Note to New Members ×

Has anyone folded the nose on a 4807?

Dan

So...I was charging some crud bumps at Meadows pretty hard on Thursday (had to ride Shooting Star Ridge to get to Jack's Woods) on my 178 cm 4807, and today I noticed just the tiniest hint of a crease at the base of the boat nose. I can really only see it because the gleam of the topsheet (it's only got 2 or 3 days on it since I unwrapped it) has a little discontinuity at that point.

To clarify, I'm a lightweight rider, and I didn't do anything that I haven't done on other snowboards with no problem. But that boat nose is a funny beast...

So, any comments on the build quality of the 4807 w/r/t the noses?

Mine has that crease in it too. I don't know when it appeared. It doesn't seem to affect performance. However, the big crack down the middle of mine does affect performance, as does the delaminated tail. Hitting cliffs, whether with the tail or with the nose, is bad for the board. Mine is a wall hanging now. I don't know whether to blame it on poor build quality or stupidly aggressive riding by me, but you definitely can kill them. FWIW, this is only the 2nd snowboard I've ever broken (I broke lots of skis in my skiing days).

I'd blame everything on quality. These boards fall apart. Fast. Mine's delaminated at the nose, I've snapped the core in two places: right beneath both bindings. These boards aren't meant to be ridden hard; they're pieces of crap.

Guest rick ferguson

I have ridden mine for 2 seasons and I am 200lbs. and ride very aggressive. No buckles or folds to be had. Maybe you stacked one too many times, I've had no problem with the product. Beware of those that judge quickly, sometimes they are the fault!!! This makes me think of how I can ride a 2 3/4" longboard for 3 years without breaking it or buckling and yet a kook can take out a 3 1/4" longboard and snap it, in a day at a beach break.

the intended use is probably that of untracked deep pow, not woods, exposed chutes and other real world conditions such tracked out bumps.

kinda like a burner I guess

that said after being on boards that have taken poundings I expect all my boards to put up with equal abuse or be waranteed

the intended use is probably that of untracked deep pow, not woods, exposed chutes and other real world conditions such tracked out bumps.

kinda like a burner I guess

that said after being on boards that have taken poundings I expect all my boards to put up with equal abuse or be waranteed

Hmm, that makes sense Bob. Not sure that's quite the same point that Rick was making though. I would take a stab at warranteeing the board, but given that I bought it at a fire sale price off of e-bay, that's probably not going to happen.

are you sure you aren't seeing the seam? Is it a two piece kinda thing like the boards that the tips are attached to the core and not part of it? It may have a flat core that ends there and you are just seeing the interface. I don't know but seems a possiblility. Of course if you can see it does that mean its crappy work? maybe

Hey Dr. D.,

I think it is the seam, but I couldn't see it before...things just got bent a bit too far while riding, I think. Looking at the sidewall, you can see where the nose section joins the body of the board, but there wasn't anything visible on the topsheet before.

My new 4807's seam is faintly visible straight from the wrapper and it rides awesome. I've seen the same seam on other carvers 4807's. Maybe you just didn't see it before. What a killer crud/soft cord board. Not bad in the pow if I stay away from dense trees.

I tried waranteeing my 4807 when I first delamed the tail a couple seasons ago. Dynastar fixed it (it didn't totally take, I've re-delamed it) and sent it back saying they don't replace boards for "user error" or something like that. It was obvious I'd hit pretty hard on some rocks, due to the gouges in the base. I highly doubt they'll send you a new one now, but go for it and let us know how you make out. Mine is going on the wall soon. I'm buying fat skis to replace it.

All 178cm 4807 boards that I've seen have that horizontal line just below the nose. Not a defect, not a weak point. Very hard to see if you aren't looking for it.

I love my 4807 and I will ride it until it gives out, then I'll mount it on the wall.

--Hugh

p.s. My 4807 is un-cut :eplus2::eplus2: