Note to New Members ×

Would you be better on Soft boots after Hard boots

Bobby Buggs

Since carving takes such an awareness of technique and proper alignment would someone that has been only carving for the last few seasons actually be better in soft boots as a result.

Im not saying if you Sucked in soft boots you would suddenly be good after learning how to carve. Has anyone gone back to soft and noticed a great difference in their riding.

You know what I mean

YESSSS!!!!!!

I have seen countless guys who slipped their freestyle turns have an epiphany after learning how to set the board on edge and pressure the edge to acheive different board performances.

They return to their soft boots, and it becomes evident that these guys know what they are doing compared everyone else...

-Noah

(p.s. - I havent forgotten to call you, just have been wicked busy...)

Yes, definitely. I TORTURED myself to get to a semi-decent level of switch on plates, and when I went back to a softboot setup - boy, I tell ya - I was RIPPING switch WAAAAAY better than I can remember myself riding switch ever before . . .

I rode softies exclusively for several years, and was a terminal intermediate... riding plates and hanging out here coincided with breaking through the barrier on my softie setup. A couple of weeks ago I was doing steeps on my softies and realized it had never been so effortless!

Absolutely. My abilities in softboots on a freestyle board (especially at alpine-like angles, 45f 37r) are at a whole new level. I had a hard time with hardboots initially, and went soft for a little while. It was a whole new ballgame. =)

Yes, but you would lament the loss of precision, unless you tighten the binding straps until your feet hurt like hell.

And your vocabulary would shrink to about 13 words, most frequently "dude" and "sick" with most of the rest ending in "-izzle."

I feel more confident in my riding abilities and I feel it shows.

I felt inspired when I went through some of my surfing videos and magazines and found images of surfing world champs Kelly Slater and Tom Curren riding switch at Pipline. So, for a few weeks I switched my soft boot bindings to goofy foot from regular to see what it was like and better my balance. Learning how to carve the edge on my alpine made it easier to do that.

Guest Pre School Rider

Yup.I've found that ideas that flow from one 'discipline' into the next within snowboarding have increased my dexterity overall,but in particular arenas first.With using softies to get 'on edge',we did all kinds of neat stuff to carve better.And heck,I've still got a few of those nifty Gnu toungue kits from '90(no Foot Pain,tweakable,and unreal toeside edging!),but moreover,the concept of toe-ramps and highback 'wings' were all played with by some of us by '93.Switch it up to hardshells,and new,more aggressive techniques for carving come into play,with more pronounced angulation and more refined moves in pressure distribution happening.Then add in the 'load-the-tail' but stay square to the hill,and oh my lordy did things come into focus!.Back on softies,using mellower angles,the concept of attacking a turn by creating torsional twist between the feet is realized.Using that idea with 'aft thrust' off of jumps gives spin rotations a new perspective,too.Put back on the hardboots,but now riding a stiffer freeriding deck,and see how well carves happen switch.Hmm,maybe getting low is a possibility backwards!!Toss the softies onto a bigger deck,and then see just how Fast you can go off of jumps,or maybe even carve from launch-to-launch?!Backwards?Maybe... Then put the hardboots back onto that new Madds,ask JG "how Low is LO?",and find that ICE dosen't really matter anymore?!? Get back on softs again,this time on a Really Big Tanker,and find that only bumps are an issue now,unless you just go Over Them,Faster...Plates on a Shorter board,but with a slight tail,hmm,how easy is it to spin 3's outa carves?Oooppss,Hard;OW! maybe next year? So it goes,progress at your own pace,but never quit asking "how can I do THAT?". Just ride safely enough to talk about it afterwords... It all works in cycles,and versatility is key to being able to broaden your personal horizons.