Note to New Members ×

Jewell's meddling rival tries to knock him off team?

Mr. Colon

“He paid for all his own training,” she said. “He dug ditches for a cement plant in Oregon. He sold sausages at county fairs. He worked for a catering company. The only sponsor he has is Welch’s grape juice ’cause they’re in Concord. But that didn’t stop him.”

No, in fact, Jewell spent last summer living in a $29 tent in Colorado to save the $750 a month he would have spent in rent. He had no electricity, no running water and ate his meals in a hospital because the food was nutritious and cheap.

I can just picture my kids doing that - NOT!

One bad thing for you guys in the States - one rider in PGS means zero TV coverage. Maybe this controversy will stir up interest.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who would you say are the likely top 5 men we should be watching?

The Swiss bloc - Simon Schoch, Philipp Schoch, Heinz Inniger, Gilles Jaquet, and Austrian Sigi Grabner.

Of course, the Olympics are always good for an upset, and underdogs digging deep to pull a medal out of thin air. Underdogs to watch are Mathieu Bozzetto, Jasey Jay Anderson, Nocolas Huet, Richard Rikardsson, the Hermanator's brother Alexander Maier, and of course Tyler Jewell and/or Chris Klug. (was a decision made last night???)

I just assume these people are all going, maybe some of them didn't make their teams. I'm basing this off WC points and past olympic experience.

Guest bubbatreacy

I've been reading all these posts and they have gone a bit wild. But I believe everyone is on the same page now which is great. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

A couple comments-<o:p></o:p>

I don't agree with what Klug is doing because he went through this before 4 years ago, is there record of him complaining about the scoring system then, assuming it was the same?<o:p></o:p>

Both have a great story, as a friend of Tyler's we heard his character was being questioned so we rushed to this site to defend him as he is a great friend, an extremely hard worker, and an amazing competitor. I don't believe his character ever was questioned on this site so sorry for the quick reactions.<o:p></o:p>

As a <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">US</st1:place></st1:country-region> citizen and fan of The Games, I don't care about anyone's back story. If Donald Trump's kid was the best alpine snowboarder for the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">US</st1:place></st1:country-region> without making any sacrifices, he should have just as much right to go and I would want him to go.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

I do feel, and maybe it’s unfounded but, Klug would be appealing if he had <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Tyler</st1:place></st1:City>’s score. I don’t believe he cares about the scoring system I think he just wants to go and therefore the hearing is selfish. I know <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Tyler</st1:City></st1:place> would not have done this if the table was turned either.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

<o:p>I also think it was lame to be quoted saying he wanted "Tyler's spot". He should have been more diplomatic about it and shouldn't have named names. I believe that vilified Tyler.</o:p>

On a better note, when <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Tyler</st1:place></st1:City> is confirmed this publicity should be great for him and the sport. Hopefully will see <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Tyler</st1:place></st1:City> in some commercials!<o:p></o:p>

gerson...you snooze you lose...

you clearly missed the controversial deleted thread pertaining to Tyler's spot...

My Bad! I did not mean to stir up bad blood on this issue. I guess thats what happens when you search for threads that have been deleted. :nono:

However, thanks for all the insights; I now have a better understanding of this article and the issue at large. IMHO who ever goes Good Luck and Go for the Gold!

Mr. Colon

98 Olympics

Two results from three Grand Prix average of your two best results. The average used the FIS Point scale 1000 for first, 800 for second, and ect....

2002 Olympics

USSA averages your best two results from the Five selected events, 4 world cups 1 grand prix (park city). Again the AVERAGE using the FIS POINT SCALE!

2006 Olympics

If you did not finish in the top 4 in a world cup, then USSA would use the average of the best two results.

Average using the FIS Point SCALE

Again the problem is, that USSA never wrote that FIS Points would be used because it was common knowledge to the athletes that when results are average it was always with FIS Points. But in a court of Law what does the average of two results mean and is the court going to strictly interpret the text Document???

The Decision will be release today.

I think it is premature to announce a Winner. Sources inside the situation, are reporting that no decision has been made. They are going to announce something at the end of business day.(Mtn Time)

Where did you hear Jewell won???

I'm thinking it's safe to trust Jeff on this one.

I too am sorry that the stars did not align to allow both riders to go. I still admire and respect Klug for his accomplishments. I've had a chance to ride with and be coached by him a bit. From my limited time spent with Chris, I have nothing but positive things to say about the guy and wish him all the best.

I truly hope this was resolved with minimal animosity or bitterness on either side.

Really looking forward to seeing Tyler represent in Torino!! GO TYLER!

it's a shame that this controversy has come up over who should go and that we're only sending one man. I think the author of the boston article should proof read it. it mentions that tyler is the only alpine snowboarder on the team and then again as the only pgs rider. what about rosey and michele? this controversy is drawing tons of attention to 2 talented riders, but what about the rest of the team? we need to be supporting those who were chosen, whether or not we agree with it.

The Boston Papers are behind both Michelle & Tyler. Sudbury = Torino.

Chris Klug, has had a great career. It's time to move on. Tyla, it's time to bring home some hardware!!!

It's too bad Klug was a sore loser. I still can't phathom that he lied under oath, the entire arbitration. I support that the USOC. They saw right through him! 2002, was all about Klug.

2006: tuck & go, tuck & go TJ!!!

Guest Bulldog

Listen, Klug knew the rules, he knew how the scoring worked, he knew he lost and he knew he might have found a loophole to get in. What he did by challenging for a spot was just a ridiculous thing to do and EVERYONE knows that now. Those that act as though what he did was justified are only embarrassing themselves. I think the most satisfying feeling of the whole ordeal, is the fact that people that don't support Klug, people that do support klug, friends of klug, klug himself, anyone following the story..... everyone knows what he did was a desperate act and something so obviously absurd and a horrible act of sportsmanship, the only feeling one can have for him is Pity. I can not imagine what it is going to be like for klug when he wakes up one day and realizes he tried to cheat someone out of his hard earned and deserved spot on the team. I feel sorry for him.

• 2 weeks later...

Cool article. Interesting picture. Is Tyler riding on Coiler/Catek now? Last I saw he was on Tomohawk boards with Burton bindings.

Go Tyler Go! Fast!

tylerdg02102006.jpg

Oh, and everyone should go out and buy some Welch's grape juice and then email their PR team saying how surprised you are at what terrific juice it is and how you'd never have tried it if it weren't for Tyler! :biggthump