Note to New Members ×

Slope Rage

bschurman

Guest powderprincess

I saw a skiier take his poles and purposely clothesline another guy down the hill from him. It was intentional and 100% messed up. Clearly another person with major issues.

I've also been taken out by 7 year olds who don't know what they are doing. Grrr, but what are ya going to do?

Stuff happens. Wear a helmet. Never beat people up.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest powderprincess
I feel sorry for the 7 year old. :( She's got 10+ years more of living with a f****** animal. :angryfire

Good but sad point. A model like that whako is not good for anybody! Poor girl :(

I know youre not defending the guy, and we dont know all the facts, but you're claiming that you "instinctively" felt that there was a genuine threat to your baby when a three year old shoved her? I just don't see how your instincts could have interpreted that situation as a genuine threat worthy of a physical reaction on your part, and I definitely dont see how this other fella could have either.

Guys please don't interpret me as defending this guy that beat up a 16 year old.

D-Sub I guess instictively wasn't a good choice of words. It's not my instinct to beat up on three year olds whom don't know right from wrong. Nor is it my place to disipline other peoples childeren. What I was trying to say was there was no thought process in my actions and it just was second nature to go into a defensive mode for my child. I'm sure this guy had a lot of that going on too, but he took it way too far.

Lesson learned for me. It's just too bad for this guy that he's going to have to learn the hard way and that somebody got hurt in the process.

for standing at the top of the hill and stepping into my bindings. I had just come off the lift and was waiting for a clearing to start my run, when I feel someone run into me from behind. I look back and this big goofy looking kid on a snowboard has slid into me while I'm standing completely still with my board sideways. I look back and say "whoa partner, watch out there" and take a step forward when I hear this voice behind me say " if you weren't taking up the whole damn mountain with your board maybe people could get through". I turn around again and this 50ish looking guy on a pair of ski's is staring me down. I tell him "well I was here before you and your boy ran into me" he than asks me "do you wrestle?", I cock my head sideways and say "no, I practice kenpo, why" he than procedes to say "ya well I gotta gun in my car pal, whadya think about that?" I tell him, well, maybe we should talk to the ski patrol to which he goes speeding off trying to catch up to his son or what ever he was. I got down to the bottom and contacted the patrol, but we never did find the guy. It was the most surreal experience I've ever had while doing a sport. Some people just have no brains.... :rolleyes:

In the early '90s I was taking the zipperline down through some bumps. In my peripheral vision I saw a guy standing down the slope and off to the side a bit. As I got closer, it seemed he was talking to someone. I was still zipperlining with a good head of speed when I realized that there was a little girl (maybe 5-6 yrs.) laying in trough of a bump about 5 bumps in front of me. I immediately put on the brakes. I skidded the next few bumps quite effectively and the finish was like a movie where they were disarming a bomb down to 1 second left - I skidded literally within inches of this little girl. I stopped on my heelside about 5 inches from her body. She was silent at that point. I asked her if she was OK and if I could help her up. I was interrupted by her father who started SCREAMING at me explatives left and right. The guy was off the hook. I thought that was bad until I saw him taking his pole straps off and one pole flew by my head (remember I am inches from his daughter). He threw the second pole and missed and I scooted out away from his daughter. He started getting out of his skis and I was outta there. I took off down to the lift and my friend joined me on the chair. He told me that he came upon the incident and saw the whole thing from a distance. He also told me that he was getting ready to tackle the guy if he got out of his skis.

In the end, I just have a good story to tell.

10 years ago I was riding up the lift of a beginner hill when I saw a 240# skier mow down (fairly slow speed) my ten year old son on a snowboard. What made it worse was the guy was standing over my son talking in a loud voice. Not a good thing for me to contain.

Instead of leaping into the air on my allmountain board and stomping the guys face, I stopped up the hill by my son first. It turned out the guy was a beginner that was so embarrassed that he was yelling at himself for being clueless on skis and my son didn't get hurt. That was way too close.

I had something similar happen one day while I was patrolling. I got called to an incident on one of our expert slopes. I rolled up on scene and it was a circus. Little girl laying in the snow crying, mom trying to calm her. Her dad was just about to drop the gloves with a 14 yr old snowboarder and his buddy. One of them hit the little girl when she suddenly moved into the trail from the place she had been stopped. It looked like a ski gear bomb went off. There was crap everywhere. I quickly checked to see if the girl was ok. She was just scared and not really injured. Then I had to go keep dad from whipping the kid. Luckily he backed down when I mentioned possible jail time for assualt. It was pretty tense for a few minutes. I was glad that I was much bigger than any of them had it come to blows. I was sure happy to see other patrollers show up too. Good times, Good times.

________

Almma cam

i was doing some 'lay-downs' on a brand new virus hurricane ultimate, on a wide open glacier resort. a sixth sence get alarmed and i tucked my head between the knees (in full carving modus..!) when a totally out-of-control telemark beginner used me as a kicker, sailed over the glacier and detonated on the slope, maybe 20meters below. at this time we were 5 (!) people on the really big glacier... he broke one ski stik on my helmet and killed the deck on the nose... at least no body gets hurt:freak3:

Reminds me about the only time I went to St-Saveur last year… It was on the Friday evening if I recall correctly, first run, I was carving with a soft setup back then. So here I am, enjoying the empty slope, and then a 4-years-old kid on skis pops out from the tree-line right in front of me… I did this “clown on fire” thing missing him by a few inches, flipped over a few times and ended up in the trench… So I’m laying down there, cursing and kid’s dad (on skis as well) shows up: “Are you ok dear?” @#$@#$@$#))(*@#$hole! No I haven’t beaten the **** out of him, but felt like it… Don’t think it would have changed anything… In my lifetime I’ve learned the hard way that the only thing which will change a moron is his grave…

if i was in the same situation as the guy, I do not know what I would've done. Most defintly i wouldn't have gone in swinging but then again, i can imagine what it must feel like to see one of your children almost get hurt.

I had a close call last week when I was going into a toe side and I look up and a little kid is coming down pretty fast. at that instant i had two choices to make. I could just kind of kneel down so I wouldn't get too hurt, but then the kid would've hit into my helmet and probably gone rolling down the mountain. My other choice was to wrap my arms around him and use his momentum to swing him around causing us to fall, with him on top so he wouldnt get hurt. Good thing i chose the second option. It was defintaly an eye opening experience and instead of an injury, we walked away with a in awe of what just happend. It was kind of cool.

Also, it was both of our faults for what happend. I didn't look up to see if anyone was coming in time, and he was just straightlining. Its all good. Live and learn.

Also, it was both of our faults for what happend. I didn't look up to see if anyone was coming in time, and he was just straightlining. Its all good. Live and learn.

Maybe I am not understanding the situation correctly, but it is not your responsibility when making turns to look uphill to see if anyone is going to hit you.

Pertinent parts of the code:

1. Always stay in control, and be able to stop or avoid other people or objects.
  2. People ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to avoid them.
  3. You must not stop where you obstruct a trail, or are not visible from above.
  4. Whenever starting downhill or merging into a trail, look uphill and yield to others.

It sounds like you were ahead of him and he hit you. There is no dual fault in that - he was out of control.

It sounds like you were ahead of him and he hit you. There is no dual fault in that - he was out of control.

True - but as my father says about driving right of way rules - "you'd be right - dead right". I think it's always prudent to be aware of your surroundings and know what's coming, especially before ripping that big turn across the whole run.

True - but as my father says about driving right of way rules - "you'd be right - dead right". I think it's always prudent to be aware of your surroundings and know what's coming, especially before ripping that big turn across the whole run.

I agree - so much so that I am always throwing a look uphill before rolling one across the hill. My point was just that we should not take the blame for knuckleheads.

ya i guess both of you are right. I left out that I was doing little back and forth carves then got to a point where i was able to get a nice big turn in. I did it without warning. In court, I would win, but i was guitly as well. He is just more guilty.

Pertinent parts of the code:

1. People ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to avoid them.

Could somebody please expain this to the "expert" - skiers? I had to brake or change direction while traversing the slope so many times because of some pro-mofo-skiers appearing from behind me... By now I feel normal checking "blind spots" as often as possible... Maybe it's just in Quebec, people are taking the same attitudes on the slopes as they have on public roads... :angryfire

On Mammoth, I tucked chair 2 from the top, blasted around that bend to get to what used to be chair 18, and was doing maybe 50km around the bend; unfortunately another guy was tucking on skis to get to the chair that goes to the warming hut side, and ran right into me from behind as I swung around the bend and cut off his line.

Next thing I knew, I woke up nearly in the trees, with no hat, a HUGE chip out of my board and he was in full yard sale as well. First thing I checked was that I didn't lose any teeth.

There was a decent crowd half saying, 'kill the boarder' the other half saying 'idiot skier'.

Fortunately we just looked at each other, both with nice concussion headaches and started laughing; patted eachother on the back, checked we both hadn't broke anything and that was that. Ronnie McCoy fixed up the board for free when he heard the story, so all is well that ends well.

This is a sport of speed and danger sometimes; neither of us should have been going that fast and we paid the price with a huge explosion. I could have picked a fight, and some of the crowd wanted me to; the remainder were trying to egg on the skier; but at the end of the day I didn't lose any teeth; and so no reason to push the guy and risk that he was actually a boxer or something that could punch out some. I am confident enough of being able to lay out some one eventually with Muay Thai elbows and knees to back me up, hell a big kick to someone's knee with a boot on and they won't be skiing again that season but you get hit in boxing or Thai boxing; plus what is this fight going to prove? That I can ride? That I score lots of girls? That I have big cahones? Screw that; forgive and get back no the run.

I don't think the whole yelling and getting excited thing helps, and the only time violence solves something is in the ring yo yo yo and that's totally emotionless violence and mighty good fun.

I think getting cut off is just inevitable when you turn like we do. Life is short. Why waste time getting all stressed out about the bozos?>

I think getting cut off is just inevitable when you turn like we do. Life is short. Why waste time getting all stressed out about the bozos?>

Not stressed, just doing crash avoidance. With the type of carving I/we do I cannot afford another crash. I was totally taken out my a skier about 10 years ago- very bad. Finished my day and I was so sore could not ride for a week. Nothing broken. Now I seem to have a sixth sense when someone is coming up on me, fast erratic skiers - whatever. My kung fu is not strong but my sense on the slope is excellent.

Point is don't accept crashes as part of the game. In 15 years of riding that is the only significant crash I was involved except for those two bozos in Crested Butte who actually begged me to run into them, but that is another story. No one hurt there.

Point is don't accept crashes as part of the game.

I knock on everything I can get my hands on. But I am still not going to accept that crashes just happen. I don't believe that. It comes to arrogance or recklessness meets unawareness.

Now I am probably going to have my as$ handed to me. But we create our world to some extent. And I am going to believe that I can snowboard until I can't without having a major crash, and I can do it while going off like a big dog. You are what you believe.

Two weeks ago on an empty midweek day, I turned mid-run to wait for my friend and his son on a medium pitch run at Kirkwood. I saw a skier above following the edge of the run so I slowed/stopped enough for the skier to pass safely before getting completely over. Slowly the skier began to drift toward my position which I thought was attitude on the skiers part until it was clear that the skier was looking at her boots.

Unfortunately the skier fell backward in surprise when I yelled and couldn't turn when she hit me. As we collided I pushed off the snow and spun around ( surfing move ) as she hit which worked really well for turning a splat into a glancing blow. We hit helmets, shoulders, hips, and knees sending a 135# 20 year old girl to a 720* off a 170# boarder and the full yardsale below.

Thankfully, the girl only had deep bruising, but check this out, her parents had seen the whole thing and didn't even ask if I was ok or apologized. They just shielded their daughter who was crying about not looking where she was going. All the while the parents are giving me dismissive glances as I am asking the girl if she is ok. I don't even want to know what she felt like when the shock wore off. My knee is still tender, and I had impact shorts on too, but my Coiler didn't get a scratch. :D

I once leaned out of a car at 20mph to slap my cousins butt. That move almost yanked me out of the car and my cousin had a bruise for weeks and that was about the skiers speed at Kirkwood.