Note to New Members ×

Mid-priced binding options?

Michael_A

Hi,

I'm getting my first hard boot setup and need more info about bindings. I can't justify spending the $$ for the top-of-the-line Bombers, and the only used options I see for sale are Burton plates which seem to be very inexpensive and not have a great reputation.

Is there an in-between option, at around $150? I'm not aggressive and weigh 160lbs so massive strength or durability shouldn't be a big factor.

Thanks,

Michael

When you are patient and check the Bomber classifieds, Catek classifieds and eBay regularely, you can find some used Bomber TD1, Catek Olympic or World Cup for around that price. I got some Catek Olympic for 200$CDN (including shipping) last november.

Guest owaysys

I dunno, man. I think Burton plates get a bad rap a lot of the time. I've ridden them for a long time and I'm not light by any stretch of the imagination (185 lbs). Ridden them for race, freecarve, everything and never had a problem. The only guys I know who've had problems with Burton plates were riding REALLY stiff boots (Raichle AF world cup stock), and were riding with no cant, which puts a lot of weird torque on the bails. I ride with retail Raichle AF600's and cant on my back foot. My only advice with the race plates would be to buy an unused pair, and/or buy some extra heel and toe bails from Burton so you can switch them out every other season or so. Of course, if you're really worried about binding failure, I'm not sure there's any option, as I've seen (either in person or in pictures on the internet) binding failure from almost every manufacturer.

I agree Burtons are that bad, many top racers still ride them. There will probably be more Burtons in the Olympics than Bombers and Cateks combined. Being that you are starting out they are probably a better option for you anyway. Although if you want a binding that is still in production and reasonable in price go for the F2.

does anybody know about the snowpro fast heels. Is there any diffrence between intec? I have been woundering abouth this but i keep forgeting to post. how do they compare to intec or physics heels

I was wondering about them a while ago, haven't seen any negative reviews, but there is only one model of these bindings and you'll have hard time finding spare parts... Sadly enough the concept makes much more sence than intecs...

I was wondering about them a while ago, haven't seen any negative reviews, but there is only one model of these bindings and you'll have hard time finding spare parts... Sadly enough the concept is way better than intecs...

yeah it really is because there is no cable failure and all you do is push a lever. the one thing i dont like about it is that it is only availble to snowpro. i wish it was availble to other bindings. but i still love my intecs

yeah it really is because there is no cable failure and all you do is push a lever. the one thing i dont like about it is that it is only availble to snowpro. i wish it was availble to other bindings. but i still love my intecs

Actually, there's still one cable in FAST bindings, connecting the levers together...

I've just ordered Intecs as well, but I'm really anxious about these cables in my boots... :mad:

oh well my bad about the fast heels. be sure you be really careful when putting in the heels . make sure you dont mess up the cable and if you do you can snip some of it off. thats what i did. it worked great!. good luck and i hope you love them.

Thanks, though I'm not affraid to mess it up.. I've just heard too many horror stories about feet in pain because of these cables... :freak3:

I'm getting my first hard boot setup and need more info about bindings. I can't justify spending the $$ for the top-of-the-line Bombers, and the only used options I see for sale are Burton plates which seem to be very inexpensive and not have a great reputation.

Get F2 titanium. I don't use the American bindings, not because of cost, but because they're over-engineered and too heavy. The F2's are simple, elegant, they provide the set-up options you need and they weigh less than anything else out there. The race titanium bindings are top-of-the-line. Make sure they fit the hole patterns on your boards: you used to have to buy separate titanium plates for 3-hole and 4-hole set-ups.

Burton... don't even think about it. I can't think of a decent binding they ever sold. Great colours and marketing though, I'm told.

i didnt even notice them. i use deeluxe susukas which have a pretty thick liner if you ask me and a booster strap( if that has anything to do with it). you shouldnt have any problems

Having the same boots (with standard liners for now, which are comfy, but don't look like they will survive the season...) I really hope I won't notice them either... Thanks!!!

Get F2 titanium. I don't use the American bindings, not because of cost, but because they're over-engineered and too heavy. The F2's are simple, elegant, they provide the set-up options you need and they weigh less than anything else out there. The race titanium bindings are top-of-the-line. Make sure they fit the hole patterns on your boards: you used to have to buy separate titanium plates for 3-hole and 4-hole set-ups.

Burton... don't even think about it. I can't think of a decent binding they ever sold. Great colours and marketing though, I'm told.

For god's sake, in no way F2 Ti can be classified as mid-priced bindings... Michael is looking for something inexpensinve in the 100$ range... And as far as Burtons go, I wonder why are you so negative about them if you've only been told they are crap? Burton Race plates are more than decent and reliable... I still think they are one of the best choices for the price...