Note to New Members ×

FS Oxygen Proton 164 GS

gdboytyler

THE BOARD HAS BEEN SOLD!

Oxygen Proton 164 GS for sale for $125 + shipping.

sidecut radius = 13m

waist width = 19.5cm

The board is in fair condition. Nicks and scratches on deck and base. Plenty of edge and base left. The base has never had a grind. It still has the factory structure. Also plenty of camber.

The Oxygen has been replaced by a custom Donek 165.

If you're interested, you can email me via my profile.

I can email additional photos.

deck.JPG

base.jpg

I tried to sell a mint condition proton 164 here at around that price and got

NO offers, just lots of questions. I ended up putting it on ebay and only got my minimum bid of $100. ( I should have just kept it ) It still had the $425 retail tag on it!

No idea why people don't offer decent $... they are excellent boards. Huge, locked in carves, damp nose and stiff tail... the 164 rides like a 174 with that huge side cut.

Good luck.

No idea why people don't offer decent $... they are excellent boards. Huge, locked in carves, damp nose and stiff tail...

I totally agree. The Proton GS held it's own until I decided to take the plunge on a custom Donek. For wide open runs, I prefer the Proton GS over my stock Donek FC 163.

If you like big, fast carves, a 13m sidecut beats the hell out of a board with a 10m sidecut.

• 2 weeks later...

Question for you. I am a new rider and have a Neidecker fusion 164 which I think is a race board and hard to get laid over. My turns seem too tight and hard to then release. Would this board be better for me to progress up the learning curve? Carvers almanac seems to think so. I am very interested in it and would like to consider buying. Thanks

Since the guy selling is at an SES and you all are writing....maybe you can give some input. Would this be good for the me as I feel I load the tip too much and have to think about keeping my weight back( centered) thru the turn. Probably why I get chatter when i try to really lay it over. Or would that be a heel lift problem? I find myself pressuring the ball of my rear foot during turns instead of my whole foot. The guys helping me say I am 80% there and am looking for a board to help me progress to extreme carves.

Diveburt, this board could work for you, but if you're pressuring the nose too much why not move your stance back on the board you have now? Half an inch can make quite a difference with loading up the tip, and keep the tail locked in better as you finish the turn. Then decide if you want to try another board.

I'm back from a great 3 days of riding at SNES. Oldvolvosrule, thanks for informing the potential buyers about my reason for not replying.

Dragonrider, I agree with the other posters that said the Proton 164 GS is NOT a beginner board. Because of the bigger sidecut radius, you have to have some speed before the board will carve.

Diveburt, when you say you want to "progress to extreme carves" are you talking about the kind of turns shown on extremecarving.com? If you are already carving nice round turns, then yes the Proton GS can help you get better at laid-out carves. The bigger sidecut radius (13m) will allow you to get into the laid-out carve at higher speed, carve a bigger turn and exit the laid-out carve at a higher speed. When I do laid-out carves on boards with 10m sidecut radius (or smaller), I almost come to a stop at the end of the carve.

...I'm looking at some shorter boards with bigger sidecuts...not sure if this is stiff enough for my 215lbs though...

if it 's still available let me know.

At 215 lb, I think you're at the high end of the recommended weight range. Check http://www.oxygensnowboards.com/# ,the website will have recommended weight range. I can't access that website from work, or I would paste the specs in the post.

I do well on easy terrain and make some nice turns but do not get it over enough to where I get any snow on my gloves. I understand that it is a function of my angulation but can't seem to find the balance point at a high edge angle if that makes sense as to what I'm feeling. More speed and terrain and I am out of comfort zone and starting to tense up. Funny, but I like it better when my boots are not locked(Raichle 324) and I can flex more and try to tuck my rear leg in behind the front to help with the angulation. I weigh 160 so maybe this is Proton is too much of an SCR(actually too little) for me. Also, our groomers are kinda narrow and I find myself running out of real estate as it is. Don't want to be picking tree bark from between my teeth. As a dentist that wouldn't be good :smashfrea

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

John Deere,

Yes the Proton is still available.

Crucible,

I got your second email from Bomber. However, your Bomber email address is still not accepting my reply. Email me again through Bomber and include your direct email address. I would guess that your email address in your Bomber profile is incorrect.