Note to New Members ×

response to the lifetime quiver thread

jdgang

I was looking though that thread and notice a distrubing trend....it seems that people who carve do the following

a. keep boards around for a long time

b. buy alot more boards than people who ride freestyle.

I sometimes browse the bruton forum every now and again and I remember a thread about what is in your quiver...http://www.burton.com/community/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=36075

it seems the average amount of boards for a freestyler is around 3 while for carvers its a lot more....

just a thought

I would bet that age has a lot to do with that. Burton's forum has a lot of young punks. The bottom line is that mommy and daddy aren't going to get them new boards as much as older boarders are willing and able to buy themselves new boards.

Once you get older and can appreciate the luxury of having different boards for different conditions/applications, you get spoiled.

I would also say that as far as keeping boards around - younger riders don't care as much about their old boards. A lot of carvers have been riding for a long time and I would bet that most of us wish we would still have our first boards (those of us who do not still have them). We also do not have to sell them to get a new one.

Guest jschal01

Having $$ to buy more definitely has something to do with it. There's also the golf driver phenomenon. I know a lot of people who, every year, plunk down something close to the cost of a board for a driver that will last indefinitely, in the hope that it will lower their handicap by, oh, roughly 20 strokes or so. It of course does not help their game, and the cycle repeats. There's something like that at work frequently for both skiing and riding, too. It's not a bad thing for the sport overall so long as the people doing it don't get discouarged and leave the sport for, say, golf, because it does help keep more gear out there.

I think it also has to do with durability of alpine boards - we tend to take better care of our equipment and don't wreck it by jibbing the random tree stump/rail/fun box, as well as the fact that alpine boards in general are usually better quality - You can buy a used 5 year old alpine deck and it usually has plenty of life left - softer freestyle boards (depending on the core) usually lose all the pop in a couple of years.

Hi All,

Speaking for myself, I have 19 yrs and around 11 freestle boards under my belt.

I didn't care about the board at all, if it wans't broke, I rode it. I rode them flat, cracked, edges ripped out and put back in with a hammer.....:biggthump

I think that is alot different than how I currently feel about my Donek.

Every year I tell myself that I'm going to sell off some boards and get down to 3 or 4 that I really like and use on a regular basis. So, each year I sell off a few....only to buy 4 or 5 more.

I was at 7 boards this fall, I sold 4.

This year I have bought.....(looks both ways to see if wife is around)....6

I'll be selling a couple more soon. I'm always buying/selling/trading.

Here's my take on the issue.

I prefer one versatile board and bindings and boots.

Since I have so much to learn, it seems easier to progress on the same gear year after year rather than relearning every time I have new gear.

I figure the difference in riding techique and style has more to do with it all than the actual gear (not that gear won't make you progress or ride better or easier, eg Swoard for EC, Coiler for racing etc...). However I am not yet at a level where I can distinguish the difference between boards for where I ride.

So I have old gear, but I'm comfortable with that.

Like an old pair of jeans.

a) Single

b) It was to good a deal to turn down

c) Its to much hassle dealing with people to sell

d) Just like Hunter S Thompson once you get an obscene amount together you may as well push it over the top.

e) I have one hell of a good looking wall during the season

f) In the soon to be formed country of Dave*topia I will be very rich

g) It beats owning gold chains or shoes

h) Nothing like the right gear on the right day

...it seems you are here only to respond to posts in a critical manner. It seems you are upset about something else, and using these forums to vent. Get out and RIDE brother! :biggthump

Sure seems like some of his angry posts seem to get deleted, either by him, or the mods... at least 4 or 5 so far today.

:boxing_sm

How different is one freestyle board from another? It could just be that I'm not into it enough to know what really sets them apart but as far as I can tell it's about the graphics as much as anything else.

Freestyle/freeride people tend to be more one-size-fits-all. If I talk to a freeride/freestyle rider about custom boards their usual response is "huh. I wouldn't know what to ask for." There are people who like having a shorter board and longer board, or wider and narrower, but that's about it.

Alpine people get passionate about having short boards, regular boards, long boards, super-long boards, boards with large and small sidecuts, different widths, square-tail vs. round tail, etc. My last three boards are almost the same length, but all different widths and different sidecuts, for different reasons.

I'm sure the age/job demographic is a big factor too though.

I am not sure I agree with the durability aspect; I am not that big and I have burned through equipment in the period I was riding a decent amount; 3 broken boards in 2 years, and I was only 67kg back then....

The Greg Prouse legend in New Zealand went through far more than that.... I'd say that a good alpine rider can seriously damage a lot of gear; a great alpine rider can perhaps protect the gear a bit by backing off.

That said, perhaps the strength of the gear has gone up; mid 90s gear was not that strong....

For sure the freestylers go in the park and hit rails and stuff, but the sheer power of hardbooting (especially in ski boots in good conditions) can be lethal for boards; and bank balances :-)

I'd put it down to most of the hardbooters here being a bit older, richer and the gear harder to buy with more variance between the gear; thus an incentive to collect and try.

Personally I like the one board fits all approach; for me that board is now the oxygen 178 proton :-)