Note to New Members ×

Foot cramping up.

zoltan

I'm having a lot of issues with the outside of the ball of my foot cramping up. It can get really bad. If I try and ride with the boots locked instead of powder mode it get's much worse and is virtually guaranteed to cramp up on me. I'd rather not go to my bootfitter with this, because, honestly, I don't trust them. Anyone have any ideas of what I could do to fix this?

I had the same problem untill yesterday. My foot would cramp up and I would have to take a 10 minute rest then I was good for the day. It was really painfull. Yesterday I went into the mountain shop and set up an appointment to get my boots blown out near the front buckle. It worked and now I am pain free.

Foot beds-at least get some superfeet....

I spent the money and got some custom molded footbeds...If you knew what was involved with the bony and ligament structure of your feet and the mechanical forces involved with just walking, let alone carving....

Not trusting your boot-fitter is silly. It's like not trusting your doctor or skydiving instructor: they know what they're doing and there's no reason not to trust them. Just do your research, ask the locals, and you'll be fine.

Not trusting your boot-fitter is silly. It's like not trusting your doctor or skydiving instructor: they know what they're doing and there's no reason not to trust them. Just do your research, ask the locals, and you'll be fine.

Geez, plenty of people don't trust their docs....... ;)

Some kind of boot fitting is definitley in order. If you insist of doing it the cheap way - without a professional boot fitter - I'd go with Down Unders instead of Superfeet. They cost about the same ($30 USD) and seem to work noticably better for my wife. The Superfeet flattened out pretty easily and the DownUnders hold their shape.

Regarding the "trust your bootfitter or doctor" thing - bootfitters, doctors, dentists, etc have to earn my trust. Their certificates and degrees aren't enough. In recent years, I've had 50% good luck with boot fitters, 40% good luck with doctors, and 33% good luck with dentists. Not good odds. In all cases, personal recommendations have been key to finding someone good. Asking around and getting recommendations increases your chances of a good experience greatly. After one bootfitting session last fall and one 20 minute follow-up in January for a little additional shell sculpting, my feet are as happy in my Suzukas as they are in my gym shoes. (and no, I'm not kidding - a couple of weeks ago I did almost 50000 vertical feet in 8 hours, and my feet felt great at the end of the day.) A good boot fitter is worth their weight in gold.

mike

who was this bootfitter you saw?

Randall Barna - www.footform.com

He's a pedorthist, and a former ski shop owner. His rates reflect the fact that he's a pedorthist, but if you have insurance that covers orthotic work, you could be luckly like me and pay very little out of pocket. I did not know this before I saw him, but my feet are flat enough to warrant orthotics for every day use anyway... and my knees, hips, ankles and lower back are all thanking me for wearing them in my everyday shoes too.

Let everyone know what area you are in, and you should be able to get a reliable recommendation. Is it possible you are cranking the the toe strap down too much? It really doesn't have to be tight, just enough to keep it buckled as the arch and calf straps do most of the work. Are you using the stock liners that came with the boots? They are almost always worth less, you may need to get some heat mold-able liners.

most of the moeny ive spent has gone towards my boots. They are the most important part of your set up. If you aren't comfortable, you can't enjoy yourself. I can't wait for next season when I finally get my Burton Winds stretched out even more and get new moldable liners.

My bet for you is that your boots aren't wide enough. Get the boots widened for like $50 or less and you should be fine.

there are alot of things that YOU can do foot beds are one choice whether custom or just well made commercial ones I have switched off between Superfeet and Dr Scholls working feet over the years in both snowboard boots and my inline skates. cost was $25ish for the Superfeet and $15 for the Dr S. and in truth I can't really notice the difference except for the fact that the Dr S's wear out faster (not sure if its $10 faster though. Another thing to go is get a set of moldable liners (my plan for this summer) or if you have them remold your liners. I know that I have a cramp every time I ride for 2-3 runs until my left liner warms up and I get it shaped to my foot. I have had good luck with bootfitters for my skates...I bought Saloman skates and Senate liners but I still needed the shells bumped out...the guys who did it in Japan spoke no english and did an awesome job, I was in Ochanamizu which is Japan's ski/snowboard central

if you don't have moldable liners get them. If you do have them make sure they are warm when you put them on. If they have been in the car or the garage all night and are cold they will hurt until they warm up. Sometimes they will hurt the rest of the day. Its called eschemia which is basically no blood flow and the tissues get oxygen starved and hurt. take your boots off for a few minutes and start over if they hurt initially when you put them on. IT is also a good idea to leave them looser than you would normally use them until you've worn them for a run or so to warm up tighten them up as the shells loosen and begin to flex more. Most will find that they tighten the boots twice during a day using this method. most important thing is don't cinch em down tight right at the truck wait until you and the boot are warm.

Since my boots are waaay to small for me and I have to wear them barefoot, I put them on then after 2 runs I go inside, take my foot out and put them on again. Exactly as Dr. D describes. My boot doesn't seem to have a consistant flex in various temperatures so i need to do this every few hours as the boot warms up more and more.