Note to New Members ×

Swoard

snowboardfast

• 3 weeks later...

Coiler also makes a "similar to Swoard" shape as well.

I demoed the real thing from Bordy's demo fleet at SES. I wasn't a fan - but I wonder if some of that wasn't because I was on the wrong model for my size. 175 soft - too soft for my 195 pounds, not by looking at the spec sheet, it just felt too soft to have any kind of stability at any kind of speed. I honestly felt better on my Donek Wide 161 w/ softies. But if I had the chance to try a 175 Medium or a 168 stiff, I have an open mind and would try again.

The Swoard isn't as stable at speed as many other boards. I guess you give up some of that stability to get something else, like lightness, shape, torsional stiffness, or who knows what. I don't ride very fast so I'm happy with it. I'm starting to be a real fan of the wide carving board idea. I base my opinion entirely on how much fun I have.

Coiler also makes a "similar to Swoard" shape as well.

Dig:

coiler_2.jpg

I rode a friend's Swoard for a few days and liked it a lot. Easy to ride, great edge hold, and makes it easier to EC.

Instead of buying a Swoard, I went with a custom Donek with Oympic construction, which ends up more expensive than the Swoard, but definately worth the extra money.

Custom Donek Review

For a poor man's Swoard, you could also check out the Burton UltraPrime 168. It has a 20 cm waist and 12.2m scr.

Another poor man's Swoard is the Oxygen Proton, which I just happen to have for sale:

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=10826

Don't forget the board Jacques Rilliet put together while at Wild Duck the Knifer board too:

TopSheet.jpg

Base.jpg

Length: 161cm even thought it's marked 165cm

Effective edge: 145cm

Sidecut: 11 meter

Nose: 26cm

Waist: 21cm

Tail: 25.5cm

Length / running length / waist width / sidecut radius

161 cm / 145 cm / 21 cm / 11.1 m

While the SWORD:

Length / running length / waist width / sidecut radius

161 cm / 142 cm / 21 cm / 12.1 m

It's a 176, waist is 23.2 cm. I have 10.5" feet, wear Raichle AF650 boots and running 55/50 angles with F2 race Ti bindings (standard, not stepin) takes me right to the edge on the rear foot.

The edge hold is better than anything I have ever ridden. I think the stiffness is 7.6, not sure how that relates to anything. My weight is 180.

In a hard carve, the nose of the Swoard bends more than the Coiler, which seems to hold more of a consistant shape through its length. So I guess the nose is stiffer.

The Coiler seems slightly heavier and more stable. The Swoard feels a little lighter and more maneuverable.

Thanks Dave. It's really fun to ride. I still like the Swoard a lot. These days I mostly ignore whatever anyone else says about a board, no matter how good they are or think they are, unless I know them and their style and board preference. Now I just ride it myself and see if I like it or not. The best rider I ever saw once told me that Doneks weren't very good based on a couple of models he had ridden, then later he told me that he had changed his mind and thought they were pretty good after riding a couple more models.

Thanks Dave. It's really fun to ride. I still like the Swoard a lot. These days I mostly ignore whatever anyone else says about a board, no matter how good they are or think they are, unless I know them and their style and board preference.

huh

are you riding the coiler or the swoard?

coiler has a few models of the EX

168 x 22 x 12.7m

170 x 22 x 12.7m

176 x 22 x 13.2m

176 x 23.2 x 13.2m

have you ridden the coiler alot?

I have the 175M Swoard and the 176 x 23.2 Coiler. I have about 12 hours on the Coiler over three days. About 1 hour was in 6" trracked powder and everything else was on mostly firm snow with ice chunks from the groomer tracks, and slush. I hated it in the powder because I'm not very skilled in powder and had a hard time steering it.

I have about 20 days on the Swoard.

Jim Farr rode my Swoard and his 170 EX on the same day and thought the 170 EX held its edge better.

I don't know how the same shape holds an edge better on one board than another, these are just impressions we get from riding them. But I do definitely notice the nose of the Coiler bending less than the Swoard, not that I'm complaining about it. I could very well be loading the nose of the Swoard too much, my riding style is sometimes very half-assed and sloppy.

OH man, I didn`t know there were boards like that available from Coiler!

I want exactly that same board. To me, it sounds like the perfect carving machine.

I`ve had a go on a few "standard" width boards over the last season and nothing comes close to being wide enough for me, I get nasty boot-out on my Tanker 200 if I run angles under 45.:(

They say patience is a virtue though don`t they.

Thanks for the insight. Most gratefull.

I have the 175M Swoard and the 176 x 23.2 Coiler. I have about 12 hours on the Coiler over three days. About 1 hour was in 6" trracked powder and everything else was on mostly firm snow with ice chunks from the groomer tracks, and slush. I hated it in the powder because I'm not very skilled in powder and had a hard time steering it.

I have about 20 days on the Swoard.

Jim Farr rode my Swoard and his 170 EX on the same day and thought the 170 EX held its edge better.

I don't know how the same shape holds an edge better on one board than another, these are just impressions we get from riding them. But I do definitely notice the nose of the Coiler bending less than the Swoard, not that I'm complaining about it. I could very well be loading the nose of the Swoard too much, my riding style is sometimes very half-assed and sloppy.

So what is your impression of the coiler? Like - no like?

Are you doing EC turns or just hard carving?

Just curious... im having Bruce build me a AM (177X 11.5 radiusX 20cm) Im toying with the idea for another board. I just would like the 1 or 2 board quiver ( I have like 6 in the quiver now!.. Ill get rid of a few of them next season)

I think the Coiler is great, it's my favorite board. The Swoard is a close second.

I really like having a little more heel/toe control than I did with the narrower boards.

I mostly just carve at average speeds making average turns. I think the board is perfect for "EC" turns, I try it once in a while and can sometimes link a couple on both the Swoard and the Coiler, but it's pretty rare and the snow has to be just right. I'm not a good EC carver. The Coiler seems to hold the edge better when trying that, but the Swoard is still good at it. I bet that someone who really knows how to ride the thing on the edge would rip on it big time.

I am on the list for another Coiler and will probably get the exact same board, if that tells you anything :biggthump This time I'll probably try to get a custom topsheet, although I think the maple leaf looks pretty cool. I get a lot of compliments on it. It really makes the square tail stand out in the lift line, people behind me are always commenting on the board. One kid called my board "Sick" last weekend. I'm pretty sure that means he liked it.