Note to New Members ×

ow.

Aisling

Will Ais recover in time for ECES?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Will Ais recover in time for ECES?

• Yes, and she will r0x0r!
    • No, she'll just have to watch with a forlorn look in her eyes.

I'm only in my 20s and I'm having crazy things happen to my body. Had an MRI on sunday and revealed a herniated disk. I really have no idea how this happened... kind of spontaneously had pain last week and the only thing that made me go to the dr. was the fact my fingers were getting numb in my right hand.

of course they neglected to tell me whether it was in my neck or further down the cervical line, but at any rate I am currently on orders to cease and desist 'excessive' athletic activity at least until I see my dr. on thurs.

Maybe I should stop doing cartwheels off of cement stairways. oh well.

i'm really just venting... but maybe you all can just hope I don't need surgery and it will be so.

:(

Actually 2 people told me to avoid a chiropractor. Both had their disks ruptured by a chiro who either a) didn't pay attention to the x-ray and MRI report or b) didn't know how to read it. Both people wound up having to have a spinal fusion done... not a fun surgery (not that any surgery is fun). Basically they take a part of bone from your hip, open up your neck from the front and fuse that bone in there after removing the ruptured disk. you also get 2 fun metal pins placed in there. whee!

so anyway, you can see why i'm hoping i don't need surgery.

i'm biting at the bit as it is... a few folks i know are heading out riding this weekend. how jealous am i...

Originally posted by Aisling

Actually 2 people told me to avoid a chiropractor.

The key is to find a *good* chiropractor. I'm sure there are a lot of bad ones who can do more harm than good but there are also some very good ones out there. Mine has worked wonders on the rotator cuff I tore boarding last January and also some hip problems I didn't know I had. (I no longer need 9 or 10 degrees of heel lift on the back foot!) In both cases joint trauma and pinched nerves were taking away part of my range of motion. (Pinched nerves don't always hurt or make you numb - sometimes they just take away strength or range of motion)

If you're in PDX and want her info, let me know...

Welcome to the wonderful world of a herniated disk. For about 2 years I had a nagging thing...I found that if I had to stand for a long time I would get a pain in my left butt cheek...as a typical guy I ignored it....Prior to last season I woke up one morning and couldn't stand up straight...my left lumbar muscle was sticking out and spasming...the pain was unbelievable...I ended up driving myself to the ER... after trying muscle relaxors and taking x-rays they told me it was nothing but a back spasm.... so after about a week of going to a chiropractor and my lumbar continuing to spasm I TOLD my PCP I wanted an MRI... he was reluctant to do so but authorized it...as it turns out my L4ish L5ish (lower lumbar area) had a herniated disk, and to boot they told me that if it wasn't for my large spinal canal, it's possible that I would be in very bad shape...I asked them if this met I wasn't going to be able to board/bike/golf/etc....they told me to let "pain be my guide" and sent me to PT....so for about 6 months I had pain radiating down my sciatic nerve all the time and occasionally would be bent sideways a bit because of my lumber muscle...sooooo.... after deciding on my own that PT wasn't enough...I started yoga as well (a few folks on this board recommended it).... I am now nearly pain free and it seems better by each passing month.... so there is a good chance you will be on your board this season.... though take it easy until you hear from your doc... once you know where the herniated disk is do some research...if I remember correctly I found a wealth of info on WEBMD... try this link for starts

http://my.webmd.com/search/search_results?query=herniated+disk&filter=mywebmd_all_filter

if you have any question feel free to email me trenchcarver@yahoo.com

-Jasen

you're lucky and smart... a herniated disk in the lumbar area is a lot rarer than in the cervical area where mine is located.

good thing you pressed your MD on the MRI. mine made me get one ultra STAT because of the loss of feeling in my hand and arm. But not many folks are as lucky as I am... my PCP is the head of general med. at the hospital i go to so he's really great. :)

i will take a looksee over on webMD, thanks so much for the info, i really need to ride and dance and do all those things because I am one stir crazy individual. LOL

Originally posted by Aisling

Actually 2 people told me to avoid a chiropractor. Both had their disks ruptured by a chiro who either a) didn't pay attention to the x-ray and MRI report or b) didn't know how to read it.

I'm having a bit of a hard time swallowing this--but that's not to say it didn't happen. I've had good experiences with chiropractic, with very few exceptions--and the exceptions all involved slightly older, "old-school" chiropractors. The profession has changed a lot over the last few years, and even the AMA has had to accept that it is legit--there are even some medical doctors who are also fully accredited chiropractors.

A good chiropractor should recommend surgery if it is required--and a good surgeon should recommend chiropractic if it is indicated. However, personal and professional egos sometimes get a little overinflated, and it is up to you to do the research and make the right choice. Find a good chiropractor who has graduated within the last decade, and at least ask about your options before the surgeons start cutting.

as far as numbness goes, if I lean just right... say up against a railing I get tingles and numbness...

and you had mentioned that it just happened and you can't think of how... well it was the same with me... then I started to think way back and realized that a year or two prior to developing the standing pain... I was body slammed by a rather large friend.... and I remembered my back hurt for a while after that... remember... herniated disks don't just happen per-se.... they are degenerative and the cause could have occurred months or years ago....

the chiro did help to an extent, but PT and yoga helped MORE

everyone is different... and like a few of us have said... research and get as much info as you can

Oh it definitely did happen. i know hard to believe it happened to not one but 2 different people...but one was my mom, i was there for her surgery and another was a n urse i work with. most likely the chiropractors were as you say 'old school'...

believe me, i'm getting a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th opinion before i let anyone cut me!!

i'm actually looking into acupuncture or acupressure to relieve some of the pain.

has anyone had any experience with either of those options?

thanks everyone for the info, you're all great! :cool:

Originally posted by Mellow Yellow

and you had mentioned that it just happened and you can't think of how... well it was the same with me... then I started to think way back and realized that a year or two prior to developing the standing pain... I was body slammed by a rather large friend.... and I remembered my back hurt for a while after that... remember... herniated disks don't just happen per-se.... they are degenerative and the cause could have occurred months or years ago....

LOL how large was your friend!!??

hmm.... well the only thing i can think of would be almost 5 yrs back... i was doing a performance ... (i do a bunch of things, one of which is amateur contortionism) and i went to do a contortionist move where you lay flat on your belly and have your hips and legs come from behind and over your shoulders. well, this particular stage wasn't set right and instead of landing my feet next to my head, my feet went further off the stage and i wound up having the momentum cause me to fall over. i was fine, and actually landed on my feet, but folks watching said it appeared as though i broke my neck.

but that was a long time ago... i suppose though it's possible...

I think it was mellow yellow talking about the standing and left butt pain, I had similar symptoms and was diagnosed with spinal stenosis which is a small spinal column canal and nerve openings. After two years of trying everything (except yoga), it spread over to the right side as well and eventually I felt pretty crippled. Long story short, went under the knife with a surgical dremel tool and they bore out some of the narrow openings and I've been pain free since, 7 years. Believe it or not I was actually in and out in the same day, sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. Good luck to all with back pain, for me it was a literal pain in the ass.

i have had poor luck with the chiro, who did alot more damage than good. the accupuncture has helped a tremendous amount, as well as general overall fitness, flexibility etc. i was injured when i was 21 playing lacrosse. i actually felt the disc move. i thought i pulled a hamstring. the doc i went to about 8 months later said "pain good, numbness bad and that in a few years when the disc disintegrates and releases the pressure on the nerve life will get better. he would not operate because i was too young and active. needless to say, it has got better 15 years down the road with the occasional spasm and frequent old man aches. good luck. im sure you will ride this year!:D

Originally posted by Bob Jenney

Hey Ash,

Give me a ring or zip me an email. I've got a guy in Bedford who's fantastic.

Many years ago, I broke 3 ribs clean through near the spine and fractured 2 vertebrae. I was due to hit the track nationals which were also the Olympic trails for the '92 Olympics, in 5 months. (Ended up with 4th place BTW. They took 2 to the Olympics.)

He had me back on the bike in 3.5 months.

He's a minimalist for sure, which I why I have used him for going on 15 years.

Worth getting an opinion.

Bob I am lame and I lost your email addie... :eek:

send me a note please! thanks!

you may have C6/C7 trouble. the symptoms relate to where the problem stems from. i had similar symptoms 18 months ago. just a chronic sore neck now. i don't have chiro neck adjustments anymore. made it worse. try massage, yoga, acupuncture. i also went for physio for sport related injuries. neck stretching and gentle manipulation. use surgery as a last resort. give it time. good luck. see you at eces

stopped riding my rigid mountain bike and installed a plush fork with riser bars for a more upright posture. still ride lots.

My aunt is theripest she often does rehab for the problems that they either worsen or create.

shes says that most real doctors really do not know enough to properly diagnose many patients with back or neck problems never mind a chiropractor who has way less training than a doctor

there are good chiropractors but you would be better off seeing a good doctor

the bottom line is see a few different doctors and go from there

Originally posted by ARCrider

you may have C6/C7 trouble. the symptoms relate to where the problem stems from. i had similar symptoms 18 months ago. just a chronic sore neck now. i don't have chiro neck adjustments anymore. made it worse. try massage, yoga, acupuncture. i also went for physio for sport related injuries. neck stretching and gentle manipulation. use surgery as a last resort. give it time. good luck. see you at eces

stopped riding my rigid mountain bike and installed a plush fork with riser bars for a more upright posture. still ride lots.

i found out it is C5-C6 that is herniated. my PCP doesn't think i need surgery but he is setting me up with an appointment with the spinal surgeon anyway to get his opinion. as of now i have to quit dancing which is very depressing, for the next 6 wks or until i feel absolutely no pain in my neck or in my arm/elbow/wrist and fingers. also have to wear that oh so fashionable accessory the soft cervical collar.

i am going to try to find a nice acupuncturist in the mean time. if anyone knows one around boston or MA in general, let me know.

i do yoga at home on my own mat so i'll bump up my activity with that i guess.

thanks everyone for your kindness and ideas.

A girlfriend of ming said dat day made her watch a tape of why it was important to be naked for correct Kiro practic verk too be performed zo she did!

Come on, vhat a snow job! I laughed so hard schlogel Koogel came out my nose, I mean what the F!$#$,

I have bone spurs in C4, and C5 dat give me all kinds of trouble but I did not need to show him my Knobble Klachers !

So any merit to this! Give her a call she could use some guidance on this one!

Right said Shred;) :p :eek:

No way, how how. It's bull****. My chiro only works on fully clothed patients, and I've often been amazed at how much she can tell by watching me walk into her office. Treatment has been much like physical therapy - after she manipulates something she gives me a list of exercises to do to build stength in the area and prevent slipping back to where I was.

Like I said before you;re throwing the dice with chiropractors. I tend to think there's a pretty high quack-density among them but a good one is a great find.

Originally posted by Bob Jenney

Hey Ash,

You want the best opinion you could possibly get? Call Sports Medicine North. (781) 595-4562

A friend of mine Dr. Ira Evans is one of the owners. He's top notch! Rebuilt many a knee and shoulder for other friends who partake in aggressive sports. You should ask for him although you may not get him. They have an amazing staff though.

Can't say enough about these guys.

Also, I think you got the back injury from the corset. You're supposed to ease into that, not crank it up right of the bat.

hm i wonder if they take new patients or if my insurance would cover... i'd prolly need a referral, no?

i could ask him about the crackling in my knees! LOL

haha, nah actually the corset helps support my back (and front!! :p) LOL and keeps everything in alignment back there. i'm thinking it's either from that crazy contortionist move i did yrs ago or else maybe from all the high kicks in dance... hmm... or maybe from doing jumps before i was ready on my board... or maybe from doing cartwheels off of steps...

i mean, i'm so careful, i don't know what it could be.

;)

Originally posted by Mike T

No way, how how. It's bull****. My chiro only works on fully clothed patients, and I've often been amazed at how much she can tell by watching me walk into her office. Treatment has been much like physical therapy - after she manipulates something she gives me a list of exercises to do to build stength in the area and prevent slipping back to where I was.

Like I said before you;re throwing the dice with chiropractors. I tend to think there's a pretty high quack-density among them but a good one is a great find.

Too true. Plus, a good chiro will not simply barge in and make the joints pop--in fact, on many occasions when my chiro worked on me there was no "cracking" at all. There was a fair bit of massage and muscle work as well as manipulation, too.

As far as the comment about lack of training, yes chiros spend less time in school--but the bulk of it is spent studying the spine and the rest of the skeleton, whereas doctors have to study everything from the common cold to jaundice to lung cancer.

Whoever you see, just don't let them cut you too fast--do lots of research.

Originally posted by GeoffG

Too true. Plus, a good chiro will not simply barge in and make the joints pop--in fact, on many occasions when my chiro worked on me there was no "cracking" at all. There was a fair bit of massage and muscle work as well as manipulation, too.

Sounds like your chiro is a lot like mine! I have to admit I think her more as "the great masseuse/personal trainer in the sky".