Note to New Members ×

Slope Rage

bschurman

honestly surprised the people with her didnt somehow convince themselves you were at fault, scream at you, try to fight you, and then sue you.

I woulda ripped that girl a new one. not physically, but there is nothing wrong with scolding people when they have genuinely screwed up.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I didn't have any anger, just pumped up from hearing the sound of the collision made me worry after seeing the skier was a girl.

Oh, my point was that the parents passive/aggressive behavior made me think of slope rage in reverse. I knew not to step out of my bindings and approach the girl, so I waited about 10 min to be sure nothing was seriously wrong with her. Helmets saved our bacon.

Yep, trained Muay Thai - full THai style with elbows, knees and the works for a few years - one of the guys I trained with ended up in the K1, a guy called Ray Sefo (and his brother Ronnie), another couple have ended up in K1 max.

Mind you, I think the K1 is a lot softer and easier than real Muay THai, but Ray Sefo was super sharp and quick at Muay Thai; I was terrible, especially given that I am 1/2 Thai, well Thai Chinese anyway!

And I trained here a few times, on account of my former job where looks matter (news reading, modelling, acting) I couldn't train much. Let's just say I felt very much like a beginner, the standard here is crazily high!

But as a result of getting pummelled by people who looked really soft outside the gym and were friggin machines in the ring, I have decided to avoid fights at all costs. Also, when training a lot, it gives you confidence to know that you can cause serious damage to someone with a quick elbow they won't know how to block, and then you figure, why bother, I know I think I can win. Maybe :-)

After the pain of some major leg kicks, black eyes and so on, a small hit on the slope is not so bad, although the only concussions I have had (2) both were from snowboarding.

I ride super conservatively most of the time, and despite that have had a few collisions, hence my comment; like driving a car or riding a bike, eventually you have a prang. To check uphill most turns and wait for runs to clear is great, but sooner or later it seems like the inevitable will happen... As the saying goes, God give me the strenth to forgive others, and the strength to bury all the bodies of the people who pi$$ me off :-)

KIP YOU TRAINED WITH RAY SEFO?!?!?!?!

WOW!!!!!

K1 is...well...there are some badasses, but Im more into full MMA, with groundwork and all...PRIDE is my favorite org...UFC cuz its getting large, and then ROTR, ICON, and KOTC...

some really amazing fighters in those orgs

tis true...once you learn you dont need to prove it. I have a friend that trained JKD for a long time, and he said at one point he realized he could do some real damage, and didnt want to anymore.

Yep, Ray sugarfoot was da man at our gym; only sparred with him a few times and held bag for him that sort of thing; as he is a lot bigger than me; back then I was a welterweight, and he was world champion cruiser weight; a big difference. Was well happy to hold my own with him once in knee sparring (which was about my best point!)

Other guys you might know who I trained with far more: Jason Vamoa, Ronnie Slyman Sefu and Mike Angrove, who was involved in K1 somehow....

While these guys were really very good, and so quick for big guys, the standard here is on another planet; I've trained at the same gym as one of the top 10 Lumpini fighters; you are talking far better physical shape, harder training and just more all round technique; the guy has over 100 fights under his belt and he is 19 I think.

This is his day in the weeks leading to a big fight:

6am: run about 2-3 miles all on the toes

7-9am: morning training session; mostly pad work, no bag work at all, just combinations every 3 minutes with 1 minute break between round in which he does about 20 set ups before each rest

rest during day

4-6pm: afternoon session; this is hard sparring;about 80% intensity; when i saw him; 3 guys in the ring with him for knees (all also champ level), he spars with one until he takes them down or abuot 1 min is up, then the next guy who is totally fresh for 1min, then the third guy. This for 3min on, when finished the 3 min, immediately do about 20 seconds of sprint knees training with a trainer with pads....this just round after round after round for about an hour and a bit.... then sit ups then some weight training....

The subtleties are just overwhelming at a high level, and as with K1 max vs. K1, the speed is far quicker; the K1 max guys would be quite competitive here and some are already fighting here; by comparison the K1 guys are on TV, and Thai people call them the buffalos or elephants fighting meaning big and very slow.

Much like boxing really, the action (other than when Roy Jones Jnr went up in weight a few years back) is in the welters, middles, not the heavies.

You can watch champion level Mauy Thai here everyday, so we get a bit spoilt...not sure why I don't get serious about; ah yes, I remember, I am not any good and a wimp!

The UFC style fighting is good, but to be honest I cannot understand a lot of the subtelty of it, when commentated well though it be well cool :-)

my friend who did wing chun was the same; once it got to sticky fingers, where you are learning how to completely screw someone up, he quit. That is a very cool art actually, just so efficient, I think JKD has taken the inclose elements of Wing CHun and combined with a ton of other things AFAIK....

D Sub

D Terminata in D ring :-)

You got to admit this is getting scary; you like drum and bass, I like DnB. You know Muay Thai, I know Muay Thai. You snowboard I snowboard....well just to dispel any issues, I don't think we should watch brokeback mountain together aiight?!

I've trained in muay thai for a couple years and frankly, it wouldn't mean much on the slopes. Try throwing a roundhouse kick to someone's body/head in hardboots, ski jacket, gloves etc. on a snow covered incline and I'd be willing to bet, it wouldn't be effective. It would probably be so slow and akward, they person would move out of the way. Any confrontation on the hill will most likely result in a couple sucker punches and if it does escalate, it would turn into a goofy wrestling match with two people sliding down the hill.

Best advice, avoid it all. or challenge the person when you have regular street clothes and shoes on. Even then, you should avoid it.

my approuch is that punching someone out wouldnt really change anything...cept you might end up in jail. I trained in kempo, kung fu and folkstyle wrestling for years and yeah, with hardboots and helmet and everything, it would be a pathetic fight.

If someone does anything on the slopes that endangered someone's life more without reason, then they deserve to get their ticket clipped or just reported to the rangers or patrol.

Can you spinning pile-driver them from 30 feet up in the air like Zangief can? Hadouuuuuuken!

That was my specialty finishing move:eplus2: All over Mass. people knew it was coming. Everyone would be like, "ooo damn, thats Gleb. He's a tough Mofo:biggthump "

god damn i miss wrestling! Defintly helped out my snowboarding so far. Strength and also the percerverance factor.

I also think i wanna whip out my ol' sega and have some street fighter action tonight with a few brews:)

on topic now, i remeber that two years ago when i first started skiing at wachusett, I went skiing during the wrestling season which was a big :nono: because of the risk of getting hurt. A little girl cut me off and I ended up almost in the snow making equipment with a screwed up shoulder. Never told my coach, but i defintly learned my lesson.

I saw something similar to the steamboat incident last year at bromley in VT. It was the last run of the day and me and my friends were riding down a winding green run just having a fun run. It was a pretty busy trail, as most greens in NE are. One part of the run had a few rollers. I was stopped on the side of the trail looking up at a friend and i saw a dad and mom on skiies and a little girl laying on the backside of one of the rollers. then a snowboarder comes over the roller and barely misses the girl. stops to see if she is ok when the dad goes over, pushes the kid on the snowboard to the ground and gets on top of him and then grabs the kid's gogles to lift his head and then proceeds to punch the kid in the head repeatedly, then grabs the kid's board(step-in bindings) rips it off his feet and throws the board down the hill, i stopped the board from flying further down than me. Ski patrol had to break it up, took witness statements. The guy was yelling the whole time about stupid f-in snowboarders.

Maybe he shouldn't leave his daughter laying on the snow where she can't be seen from above.

It sucks that there are even *******s at the places that were build purely for enjoyment of sliding on snow. Can't we all just lighten up, it's only snowboarding/skiing-it's not that crucial...

my approuch is that punching someone out wouldnt really change anything...cept you might end up in jail. I trained in kempo, kung fu and folkstyle wrestling for years and yeah, with hardboots and helmet and everything, it would be a pathetic fight.

If someone does anything on the slopes that endangered someone's life more without reason, then they deserve to get their ticket clipped or just reported to the rangers or patrol.

Well i have been in a few situations where it came to punches, all with skiers :-0

Muay Thai (if trained Thai style) has a lot of emphasis on the teep (push kick) and the elbows and grappling with knees. So, the push kick is easy enough to keep someone away from you, and if someone is stupid enough to punch at someone in a helmet ?! well, I suppose you could do a quick knee to their thigh and take 'em down. Without helmet, elbows are the most lethal attack weapon in Muay Thai, because people have no idea how to defend and also because it is super quick....I have seen a few Americans on TV doing Muay Thai, and other than the K1, it looks a little more like a freestyle combination of martial arts than Muay Thai alone.

It is the classic raise both hands in the air like bEAVIS in the I am cornholeo section, and say I don't want to fight I don't want to fight, then within range unleash an elbow, and that's it, the guy is getting stitches and is either concussed or close.

Doing a roundhouse style kick or the 'jeerakai fahd hahng' (the spinning tail of the crocodile) where you go around into a spin then kick the guy in the head with your heel (strictly a show off finishing move); well I am not sure that wearing ski boots and doing that woudl be too easy...soft boots maybe.

Best approach? Walk away. If that doesn't work say sorry and walk away. and it that still doesn't work, well then the 'I don't want a fight' is the last resort.

Who on earth is Zangeif?

Kip a roundhouse with hardboots on would be extremely difficult if not impossible. I'm a blue belt in Kenpo and in sparring the roundhouse is a favorite of mine. I can tell you from experience this is a difficult move even without all the extra weight that would be added by the hardboots, not to mention the traction/balance problems caused by the snow. Probably'd pull a groin even trying this move under ideal conditions....as my instructor says, just walk away, fighting is a last resort.

Be careful,

Paul

BTW Neil that's hilarious!!!

A coupla of stories.....

The weekly paper that comes out of Granby, CO- a skiier writes to the editor to publish an apology for hitting a child while he was hotdogging the green slope when he was visiting one weekend from Denver. He was pummeled in reply letters for about a 2 more weeks. So there is a feeling of "snow rage" out there....

My daughter skis and she loves to bomb the hill-no good and I tell her she's GOT to learn to turn and traverse. I ride with her and I'm looking out for the jibbers who also bomb the hill getting back to the lift so they can get back to the terrain park(Why learn how to turn?). I would have no problem b*tching out a jibber who would hit Katie but, after I checked her out, I would remind her that she needs to turn and tranverse for the same reason-that's how you control your speed. BUT, my experience as a parent tells me that TOO many parents don't want to correct their kids, they want to be "buds" with their kids.

I agree about following the rules of the hill, but TOO many people think the rules apply to someone else, not them

TOO many people ski/ride over their skillset and it's easier to b*tch out someone else when you make a mistake

TOO many people are ready to blame the rider because of the "rebel" media portrayal of riders

So I will continue to check uphill and listen for skidders and skiiers-because I know it's "always" my fault

totally caught that guy flat footed. So if I'm watching the video right, the guy that's doing all the yelling is the kid that works on the mountain and the guy that throws the punch is a visiting skier/boarder? Looks like he should have kept his mouth shut and left well enough alone....live and learn.

Be safe,

Paul

I didnt think anyone worked there...just a beef, and a typical one with someone yelling and screaming, thinking theyre "scaring" the other guy then KABLAM!

that was lightning fast, in snow clothes no doubt!

edit..just heard the "works here" thing

that dude trains, no doubt. it was a perfect right, then he goes for the choke in the north/south position, and of course the other dude is yelling and screaming even after getting his ass kicked.

hilarious

I actually saw a skier and a border get into a fist fight on the slope yesterday at Mt. Rose. I didn’t see what started the whole thing but it looked like the skier chased down the guy on the board and kind of hit him from behind. The border then spun around and they had each other by the coats and were sliding. Someone (not sure who) threw a punch and the skier fell down. The border stopped about 50 feet away and started yelling at the guy to bring it on and then took off his gloves and put them in his coat. So the skier rides up to the guy and they exchanged a few blows before the border pushed him to the ground grabbed the back of his coat by the waist and pulled it over the guys head. He then punched him in the face a few times and rode off. By the time the skier got untangled from his coat the border was gone.