Note to New Members ×

OT: Anyone else stuck at CES?

Guest Randy S.

Guest Randy S.

I'm stuck in Vegas at CES. Just got done watching Billy Wonka present Windows Vista (think OS X with a windows logo slapped on it) and a bunch of other Microsoft stuff (the Windows Mobile stuff was the only thing really interesting).

I'm off to get a beer with a local carver. Call my cell if any BOL folks are here in Vegas. Cell: SixFifty-291-8582.

Randy

Oh, if you have special requests of things you'd like me to check out and report back on, let me know.

I see the feature list for vista they take out at least one key feature

what the hell happened to the new file system they were promissing?

if they keep yanking features its gonna XP with a new GUI and be obsolete from day one.

I'm stuck in Vegas at CES. Just got done watching Billy Wonka present Windows Vista (think OS X with a windows logo slapped on it) and a bunch of other Microsoft stuff (the Windows Mobile stuff was the only thing really interesting).

I'm off to get a beer with a local carver. Call my cell if any BOL folks are here in Vegas. Cell: SixFifty-291-8582.

Randy

Oh, if you have special requests of things you'd like me to check out and report back on, let me know.

I was thinking of going this year, as I have some friends at some of the booths and have gone on and off for the past few years. Schedules didn't work out though.

Not sure if any of you are car audio fans, but JL Audio has a pretty sweet Legacy GT (my current ride), that I would really like to check out, particularly the stealthbox.

Crap! I wanted to go, and Nykos (game controller maker) invited me to their "hospitality room" to get liquored up (I freelance as a game journalist very occasionally and Nykos' PR folks don't seem to know the difference), but my day job is keeping me in town. Meanwhile my co-workers from my day job are checking out s*** that they don't appreciate, like the various water-cooled Xbox 360 mods I've been hearing about.

Hey Randy, if you have the chance, take a peek at those Xbox 360 cooling solutions and let me know what you think: are any of them suitable for ham-handed amateurs to self-install?

Guest Randy S.

Dan,

I'll see what I can find out. I'm not much of a gaming person so I probably can't be very critical.

Phil, I'm actually staying at the Sahara. You get what you pay for.

I just went to dinner at the Venetian. The Adult Video Industry conference/awards is in town too! :eek::biggthump Lots of silicone around. :p

Dan,

I'll see what I can find out. I'm not much of a gaming person so I probably can't be very critical.

Phil, I'm actually staying at the Sahara. You get what you pay for.

I just went to dinner at the Venetian. The Adult Video Industry conference/awards is in town too! :eek::biggthump Lots of silicone around. :p

Interestingly enough those conferences always seem to happen at the same time they have the geek shows in Vegas...

So what's the deal with Urge? Does it look like a contender?

So what's the deal with Urge? Does it look like a contender?

All-you-can-eat pricing sounds pretty interesting, doesn't it? I think they're not the only people to offer that though, are they.

Anyway, if MS decided it's important for them to compete in this arena, Urge will be a contender. They've lost about $1 billion/year on the Xbox since it launched. Compare that to Apple's $1.3 billion in income in 2005 (and just $276 million in 2004) and it's pretty clear that if MS decides to buy market share in this space they'll be able to do so.

I'd guess that Microsoft will be in the online music space until "owning the living room" isn't fashionable anymore.

Guest Randy S.

I saw the Samsung XM device but didn't play with it at all. It looks like a good form factor and if it does MP3 as well, that'd be pretty cool. I don't know if that's built in.

My first take on Urge is its just a knock-off of iTunes. Not sure of much beyond that, but I'll look into it tomorrow.