Note to New Members ×

New Brand

Jack M

Theses new snowboards are of a capped construction which is of the poorest type. Wonder how good they will be? Even Ride snowboards finally concieded to the capped/sidewall construction and made there 2006 Timeless a sidewall board. Sidewall construction is much stronger and holds an edge better its also a lot smoother. Although it is nice to see small private companies trying to make it in the big, bad world of winter sports retail.

They will be demo'ing at the ECES.

maybe they know something about caps that you do not.

Isn't F2 still cap on their product? I've ridden plenty of cap const. decks that handle and hold an edge quite well when compared to sandwich counterparts. Have a '99/'00 SL deck that's still holding up very well-plenty of life left. I can see the potential issues in having to repair a damaged sidewall.

Be interesting to see the reviews on these decks. Noticed the massive amount of taper as well - sounds like a nice freecarve/all-mt. combo. Always encouraging to see new mfg coming out with carving gear - I think it's a good sign. :biggthump

LOL Phil...

flying_burito, what is it about capped construction that would make it a poor ride? I have always like my F2s and Protons.

I hate the idea that I have to have broadband and Flash to use the site, as if they are saying "If you don't have these things, you are not cool and are not welcome here". Wow...I guess I'm not cool enough to buy one of your boards then :lol:

But, the idea is great and the boards look like a lot of fun. They remind me of the Customcrafts that NateW was talking about having made a couple of years ago, a narrow twin-tipped carving board. I thought it was a cool idea at the time.

is that the whole reason caps were made in the first place was to cut costs.

though some companies claim caps do provide some nice things such as more snap most have gotten off that boat for better edge hold and durability,

caps blow apart very easily

looks like these boards have a aluminum peice in the tail too, these guys are not scoring any points with me on constuction, the boards with the aluminum like that tend to blow apart mix that with a cap and you have a burton Alp.

I do like that these boards have a tail kick though, I want to demo one

Cap construction - the wood layers do not extend all the way to the sides of the board. The board has a cap on it that meets up (pinches) with the steel edges and sometimes these boards will be rapped in fiberglass to make them stiffer, effectively to make up for the missing wood layers. These boards tend to be in the lower line-ups for some manufacturers for beginners, but some companies still exclusively use cap construction on all boards.

Sidewall constrcution - wood layers extend all the way to the sides of the board making a "sidewall" or sometimes reffered to as a slantwall if it is angled. There is more material underfoot giving the board better edge hold. Then layers of glass can be added to give the board better rebound characteristics. Yes it is stronger just because there is more material there. Park boards are built like this to take the beating of riding rails.

Look at a downhill ski racers skis, they are hitting what 70 - 80 mph. They wouldn't be caught dead on a capped ski at these speeds. They have perfectly vertical sidewalls to get the maximum weight over the maximum amount of ski as possible.

They look cool - I wish they had some photos that weren't ultra-turbo-foreshortened so I could get a better look at them ;)

That's what happens when you get a marketing guy controling your web content/design as opposed to real users... :rolleyes: There DOES seem to be alot of info missing. It is pretty though... might work to draw skiers into alpine snowboarding...

Cap construction - the wood layers do not extend all the way to the sides of the board.

Sidewall constrcution - wood layers extend all the way to the sides of the board making a "sidewall" or sometimes reffered to as a slantwall if it is angled.

You've got it backwards. With traditional sandwich construction (what you're calling sidewall construction) there is sidewall material such as ABS plastic, Phenolic, or in some cases P-tex, and it can be as much as a centimeter thick.

Prior's sandwich construction:

http://www.priorsnowboards.com/images/construction.gif

In cap construction, there is no sidewall material. The glass and topsheet material wrap down around the sides of the core, and the core extends closer to the edge.

Atomic's Beta (cap) construction:

http://winter.atomicski.com/images/beta_tech.jpg

skis have sidewalls

same goes for K2 race stock, Fischer race stock, Volkl and most of the other comanies that offer race ski

the stuff in the shops are usually caps but if you look at the gear most of the racers have they have sidewalls on their skis the funny part is that they usually have the same graphics as the consumer stuff thats in the shops.

a good example of this was the volkl P 60s, buy them at your local shop and you get a capped ski, but spot a serious racer and they are on a ski with the same topsheet but its flat and has a sidewall.

god Im sorry but the more I look through that site, the less interest I have in it. Its mostly advertising for the "president"

and crap like this:

10/02/2005

Stephen Ciuccoli, a fashion photographer, has signed on as key photographer for Surf-Rodz national/international ad campaign. Ciuccoli has worked for Playboy International, American Express and Grolsch Beer. He is emerging as one of the top new talents in the fashion industry.

WHO CARES?!?!?!?!?! Got NOTHING to do with making top-level snowboards

something tells me these will be about $800 or more and will likely ride like poo.

I know we all want to see more quality alpine-specific companies out there, but...this looks more like a "hey, look at me!" than a focus on quality snowboards

skis have sidewalls

same goes for K2 race stock, Fischer race stock, Volkl and most of the other comanies that offer race ski

Huh? I've seen a lot of skis with cap construction.

Maybe this isn't a snowboard company at all, maybe it's a ficticious company invented by some college student in a web design class.

I give him a C-

heh heh

My experience with cap vs. sandwich is, the cost.

Companies use sandwich construction to get a design finalized or for the race team, it gives them more flexiblity with the design without having to invest in a mold. They can also customize the skis much easier. Once the design is final it goes to cap, or a hybrid. Off the shelf tend to be cap. I have a friend who is a tech rep for Rossi, I could ask him if anyone is REALLY interested....

god Im sorry but the more I look through that site, the less interest I have in it. Its mostly advertising for the "president"

and crap like this:

10/02/2005

Stephen Ciuccoli, a fashion photographer, has signed on as key photographer for Surf-Rodz national/international ad campaign. Ciuccoli has worked for Playboy International, American Express and Grolsch Beer. He is emerging as one of the top new talents in the fashion industry.

WHO CARES?!?!?!?!?! Got NOTHING to do with making top-level snowboards

something tells me these will be about $800 or more and will likely ride like poo.

I know we all want to see more quality alpine-specific companies out there, but...this looks more like a "hey, look at me!" than a focus on quality snowboards

Compare this site to Coilers. With Coiler, you know the boards are doing the talking! I wonder what Bruce's marketing budget is?