Note to New Members ×

Hardbooters skis ?

LeeW

LeeW, I alternate between the two. I purchased some shaped skis last year but when I bought them I still was thinking about the old straight skis and bought a pair of 190 cm. Way too long!! I sold em to a buddy and got a pair of Head Monsters in a 170, I used to ski/race on 205s and longer. My snowboards are longer than my skis!!!

The skis have a 13 meter sidecut radius and I can carve em up pretty good, although I haven't been able to carve a circle like you can on a board.

I took up skiing and boarding at 50 and still split my time pretty evenly. My focus on both is racing but enjoy cruisin' and carvin' as well.

qxrneq.jpg

Later this month I'll compete in both events at the NASTAR Nationals.

Racing in the east involves some pretty deep ruts and this winter has seen a lack of snow.....

qxrp78.jpg

Yeah, I still do both. I got a new pair of skis last year (Atomic SX-7 Supercross, or something like that), but I barely used them due to the poor conditions. This year, I mainly got on skiis when helping my 4 year old daughter, but lately I've found myself enjoying them more and more. They are 150 and my boards are 147 and 149 so just about the same. I remember many moons ago I used to give my mom crap for her tiny 150cm skiis. Things change! I skiied on 190s at one point, but that was a mistake from the very start!

Kathy

Hey! Just wanted to beat my chest a little. The new NASTAR National Rankings just came out and I moved to number one in the geriatric class. I'm also sitting in #16 position in skiiing in the Gold Division. If I can find enough Advil to get me through the Nationals in two weeks I'll be ready for knee surgery in late April. The bone-on-bone is so bad it's locking up. The Doc is going to grind down some of the bone.

I quit skiing at sixteen due to the 205 vlkl GS's my dad thought I needed to up my technique. Kinda tempted by the new fat short stuff though. the board is my thing not to many people can give you pointers and the what is that questions in the lift line are fun:lol:

I still swap between skis and snowboards, frequently in the same day. I love both sports for different reasons. Although, my skiing is suffering a bit because I'm spending all my money on good snowboard gear, even though my ski gear is worn out. :biggthump

EDIT: Typo. Thanks, little buddy! :p

racetiger_sl_racing_3.gif

Got a pair of these this year and you cannot get the smile wiped off of my face. I have carved consecutive 360's on them (720) which I have yet to do on any of my race boards and I don't have near the same skill level on skis. Slalom skis are a blast.

Of course, I am on a small mountain, so slalom skis are key. I had GS skis that were great at bigger hills.

Phil: What length are those? I want new skis, and was thinking of going the slalom route myself.

They look like a blast, and I sometimes get slalom ski envy watching all the racers rip the slalom turns outside the course.

They look like a blast, and I sometimes get slalom ski envy watching all the racers rip the slalom turns outside the course.

I got the envy when I was watching the junior Olympics at Vail, and been observing and applying the turns. Paid off in a while.

I ski and ride. Although... this season I've only gotten in two days on my board because 1- im scared of the eastern conditions and hurting my ass and 2- i've been racing slalom and gs (on skis) every single weekend since january up until two weeks ago (we made it to regionals). I raced in regionals on twin tips :biggthump (McBrine League is the lowest of the low to get into regionals- we had fun and were obnoxious to the other teams that 1-got funded, 2- had full time coaches, 3- matching gs suits, 4-electronic tuning gear on the top of the mountain.

For easter I am going to kirkwood and plan on riding.

Aften nothing but the occasional demo/rental for almost ten years, I bought a pair of 163cm Head Cyber ic180s a couple season ago. They carve nicely but a little tight (12.6m SCR) and they feel a little squirrely so I bought the 177cm version (14.something SCR) a couple weeks ago (was stuck staring at a used set while I had liners molded for my UPZs, and couldn't leave them there). Haven't ridden the the 177s yet though.

I bought them I still was thinking about the old straight skis and bought a pair of 190 cm. Way too long!!

Girl's blouse. I was out in 1m of powder yesterday, on skis. Salomon Force 9s, 205. Yes, it was hell on my buggered knee, but I didn't fancy taking the Blast SL out for a submarining expedition :)

I do fancy a pair of those little racecarvers, though.

Simon

I'm selling a pair of Atomic 9.20s if anyone is interested in a GS ski. They're about four years old, 180cm, and have 4:12 race bindings. $190 + shipping.

Reason for selling: I have two newer pairs of Atomic GS skis.

p.s. if you get a chance to ski any Atomic slalom ski in a 160 length, try it. Those puppies are built to carve.

It's a job to beat the Atomic metrons M9, M10, M11, & B5. The wide waist helps with boot out and the radius are great for smaller hills. ( I have some new 157 m10s for sale)

I have just bought Fischer 170 rc4 sc to start racing next year and they carved incredibly well.

post-340-141842216113_thumb.jpg

I do both,

Took up hard booting as skiing was getting dull at my hill. all there is to do is race, in aus my local hill has no terrain that i have not skied at least 3times it is that small. So i've taken to boarding and it makes the mountain seem brand new to me every time.

As for skis, Line make some great twintips and dynastar mogul skis.

I do both also. As a matter of fact I rarely carve all day because of my fear factor when the hill crowds up ( been hit bad ), so I do my carving in the a.m. then switch to skies. I use a ski boot to carve in so the switch over is really fast and easy. I'm a bump skier and I love a ski that handles the bumps and still carves like crazy on the groomed. It's all good.

As for skis, Line make some great twintips and dynastar mogul skis.

Im so curious to try Line Transfer boots! I hear they're not common anymore. :-/

I use a ski boot to carve in so the switch over is really fast and easy.

I wish I could do that, tho the UPZ boots are tedious at time to switch from skiboots module to sb modules/intec. :-/

Im so curious to try Line Transfer boots! I hear they're not common anymore. :-/

I wish I could do that, tho the UPZ boots are tedious at time to switch from skiboots module to sb modules/intec. :-/

I use the dalebello krypton and have them pretty well dialed in, I was using the raichle flexon comp. They are both good cross over boots.

Short walk to the car. I keep my boots in an insulated bag with a large dried corn heat bag wrapped in towel, (essential for hard to get on race ski boots).

Five minutes and I'm back on the hill.

Now to make things really complicated, I've started riding a skwal as well. The skwal works best with a third pair of boots.

The technique stuff gets more confusing than the boot changes.

BobD

I use the dalebello krypton and have them pretty well dialed in, I was using the raichle flexon comp. They are both good cross over boots.

Dave - I've been looking at those as an option - do you use the Pro, Cross, or Rampage?

I was looking at the rampage but can't seem to find them in my size this late in the season.

For the UPZ, Can you not just leave in the module for DIN or do you have SI bindings?

As for line, there have been a few go on ebay recently, look like a good boot fo r the price they are going for + you have the raichle quality