Note to New Members ×

Some stats

Peter Vu

I read a thread on the French EC forum that may or may not be of interest here regarding the equipment/technique used during the Olympics:

“…..During an interview, M. Bozetto said that the winner, P. Schoch, rode with a different technique (close the push-pull) compared to other racers….”

Also

- 90% of riders used the Northwave .950 (they are no longer manufactured for the last 7 years)

- 90% of riders used standard bindings (no step-in)

- 90% of riders used F2 Race Titanium

- 90% of riders did not use F2 but instead Kessler

“…..some racers used special bases build on top of some dampers that are used for ski competition. It was also observed that one of the Schoch brothers closing his binding with one had before the start of the race and then popped it open with two fingers after the finish. So “tight” bindings may not be the norm for racing? …..”

Anyway, this is a quick translation because I am doing it at work (shhhhhhh…) :rolleyes: but if sthg is lost in translation, well you can shoot the messenger…ME!! :AR15firin:flamethro:smashfrea:boxing_sm

If there were more alpine riders in the world, the Olympic results should have been enough to revive the Northwave line. That probably won't happen.

If P. Schoch really is using the push-pull style (I couldn't tell from the video), then ExtremeCarving.com needs to get Schoch on a Swoard. That would be some great marketing---along the lines of, "this is what the gold medal winner rides when he's not on the racecourse".

What do the resident racers say about P. Schoch possibly using the push-pull style? There was that interesting thread of racers vs EC'ers :AR15firin

The line about one of the Schoch brothers keeping his binding clip loose is interesting. The first time I read about someone doing that was Jaques Rilliet(?) from ExtremeCarving.com when using the TD2. I tried that with my TD2 and liked it. But, I just didn't feel secure. I was too worried about the toe clip popping loose.

maybe its time to go back to the gummy / rubber bands we were using on the emery plates in the late 80's. they would allow for loose bindings, with at same time make sure it does not open... Or maybe something has to be found on the lever side too... from super stiff to soft and secure....?

nils

It was also observed that one of the Schoch brothers closing his binding with one had before the start of the race and then popped it open with two fingers after the finish. So “tight” bindings may not be the norm for racing? …..”

Nothing to do with how loose the bindings were. Just Supermen doing up tight bindings... :eplus2:

Personally, I like the stiffness of the intecs, but many of the really good versatile carvers I've met (not the "only on the groom, and only when the snow is hard or harder" kind, but the "chop, bumps, and offpiste aren't a problem" kind) like their standard bails super loose or prefer using flexier intecs.

Some of the ones in Colorado like to poke fun at me, as to them it seems like boots + BTS + suspension system is basically an attempt to get to their setup: walk mode + loose bindings.

I read a thread on the French EC forum that may or may not be of interest here regarding the equipment/technique used during the Olympics:

“…..During an interview, M. Bozetto said that the winner, P. Schoch, rode with a different technique (close the push-pull) compared to other racers….”

Also

- 90% of riders used the Northwave .950 (they are no longer manufactured for the last 7 years)

- 90% of riders used standard bindings (no step-in)

- 90% of riders used F2 Race Titanium

- 90% of riders did not use F2 but instead Kessler

“…..some racers used special bases build on top of some dampers that are used for ski competition. It was also observed that one of the Schoch brothers closing his binding with one had before the start of the race and then popped it open with two fingers after the finish. So “tight” bindings may not be the norm for racing? …..”

Anyway, this is a quick translation because I am doing it at work (shhhhhhh…) :rolleyes: but if sthg is lost in translation, well you can shoot the messenger…ME!! :AR15firin:flamethro:smashfrea:boxing_sm

does that mean that the people still in burton do not exist nor do the people riding deeluxe?

I keep a eye on who is riding what and from what I saw most people were riding deeluxe

I think the looser the bails are, the more likely they are to fail from fatigue. 69% more likely, to be exact.

I'm just guessing this from the way bolts in engines work, where they have to be tightened enough to keep the preload high enough so that the bolts don't see the stress cycles from vibrations. Like the bolts that hold case halves together or hold cylinder heads on. It seems like the bindings work that way, sort of.

Since I ve been in the Olympics with the US snowboard team I can tell you first hand.

Most of the riders were wearing Deeluxe. Only 5 or 6 riders in total were wearing Northwaves and the rest were wearing fires, heads and Upzs.

Sigi is on fires, amelie kober is on deeluxe, Tyler is on Upzs and Michelle Gorgoni is on fires.

Let me know if you want more pictures posted

we learned from direct sources that nortwave even threw the molds away anyway; so unless someone wants to buy the plans and make them again its gone for good!

N.

That's crazy! I've heard boot molds cost a fortune - upwards of $20,000 per shell size!