Note to New Members ×

pic of hardboots in softboot bindings - does anyone do this

snow|3oarder

that looks like one of those rare koflach snowboard boots. correct me if im wrong. haven't seen boots like those in a -looong- time.

PS I have seen worst. an idiot tried to go snowboarding in ski boots. yes, using ski boots -WITH- soft boot bindings. sheesh. we all four of us were doing same run. and this guy of the four was struggling while three of us were doing laps 3 or 4 times with him still on his first lap. three of us did warn him it wouldn't simply work. he was just being stubborn. worst part is that he's being cheap despise the fact he is from well-off family and is well-off himself.

this was common back in the late 80's early 90's. When I moved to Colorado in 1988 i rode with asolo mountaineering boots in a highback binding. this was at Aspen highlands.The 1st resort I rode at when I moved to CO. I think I started riding plates the next season.People did this for the same reason as we ride hardboots today-more carving power. There is no reason to do this today as we have the proper equipment. I did this because I didn't know about plate bindings at the time. I'm not sure when plates were first available ? Maybe someone can tell us?I rode those same pink koflac boots on a Kemper apex asym with snopro plates for a while. Damian Sanders used to ride koflacs as well.

this was common back in the late 80's early 90's. When I moved to Colorado in 1988 i rode with asolo mountaineering boots in a highback binding. this was at Aspen highlands.The 1st resort I rode at when I moved to CO. I think I started riding plates the next season.People did this for the same reason as we ride hardboots today-more carving power. There is no reason to do this today as we have the proper equipment. I did this because I didn't know about plate bindings at the time. I'm not sure when plates were first available ? Maybe someone can tell us?I rode those same pink koflac boots on a Kemper apex asym with snopro plates for a while. Damian Sanders used to ride koflacs as well.

here's a late '80s Avalanche with primitive plates:

Damian was riding Koflachs (with plates) as early as '87. I've been doing this for a long time and I never saw anyone serious try to put Koflachs or any other hardboot in a strap binding.

It`s stories and photos like that,,that make me so happy I didn`t snowboard back in the "Dark Ages".

You're just jealous 'cause you never got to wear neon green pants, neon pink boots, and a neon yellow board and just know you were the coolest thing around :biggthump:biggthump:biggthump

I cannot put my finger on the exact year, but plate bindings were definitely around in the 80s, because I remember seeing plates in a Burton brochure when I was still in school - must have been around '85. IIRC, those plates had the bail for the back foot at the heel, the one for the front foot at the toes.

My son, when he was 5,,,,,17 yrs ago, used ski boots in a soft binding because they didn't make snowboard boots and nothing else fit.

He then went to ski boot liners in sorels, and duct tape

Then finally ski boots in plates.

Very little surprises me these days.

Alan

I started hardbooting on '91, I think, with Scarpa plastic mountaineering boots in Burton Freestyle bindings with the highbacks removed on an M6. The next year I got some horrific green and white hardboots made by Alpina (?) maybe... I remember they had a white lugged sole, green lowers and white uppers. Used those with the freestyle bindings for part of the season and got a PJ6 and some Burton plates towards the end of the season, I think.

Guest Zach Davis

It's very possible that that is intended to be a snowboard mountaineering set-up.

Before I was awakened to the joy of hard boots and plate bindings, I rode in strap bindings with mountaineering boots... various styles and brands, though the La Sportiva Nuptse was the clear winner.

This set-up works reasonbably similar to a soft boot set-up, and you can actually climb in the boots... For those of us that climb to any significant altitude or on any technical terrain, soft boots are simply not an option. They are too soft, rounded, and over-sized to climb precisely in, and they're not even remotely warm enough for high altitudes.

Zach

I used to ride with a Kemper boot that had a hard shell bottom half and a soft upper half, I loved them. The stiff sole was really responsive and reduced the strap pressure on my toes. It was also quite and upgrade from my sorels with ski boot liners, toe cut off and the toe of a sock ducktaped on to extend the too small boot liner. I also cut out a ski boot tongue and stoapped that onto my boot tops to increase stiffnes and even out the pressure (I have always cranked my straps in search of more response, feet totally asleep etc. and cold!) "Back in the Day" I learned on a boyscout ski trip on a Burton 150 with fastex stapped low backs, we had cruddy equipment, but I swear we would honk and wave if we saw boards on a car and hoot other riders if we saw one! I am glad to be getting into hardboots finally after 20 years My LeMans arrive today and Im up to Squaw on Saturday. Thanks for selling the boots Zoltan and Hugh is loaning me some Cateks until mine get here on tuesday and selling me a Tornado. The carving community reminds me of the old days, Thanks everyone! :o

oh for those days of duct taped sorels and 5" tails with straight edges:rolleyes:

A fellow learned to be a man and didn't cry when his head bounced of the hard pan. the learning curve was a little steeper then. I tried skiboots in highbacks it was a pain in the ass as I recall. ended up on an M6 with the old variplate burtons and my trusty rear entry raichle ski boots it was heaven. the bindings had so much flex that the boots didn't matter.

Guest Peter P

I switched from Sorrels and duct tape to Koflachs (pink) and Elfgen two piece plates because my soft bindings murdered my feet. Comfort and performance during the dark ages! I still use Dynafit TLT AT boots for freeriding with Burton race plates, plenty of flex for powder and positive feel.

Yesterday, guy arrives in the lift line with a brand spanking new hot blast GS. And a brand spanking set of super-cheap plastic softboot bindings, and some set of budget-basement softboots. Boot overhang all over the place, of course.

I asked him where he'd rented it (intending to put that shop on my personal blacklist) but no, he'd bought it, full retail price. "I liked the look of the board, the guy in the shop recommended hardboots but I thought they looked uncomfortable and anyway the soft boots were loads cheaper..."

Takes all sorts, I guess.

Simon

I switched from Sorrels and duct tape to Koflachs (pink) and Elfgen two piece plates because my soft bindings murdered my feet. Comfort and performance during the dark ages! I still use Dynafit TLT AT boots for freeriding with Burton race plates, plenty of flex for powder and positive feel.

I actually rode that same setup almost. Koflach Superpipes with Nitro bindings then add the critical Elfgen tongue piece. Had to breast stroke out of a snowboarder black hole at Big Mountain. 100 yards of swimming, while laying on your board and then I go to click in and no tongue on one foot. ARRRRGGGHHHH.. :AR15firin

Also at Big Mountain several years later I see an elderly couple (at the time I was 32) 50 to 55 plus years old come off the lift with ski boots in softies. Thinking this ought to be good, I follow and watch. When they clip in not only are they wearing white rear entry boots in softs, but they are riding duck. Something like 25, -25. Both of them and the icing - both in one piece nylon ski suits.

Still chuckling and thinking they got sold a bill of goods, these two purists strap in and proceed to have a blast doing flat spins, riding switch (uh lets see in 93' we called it uhhh fakie), popping off of little hits, landing 180s all the way down the hill without stopping. In many ways these guys were in the zone than the best jib jockeys and almost up there with the trenchers. IMO. Pretty funny.