Note to New Members ×

Shin Bang - the worst

johnstewart

I've read about it before here, but thankfully never experienced it. But crap, I've got it bad now. Probably it started with a few crashes with big chatter on an icy day last weekend.

My rear (left) shin hurts like hell every time I pressure into a turn. Freeriding I can manage somewhat okay (on a small hill), but every time down the race course is an exercise in masochism.

I've tried a different liner; I've tried shoving some extra foam in the boot next to the area that is sensitive. Nothing really seems to help.

I've got soft Raichle 124's. I've been thinking of upgrading my boots anyway. A good idea? I've had my eye on those Head Stratus Pros for a while (though never tried them on). Perhaps a higher boot?

Any other suggestions?

This is killing me because I may have just found a way to get out to nationals for NASTAR, but hell, I don't know if it's worth the expense and the drive if I'm not going to be able to ride.

I've broken my wrist, my finger, smashed up my face, and bruised up every part of my body in this sport. This is the worst injury yet, because it's stopping me from riding!! =(

I've heard that suggested... but I don't think they'd work with my boots.

I have 123's (attached picture).

I modded these by taking off the top velcro strap and replacing it with a buckle (as with the other 3 below it). I don't know where a booster strap would fit; there's not really much room above the top strap.

post-12-141842216057_thumb.jpg

Buy yourself a set of shintronics. No shinbang ever, more control and more pressure on your edges, www.manoove.com

Ouch... $62 for a pair to the US. Pretty pricey.

I tried them for a week now and I will use them every time I go out. I first used boosters but the shintronics are a way better solution.

You can also try Shintronics from www.manoove.com. Helped me out.

So have you had them one week, or 5 weeks?

Anyone else tried these?

thanks

johnS

Was on a winterholiday last week in Haus (Austria). I just wear them six full days from 10:00 till 17:00. No problems, the longer you wear them, the better they will be. The product is new for this season, invented by a dutchman. Another satisfied user: http://www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1976&highlight=shintronics and other solutions.

(I have no mountains here so I got the shins about a month ago and tried them in a snowhall with artificial snow, www.snowworld.nl)

Hope this helps.

Greets, Hans.

Part of the issue you are still experiencing is the strap you've created. The Booster or your strap should go around the liner (i.e. soft internal part of your boot) so that there is zero space between your liner and your shin. Placing the Booster or the strap you’ve created that goes around the shell means that there is likely still space between the shin and liner. To give you an idea, I tighten my Booster before I do my top buckle on my boots, and then I tighten the top buckle so the shell goes over the Booster.

My 2 cents.

Looking at the shintronics, one wonders if a decent set of soccer shinguards might do the same thing. Easier to source and probably cheaper?

Soccer shinguards are made of hard plastic so they will not fit perfectly. Shintronics are made out of neoprene and have a V-form due to the two replacable pads in the inner part (you can change the place of the pads if you like) The shintronics will form to your shins and boots after use of a few hours, the soccershinguards won't.

Shintronics: because the pressure on your shins will be put on a higher place, your lower shins will be having lower pressure. Also the pressure is placed over a broader area because of the shintronics. The shintronics will be about for three or four cm. in your boot, the rest of it will be above your boots. I had to try some with these but after 15 minutes of use you will notice when the position is not right, too much pressure on your (back) calves.

Greets, Hans.

I got it pretty bad this year too, also on my rear foot. x rays last week confirmed no stress fracture, just brusing. Time certainly helps , so does icing. I also wear an ACE ankle brace (not the wrap kind) over my sock, it can't hurt. what has really helped me though is the cheap version of the shin tronic, the Eliminator Tongue

http://www.bootfitters.com/eliminator.htm

keep in mind I have skinny legs so that was part of my problem, but these were $25 I think and come in different sizes. Some BOLers have also made homemade contraptions. good luck and ice!

I've had severe shinbang in the past with UPZ boots...never did get that licked and eventually switched back to Raichles.

I think a heat-molded liner might help you if you do upgrade your boot though - I got my Raichle liner molded and I haven't had any foot pain at all ever since.

Good luck!

John

I had shin bang after a bad chatter experience like you, two seasons ago.

I found that I really had to pull the thermoflex liners tight around my shin as I tightened the buckles (need three hands to make it easy). I haven't tried it, but someting like duct tape on the liner overlaps might reduce the friction and allow the cuff to tighten more.

Other than that, unless I think I'm going to hit something I keep my board off the snow when I fall.

BobD

I always try to do that, as long as it isn't a recoverable fall, since I have hurt my ankle before digging an edge while sliding.

yeah i just "discovered" this technique this past weekend. seems relatively easy, extra padding round the knees (specially if the snow is hard/icy) may increase comfort when doing this. I imagine doing when falling heelside may be a bit harder, almost like a crunch.

JohnStewart,

the Eliminator tongues i have are foam, shaped in the shape of a leg.

Guest *Ryan*

Had a similar experience early this year. Tried a variety of things to pad the area, but ultimately all were insufficient. I simply re-injured my shin every time I rode. Ice can help, but works best as an ice massage. Take a small paper cup filled with water, freeze, remove top 1/2 of paper cup to expose ice, rub 5-10 min. Fairly unpleasant but works a bit better to calm things down after riding. Alternatively, I work as a physical therapist and found that after 3-4 treatments of ultrasound over 4 days improved things significantly allowing me to continue riding (1-2x/wk) and in a couple weeks to ride pain free. May be worth seeing a PT if insurance allows. Good luck