ski boards

scotts.Scheinman

who uses them  

33 members have voted

1. 1. who uses them

• yes
    • no

Guest Randy S.

Had a set with articulating heels (think AT bindings) and just sold them to Zach Davis because I never used them. Considering a split board and maybe AT boots/skins. Also considering moving to just skis for backcountry (I know, its sacrilege, but I'm really enjoying it.

I'm with drzone - still in process of teaching my 5 yr old to ski (dad, i don't wanna snowboard1) :barf: , plus once the goomed gets chopped up I cruise with my my wife - me on blades her on skis - it's kinda nice since she can't keep up with me on a boarrd.

(and changing boots mid-day sucks)

i own a pair but i thought they were called snowblades. whatever. Basically, using them makes you a worse skier because you lose the sense of of keeping your skis straight. I loved them so much because of how easy they are but then at the same time, they aren't fast enough at all.

Last wednesday I took my friend from israel to wachusett. he has never seen more than a foot of snow. I put him on my blades and he was ripping it up in less than 3 minutes. He didnt even fall on his first run. I just love them.

Fruitbooting Is A Crime

I have not heard that term in awhile, its good to see that fad go away, just because its hard to make the point to kids that no matter how short your skis are its still skiing.

there was a old burton ad that said "short skis are like short dicks"

I view people that ride those things exclusively the same as I view the 200 pound dude riding a 144 with a 26 inch stance and no highbacks on his bindings, probably out of control and probably sport a IQ that is a single digit

I really started to hate the short skis when I was a liftie, many of those kids just were not well behaved in a few ways.

I sound like a grumpy old man but I do have well founded reason.

i own a pair but i thought they were called snowblades. whatever. Basically, using them makes you a worse skier because you lose the sense of of keeping your skis straight. I loved them so much because of how easy they are but then at the same time, they aren't fast enough at all.

I'm going to have to disagree about snowblades worsening you as a skier. You really have to be balanced on them to drive them. You certainly can't ride them on your heels. I've put racers on them before for training and they are better on their own equipment after experiencing proper balance on the blades. good ski coaching tool I think

skiboard?

is this thread about snowblades or monoskis or skwals or?

I have not heard that term in awhile, its good to see that fad go away, just because its hard to make the point to kids that no matter how short your skis are its still skiing.

there was a old burton ad that said "short skis are like short dicks"

I view people that ride those things exclusively the same as I view the 200 pound dude riding a 144 with a 26 inch stance and no highbacks on his bindings, probably out of control and probably sport a IQ that is a single digit

I really started to hate the short skis when I was a liftie, many of those kids just were not well behaved in a few ways.

I sound like a grumpy old man but I do have well founded reason.

Now now, that's stereotyping...sort of like all snowboarders are druggies in baggy pants.

You can carve them pretty good and pretty low. Like everything else, they are also so easy you see a lot of bad skiing on them.

I couldn't disagree more. they force you set both edges inorder track properly. If you only set one edge, you'll notice that the other ski is tremendously wobbly. Also, they force you to stay centered on the ski.

I too have used them as a coaching device.

Like everything else, they are also so easy you see a lot of bad skiing on them.

Are we talking splitboards here (snowboards that convert into a pair of AT skis), 'approach skis' (short skis with AT bindings) or snowblades (super-short skis, generally with 'bale' bindings)?

I know people who use both of the former, and am somewhat pulled towards a splitboard myself. However, having seen a shin snapped at the boot cuff already, I won't be going near the latter.

Simon

Now now, that's stereotyping...sort of like all snowboarders are druggies in baggy pants.

You can carve them pretty good and pretty low. Like everything else, they are also so easy you see a lot of bad skiing on them.

I never said it was not stereotyping, but I do feel that a high percentage of the people that ONLY ski on short skis are dumbasses

on a side note though has anyone noticed that many of the bindings are bomber TD1s and some of the others are cateks

I also got parts from catek awhile back and they came in a box that said Line on it, so I guess its good that our favorite binding manufacturers are getting business from these people.

I never said it was not stereotyping, but I do feel that a high percentage of the people that ONLY ski on short skis are dumbasses .

I wish I was one of those, my life is way too boring :lol:

I got these for my 31/2 daughter, she loves :1luvu: them and can ski decently on them. Hopefully I won't have to replace them for a long time (unlike skiis). I have no intention of developping her into a world class slalomer!!

http://www.skiboards.com/skiboards/elan/spidy.html (the 70cm ones, they are just adorable, but then I am bias).

In that case, no, I don't use them.

Now, I'm probably going to come across like the skiers who "don't like snowboards, they are too dangerous", but here's a quick unscientific breakdown of what we see injury-wise over a general season:

Skiers : blown knees, mainly, the occasional broken arm

Boarders : Wrists, ankles, concussions

Snowbladers : could be anything

There's not really more of one or the other, but of the 5 helicopter rescues (i.e. serious hospitalise or die deal) we had where I work last year, 4 were snowblade users. The other one was a guy who had a heart attack on the slopes. snowblade injuries do seem to be more serious.

Why does this happen?

1 : Non-releasing bindings (the majority of snowblades etc have bale bindings, not 'safety' bindings, although that is changing)

2 : Ease of use - pretty much anyone can get down almost any slope with them, no skill involved. So you have beginners hurtling completely out of control at warp speed down black slopes.

I'll say this much. Of all the people I know that work on the slopes over here, not one of them has a pair. Although I know a few who have ultra-short carving skis...

Simon

I couldn't disagree more. they force you set both edges inorder track properly. If you only set one edge, you'll notice that the other ski is tremendously wobbly. Also, they force you to stay centered on the ski.

I too have used them as a coaching device.

I don't know. Maybe thats how it worked for me. If someone is starting from scratch, they are defintly the best way to introduce someone to skiing, but after skiing for a few years, I put my snowblades on and loved them that I almost never skied for a while after that. Then on one trip, i brought my skis as well as my blades and after a day of blading, I put my skis on and i just wasn't use to the torque I had to apply to keep my skis straight. Snoblades were way too easy and made me a much worse skier (i was already pretty bad :p) . I LOVE THEM SO MUCH THOUGH!!!

EDIT:

simon, you're absolutly right about those reason. I never even thought about that. Mine have minimum edge hold so I don't do anything extreme. The weird thing is that reletivly few people snoblade but 4 out of 5 rescues are for snowbladers. Damn!

:lol: Off Topic: I played that game with my dad a few times. On April Fools i told my dad, in a very serious voice and everything, "Dad, you know how i played football and now do wrestling...well its because I'm gay." Me and my friends had a good laugh. (I'm prolly the least homophobic person i know so no offense to anyone) :)