must take responsibility to educate ourselves before there is headlong/sensational reference made (especially in a region that is only marketed on the basis of Real Estate-speculations/Log Cabin Lifestyle-type magazines). This is the High Country, and you must expect a different type of reality we face throughout the year, in order to simply live here. That "they should have known better..." makes no sense when you consider the larger picture.

Reference was made above regarding the identification of rock-material indigenous to the area as far as Nebraska...such a displacement would be quite difficult for a 'volcano' the size of 'Mammoth Mountain;' if there was any 'eruption' of the vein within the Caldera, the entire Town, Ski Area, and much of the outlying-area, would be essentially vaporized by the forces necessary to qualify as 'eruption.' The dome has been rising enough to bring Geographers world-wide to study/measure said dome each year for over five/six years. This is one of the most geographically active areas in the Nation, but fissures, hot springs and the like are just a reality of the ongoing geography.

This particular fissure, had existed before the first rope-tow was installed. Many of you, who ski here each Spring, will certainly recall a particular sulfur-type smell especially near Mid-Station or on Chair 3, and usually this time of year. As long as I've lived here, I've noticed at least that much...

This was indeed an unfortunate accident, but as outdoor/recreation enthusiasts, we must all endeavor to keep the pertinent facts of accidents of this type in proper perspective.

OK so I was generalizing a bit I know the mountain itself isn't a seperate volcano on it's own but it is part of a preexisting one that is Long Valley caldera. There are craters in the area any one of which could go off again http://lvo.wr.usgs.gov/index.html is a great place to start an info search on the area. I knew little about the area other than snow when I first went there but I did go back that summer to climb and hike in the area...and as for explosive capablity if the LV Caldera read this http://lvo.wr.usgs.gov/sizes.html

• 2 weeks later...
Mammoth Mountain IS NOT a 'volcano...' if you look at a Topographic map of the area; you would need to zero-out enough to include the entire Sierra Crest/Long Valley Caldera rim. These ridge-formations are the outlying "mouth" surrounding the entire resurgent dome; hence, Mammoth Lakes is just a dot on the North-Eastern portion of the maw.

Some would argue it is a volcano. http://volcano.und.nodak.edu/vwdocs/volc_images/north_america/california/long_valley.html

At any rate, no shortage of vocanic and geothermal activity in the area. Gotta dig the hot springs. Have you tried Travertine?

Y E S: Mammoth Mountain Ski Area/Mammoth Mountain IS a volcano!

All tourists listen carefully: Mammoth Mountain IS a volcano. It really is...so watch out, the monies you invest in your trophy homes/sugarplum dreams of condos and real estate...

Mammoth may be a volcano, but the most seismically active state is Missouri...

watch out!

Besides, we'll all be goners once Yellowstone blows-is that part of the chain?

Silly me, I just assumed the whole chain of Sierras were volcanos, given Mt Lassen is one....or is Mt. Lassen in the Cascades...they're volcanos, too y'know

In any case, it really blows when ski patrol suffers a casualty. Most are either volunteering to keep us safe, or are paid at a low rate.....