Note to New Members ×

Air Travel with boards/boots...

wavechaser

Anyone got any tips on air travel with boards/boots? I'm flying out to the USASA Nationals and have never flown with snowboarding equipment before. I've got a big 181 Burton padded/wheeled bag. Do you wrap the decks in anything? What do you do with boots? I'm planning to remove plate bindings (no softies are going) and pack in my luggage. Anyone who has learned from experience I'd love to hear from. Thanks in advance for any posts on this.

:)

I usually put a piece of cardboard over the tip & tail, kinda like if you were shipping them. and leave your bindings on if you can...had mine in my backpack and got the full search from TSA on the way to Oregon a few weeks ago...apparently they don't like large chunks of metal in your carry-ons

i cant remember who i heard this from at the eces but it seems like a good tip. wrap your boards in your underwear, preferably used. then the tsa dorks wont take them out of your bag and scratch them up.

I've flown 6 times with gear and have never had a problem. I wrap my boards with my fleece garments and any other soft clothing that I've packed for my trip. These articles of clothing offer a bit more protection than soiled speedos and G-strings. :p My board bag is usually jammed pack with so much clothing that I can barely zipper it. I take no chances...have you ever seen how your luggage gets treated at the airport!?!?!

I love my sportube, plus you can sit on it when you've broken your ankle.

My return to the scene of my ankle fracture is in 2 weeks...my sportube will be holding my rock board, my Alp, and my snowblades, and my boots....

Can't wait...this time I won't be talking to any real estate agents on the Peak 5 lift :cool:

A couple of tips. I assume you have a good wheelie board bag. I'll let the others discuss packing appropriately.

1) Carry your boots on the plane. They can lose everything else, but without boots you are screwed. Although there is a shop at Northstar that sells Head Stratos boots (Elite Feet). Last time I actually removed one set of bindings from the board and clicked them onto my boots as part of my carry-on. Just screw the whole thing together and click onto your boots. This way the worst you'll need to find is a board to ride (see tahoecarvers folks if you are in a bind - they are very helpful). Boots and bindings are heavy so this also helps minimize checked baggage weight.

2) Curbside check-in. These guys usually don't have scales, and even if they do, a $10 tip will virtually guarantee your heavy bag get on the plane with no over-weight charge. Not only is curbside faster and easier, its the best way I know to avoid the weight nazis. New airline bag restrictions have dropped weight limits dramatically. The overage cost is crazy (that's how they expect to make up for some of the money they are losing). I've never had a problem with a heavy bag getting through curbside check-in. I bring $5 and $10 bills for the guys there and it always works.

Good news: the car rental at Reno airport is only about 100 yards from baggage claim and there are no stairs. Oh, and there's a big Sportmart across the freeway for the stuff you forget. REI in Reno is supposed to be a good place to get tuning done as well. If you need to tune gear yourself, look for a hookup on Tahoecarvers. I know there are people there who have places in Tahoe with tuning equipment (like that Randy guy who got banned from posting on BOL).

1) Carry your boots on the plane. They can lose everything else, but without boots you are screwed. Although there is a shop at Northstar that sells Head Stratos boots (Elite Feet).

I sure hope nothing like this happens but I thought I would mention that Elite Feet only has the Stratos boots at their Squaw Valley store. For some reason the new location at N* won't sell them until next year. Reno Mountain Sports also sells these boots.

If you need any help or info get a hold of me. All the BOL members coming out for nationals should get together one night for a beer. I will post that in the other USASA post though.

Randy

When I fly, I have a K2 soft wheelie bag that holds snowboards and 2 pair of skis. This bag is reinforced with plastic inside under the boards, and has tiedown straps inside the bag, and out. Once the gear is in there, it doesn't move. As an extra precaution, I put old rag t-shirts over the tips of the snowboards, and protect the ski bindings with towels. Finally, I wrap ducttape around the bag where the outside straps are as a preventative measure just in case the buckles break, and to further secure the gear inside.

I've flown that way several times, and I've not had a problem yet. Just make sure to leave your zippers exposed so the TSA can inspect inside if they need to. Just a few weeks ago, my gear got the nifty TSA sticker "Inspected by TSA." :D

Oh, I also agree with curb-side (Or SELF check-in!!!) check-in. A good tip helps too. I'm almost certain one of my bags would have been overweight (even with the gear spread into my snowboard bag) on the trip out, but it wasn't weighed. :) If I was overweight, it would have been a simple matter to pull my heavy ski boots out and carry them on.

If you can/want to, definitely carry your boots on the plane. This year, I didn't, but I did use my girlfriend's other checked allowance for a bag with 2-pair of snowboard boots, and that worked out well. I travelled with 2 boards, and a pair of skis, and 3 pair of boots. Next time, I think I'll drive. :p

i cant remember who i heard this from at the eces but it seems like a good tip. wrap your boards in your underwear, preferably used. then the tsa dorks wont take them out of your bag and scratch them up.

You'll have to pack a lot of underwear to protect your boards.

I use an old army blanket, and I wrap my boards up in them to protect them from each other, and also protect the edges from getting damage. You could add some cardboard strips (duct taped on) to further protect your edges.

I've had 4 boards in a big Burton bag, stack the longest to the shortest, and take the bindings off and wrap those up in my fleece. Flew with no problem. You can also stack two boards, with the boards binding to binding, tip to tail.

1. Read the airlines rules online. They've reduced the weights.

They also may ask how many boards are inside. Limit 1. I have always

been successful in getting through with up to 4, if the weight is o.k.

2. Weigh all your bags at home while packing.

3. Pack with soft clothing wrapped around boards. Don't waste weight on

packing materials. You don't have any extra.

4. "Emergency repack" at curbside if you are over the majic weight.

5. Maximum "carry on" bag capacity available for repacking.

5. Check in curbside.

6. Tip the skycap.

7. Have the prettiest member of the family handle the baggage. Dress

"appropriately"

8. Sportsexpress.com will pick up at your house and deliver your stuff to

the hotel and may cost about what 2 weight overcharges would cost

(one each way). Then you can bring more "other stuff". Lot's less

hassle, too.

Bricky