Note to New Members ×

Frustrated and disgusted

TrenchDigger

Hello Fellow Carvers,

This is my first time posting on this forum. To qualify myself to post here I am 34 years old and this is my 18th season snowboarding. I have well over 500 days under my belt as I lived in a resort town (Crested Butte, Co.) for 4 years and had a couple of season passes to some of Front Range mountains after that. I moved back to California in '95 and only get to go on the occasional trip or go to the local garbage mountains 10 or so times a year. I have been riding hard boots since '89 and I ride the freestyle board when there is POW.

Now for the rant.... I went on a trip last weekend to Mammoth brought both boards but only the softy boots. I was fully expecting to pick up a new pair of hard boots since my currnet pair has suffered some irrepairable damage to the liners. Mammoth is home of Wave Rave and some other notable retail shops but Wave Rave was my first choice. I have been there before and had good luck with them having a decent selection of Alpine gear. Not this year. I was reffered to about 7 or 8 different shops NONE of them carried carving/racing gear. I know I probably should have called first but I thought for sure someone would have had some hard boots for sale. They all looked at me like I was speaking a different language or something. I was forced to be on my softies all weekend which isn't the end of the world since I can carve on that just fine, even switch. I would have liked to carve some ruts for other tourists trip in though. I really can't believe that NO one even carries Alpine gear any more. Where do all their local racers get there gear?

Thanks for reading,

TrenchDigger

When was the last time you saw a full selection of hard boots for sale at a shop? The Bomber store is the only place I've ever been to that does. I would be super stoked if if the sport was popular enough for stores to stock gear, but it simply isn't.

Honestly where you surprised that you couldn't find boots in Mammoth?

Trenchdigger, Wave Rave hasn't carried alpine stuff for a few years, there aren't any shops that have a large inventory of alpine gear. There are a few stores in the local mtns that have some new, old stock in their inventory, one is located in Big Bear, the name is Goldsmith's Board House, they carry some Deeluxe aka Raichle boots and also some Raichle bindings, sizes are limited on the boots so call before you go. I know last summer I tried on some 27.5 Suzukas and they had 28.5 in stock also.

The other place is located in Wrightwood, it is called Mountain High Sports, they have some leftover gear as well. The owner's name is Tim, he is a fellow carver, he can help you out.

I see that you are in Temecula, not sure if you make it up to the local resorts much but I have a pr of Burton Winds, 28.5=10 1/2 that you can use. I am not selling but you are welcomed to use them.

I livei n Redlands, let me know if and when you go riding local, I can meet you up there.

Also, on April 7,8 & 9 there will be a bunch of carvers descending upon the Mammoth/June area for a carver get together. Fellow board member Neil,(Nekdut is his screen name) is arranging it. There will be some board and binding demos there. Try to make it as these get togethers are a blast!!

Wave Rave actually has a few older Burton FPs and Alps for demo, but thats about it. No bindings or boots. I've actually asked them if I could buy one of the older FPs off of them, and the said the only discount they could give was 20%.. off of retail ($400-500) ! This was for a beat up and gouged 8 yr old board! :angryfire Their loss! The board was basically just taking up space on their racks.

A number of ski bootfitters in town have thermo liners if you need that. Also, Footloose carries Dalbello Kryptons, which are supposedly the new Raichle Flexons.

Thanks Alot!!!!! I will definetly try to make it to Mammoth in April. I have been to Big Bear and that is where I picked up my Burton Alp I have now several years ago. It was a new, older model that no one wanted so I picked it up for $125 bucks. Score!!! I think I am just going to order some new Thermo liners and keep the Raichle 724 shells that I have now. If that doesn't work I will probably order some Deeluxes or some Heads off ones of these sites. What do you know about UPZ?

When was the last time you saw a full selection of hard boots for sale at a shop? The Bomber store is the only place I've ever been to that does. I would be super stoked if if the sport was popular enough for stores to stock gear, but it simply isn't.

Honestly where you surprised that you couldn't find boots in Mammoth?

the startingate in vt has a whole wall full of raichle and head hardboots...:o

If you make it up to Tahoe, there's one shop that carries the new Head boots. I'm all for supporting Fin, but if you want a place to try them on, then that's an option. They also do a great job fitting boots. Its called Elite Feet at the Resort at Squaw Creek. They also have a store at Northstar but that store doesn't have the Head boots yet.

Yah, nobody near me sells them. EXCEPT, my local windsurfing/kiteboarding/skateboarding/snowboarding store actually had one! it's like a 160 deep deep powder carver though, and they bought it cause they thought it looked cool and wanted it for decoration...